BlockList (.reg) that contains 8000+ bad domains.

Ok, noticed some differences between adding your Reg file, and using the Host file that I listed above.

1. On some sites I visit, there is a brief popup, that then disappears using just your Reg file. If I use the host file, I don't even get the popup at all.

2. Ads are still visible on many of the webpages I go to. Not sure if your Reg file was designed to remove ads from websites or not, but it appears it doesn't.

Some examples of webpages that I go to, in which Popups come up, and ads are shown, using just your Reg file. Again, if I use the Hosts file, these websites don't show any ads or popups at all.

http://www.bluesnews.com/

http://www.warp2search.net/

http://www.winbeta.org/

This reg file was never intended to be a popup or adblocking mechanism to begin with. It's meant to add domains to Internet Explorer's restricted sites zone. What this does is prevent execution of ActiveX, Java, unsafe scripts, etc from those listed domains. And there are so many better ways to block ads and popups than using a host file to do it.

Edited by RogueSpear

For those wanting to use Boardbabes reg file, do this

Create a .cmd file whatever the name to export your current settings and import this sweet file. Place in same folder as the Domains_BlockList.reg

REG EXPORT "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains" _DomainBKup.reg

REGEDIT /S Domains_BlockList.reg

EXIT

Yes I removed the date to make it work with all. Just rename to Domains_BlockList.reg

You then have a copy of your previous settings in _DomainBKup.reg.

Edited by maxXPsoft

It is possible to auto-update the Blocklist, with help of AutoIT!

For example: HitManPro (dutch software, anti spyware software). Everytime when you run the HitManPro, its auto updating the Blocklist.reg

Dont ask me HOW:p but I think its a nice feature to auto-update the blocklist (@ ua install runatonce)

(sorry for bad english)

edit: http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

Edited by 2forza

timeless: Thank you for your positive respons, it is much appriciated! :hello: I'm not sure what the keyname for blocked domains in Win98 would be or if it even exists, but if you would find out, I could surely adapt the .reg file to apply to a different key.

maxXPsoft: In case you didn't see i mention this is the first post hehe :P That file is NOT the same as my file. That file is indeed recommended to implement together with my file as it blocks known ActiveX controllers, but it has nothing to do at all with the Blocked Domains / Zone restrictions. So applying that file also would just be an additional security measure, although all ActiveX controllers will be blocked when you try reach a domain that is in my list, and nearly all the ActiveX controllers source domains from that list are covered in my list anyway :)

2forza: Yes, that would not be a difficult task for AutoIt, although then the list would "have" to be hosted at the same URL, with the same filename and be non-compressed at each update (1mb+) which would not be verry convenient, also I don't know how frequent I will update the list on my own ;)

It's pretty good as is atm.

Edited by BoardBabe

That other contains 8 extra entries more than your file similar to this

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{04ccff26-7d52-4e42-bf6a-f8ece0896eb7}]

"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

I'm sure I must be misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

Again, my file does not touch that registry key at all, it adds domains under the following regkey.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains]

Adding domains to the Restriced Site Zones and blocking ActiveX controllers (CLSID's) are not the same thing.

Edited by BoardBabe

This reg file was never intended to be a popup or adblocking mechanism to begin with. It's meant to add domains to Internet Explorer's restricted sites zone. What this does is prevent execution of ActiveX, Java, unsafe scripts, etc from those listed domains. And there are so many better ways to block ads and popups than using a host file to do it.

Still kinda new to all this Spyware/Adware/Blocking stuff, but which ways are better than a host file for blocking ads and popups?

I use a combination of several items in my unattended, including Boardbabes reg file, the host file I listed, some ActiveX blocking reg entries, Spyware Blaster, and the popup blocker on Yahoo's toolbar.

If you have something better, stronger, faster than a host file (and some of the other stuff I have listed), please share it...as I know there are some slowdowns with the hostfile I use because of its size. :D

For a home user I like to use a little freebie called eDexter.

I like this little utility, though you will need to read a little bit and experiment to get the blocking just how you want it. This essentially works just like host file blocking with the following differences:

- It works as a proxy, so it will only affect those applications that use IE's connection settings. Host file blocking will block all TCP/IP communications that use DNS.

- It uses wildcards instead of a flat list. This is why it's so much faster, uses less resources, and will block some things that may not make it on to a static list.

With that said, it still wouldn't hurt to use something like Google Toolbar, MSN Toolbar, etc for additional pop up blocking. If you are using something like Norton Internet Security, McAffee, etc. Some kind of retail software firewall package, it should have some pretty ad and popup blocking all it's own and you probably would not need something like eDexter.