BlockList (.reg) that contains 8000+ bad domains.

Maybe this is just me... but I noticed a few domains on the list that seem harsh to block.

Examples:

adpepper.dk

jamba.no

Dead domain example:

dk-forhandler.dk (does not exist)

Other than that this looks like a generally good idea!

Thanks for sharing Boardbabe.

Thank you for your feedback.

The list is updated as requested.

(Jamba sites are part of an ad-program listed as adware, and therefore initially added to the list.)

Please inform me if any dead domains are found or you have any additions to the list.

Edited by BoardBabe

Nice work BoardBabe. I don't know if you remember a previous discussion we had where I couldn't remember the name of a list I discontinued using. It was called IE-Spyad. This list you have seems to be much better than the IE-Spyad list which was far too inclusive in what it blocked.

I had an idea for your list. If you find that there is a growing list of things that really shouldn't be blocked, but they appear each time the list is updated, you could make a text file of those items that should be removed. Then have a script search out those items (from the text file) in the list and remove them. I had started such a thing with the IE-Spyads list, but they really just had far too many false hits to be practical and my free time was getting short.

Anyway, just an idea.. and again, nice job :thumbup

As I explained in the first post, this list is way more complex than using only spywareblaster and all domains are ping tested in the list, so they should be valid, also the domains are a compiled list of among others SpywareBlaster. If I recall correctly SpywareBlaster on its own blocks bout 1500 domains.

Another advantage is that (also previously explained) applies to all users, while most aintispyware apps apply to HKCU/HKU. And this .reg file can easily be applied during UA install.

However by all means please do use your favourite antispyware app if that is what you prefere!

@ggg: The Domains.rar contains a .txt file that lists all the domains that will be blocked using the Domains_BlockList_22.01.06.reg file. Just for the ease of reading :)

@RogueSpear: Thank you for your idea! Basicly that is verry close to how I have compiled this list.

I't is verry easy to me to recompile the list making an exceptionlist.txt or additionslist.txt or similar to either add or remove domains. Basicly this is how I compiled the .reg file with a little app I created :)

Please do let me know if you have any requests to additions/removals etc. to the list....

And thank you for the feedback.

If I recall correctly, SpyBot - Search And Destroy blocks about 8,500 "threats". Are there any relation between this .reg file and SpyBot? :whistle:

PS: A good job indeed! :o)

Edited by Anderz

Anderz: Yes there is a relation, SpyBot seach and destroy blocks quite correctly 8,500 threats. However only about 1500 domains, the rest is ActiveX controllers mainly and about 200 coockies. My list contains ALL of the domains SpyBot blocks, plus an additional 6500 thats retrieved from other spyware apps updated definition lists etc.

Therefore use this list together with the ActiveX blocklist i've mentioned abve, and you would have a better protection than SpyBot at the Domains and ActiveX part...

The advantage is you can apply the .reg files during UA, they are more complex and will apply to all users. Also applyint this .reg file (and the ActiveX file if you will) will stay in the system and keep your computer at least somewhat secure, even if the end-user should choose not to install any antispyware app, or uninstall an app that are installed on the system. (Your system will always have a basic security)

Hope this clears things up a bit :)

And PS. It's not just about how "many" threats (in my file domains) that are covered, it's how accurate and relevant the domains are. An area my file should be pretty good at... :)

Edited by BoardBabe

Whoa!

This looks very good! No matter how many times you tell them to use Firefox, no matter how many IE-icons you remove after a complete new installation, somehow they always manage to get IE back together with all problems that it holds...

I will be using this!

++

Zl.

Don't get me wrong, this reg file really seems promising--however, what about registry size? With 8000+ domains, that will add it seems you would be safer surfing the net, but will this possibly hurt system performance at all? Will this list of domains be accessible to alternative browsers, like Firefox and Opera? Honestly, the blocked domains really seem like a good idea, but do the pros outweigh the possible cons?