F.E.A.R. - No Sound

Jeremy

Just the one that goes with FEAR imo, but I guess you removed too much with nLite I'm afraid. (But what that would be, I really don't know) I wouldn't have any other explanation for this right now.

• 1 month later...

YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!! :thumbup

I've made it!!! :D

Or better, ehm...., someone else done it for me.

I found that the problem is *pheraps* linked to nlite, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, the problem is caused by file Imaadp32.acm, that is missing!!!!!

Download it (google) and put it in C:\windows\system32!

Et voilà! No need to reinstall or install the game/codecs.

Oh, all credits go to him:

http://forum.justgamers.de/fear/thread.php?threadid=684&sid

Hope this will help someone in the future!

Hmm, that doesn't make sense at all if you ask me. Afaik FEAR uses MP3 Audio, so I really wonder what the IMA ADPCM Codec has got anything to do with MP3 Audio... (IMA Audio you will most likely find in QuickTime MOV-files).

But oh well, perhaps these two sites can help as well;

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/277p1.html

http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/How_to_i...ows_XP_2000.htm

Is it true then? Are you allready capable of removing this codec too with nLite nowadays?

I did? :rolleyes:

Haha! It's just some sites I came across upon entering "IMA ADPCM" in google, I thought I should shares those.

NP, I too was curious to know what the problem could be even though I didn't have the problem. But I still don't know what IMA ADPCM has anything to do with MP3...

• 3 weeks later...
might just be a setting in the game. did you enable the eax thingy unde sound options in fear?

Dude, it's been solved now for a while. Read the post about the DLL files. Anyway, I uninstalled FEAR, didn't even like it that much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I hate to drum up such an old post but Google has this as the only thing on the internet even close to my issue.

I also suffer no sound during gameplay in F.E.A.R. Extraction Point. I'd love to check these codecs everyone talks about above but the instructions given are for very old versions of Windows. I am running Vista Ultimate edition and everything is VERY different. The sound properties is in no way laid out even close to what the instructions state and in my start menu I do not have any ACE codec control panel. I do have third party codecs installed but ACE doesn't rung a bell so it must be somewhere else i got the codecs.

In Vista, how do i MANUALLY look at installed Codecs in order to reprioritize them so that I may have sound back in F.E.A.R.?

I have already verified I have the latest sound drivers for my on-board sound and latest graphic drivers as well.

OH! And on the nLite issue -- these are original disks bought from the store. From reading here I see nLite must be some sort of issue relating to burned software or mounted ISOs. That should not be my case here as I have never utilized this nLite technology.

<<<EDIT>>> I forgot to add -- I found the info on trying a reinstall of Imaadp32.acm -- but that is impossible on Windows Vista even though I am an Admin. Even on an Admin level you cannot take control of the System 32 folder so you cannot manually write to it. Even if UAC is turned off, and verifying my account is a full admin, you will still get an "access denied" message when trying to copy the Imaadp32.acm file into the folder. This is highly frustrating as the file IS different from the one available online. The file I downloaded is 18.5 kb while the one already in the system32 folder is only 17kb. I think this may be my issue, but this cannot be the method to fix it sine that folder is protected.

Chris

Edited by cndittmar

• 2 years later...

i actually have the same problem there. i have the files in my system32 folder. however i'm running XP... and i can't replace it in my case because some other program uses it as soon as i start windows

EDIT--

i replaced the files and... no difference. still no sound. good i made backups. but yeah, nothing works.

Edited by kreits