Question - Windows XP License

Chris.Casey

You can run it for about 30 days before XP starts being a bear about activation. For XP CD testing purposes, I would't bother with getting a license, you're not using it long enough to care.... If you're using for a long-term purpose (read this as: longer than 30 days), YEAH!! You NEED a license because after 30 days, you HAVE to activate!

Edited by dougiefresh

technically i would say no, because it's not a seperate computer.

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx (the same applies with XP Pro, but with "Two" processors...

If you're paranoid like me about constant hits to microsoft about new installations, use a firewall and set your VMWare to "NAT" and block it from your firewall.. or disable the VMWare's Network usage all together.

Every Guest OS needs to be licenced. For Windows XP every vitual computer with a copy of Windows installed needs a licence. MS recently changed the licence terms for Windows 2003 and now you only need a Licence to use a virtual installation of Windows 2003. This change does not apply to Windows XP.

Example: If you have 5 VMs with XP and 5 VMs with 2003 but you will only be running 1 of each at a time you will need 5 XP licences and 1 2003 licence. (This is in addition th the host computer's licence.)