Unofficial update - new version - crashed system!

emarkay

I will admit though, I love the Unofficial service pack. One of the PC's in my house did get it's 98 install botched. However, that was due to the pc already having problems with it's install in the first place such as registry errors being persistant. Same pc was redone afterward and works like a dream.

Edited by Chozo4

This endless loop of registry checking is not unofficial pack's fault. It is a bug of Q311561 update (which is a OFFICIAL update, and there is exactly same version in the unofficial pack). Please, try to google. Even without unofficial service pack, this Q311561 update causes mentioned problem on some systems.

One of the reasons of this loop is bad memory modules. I highly recommend that you should check your ram modules with a program such that MemTest. Could you write your detailed hardware list ?

Also make sure that you installed latest version of your mainboard and vga drivers (especially IAA).

Did you read installation guide of the unofficial pack ?

You think OFFICIAL service packs are perfect ? IMO, they're not. :no: For example, my old machine (which has old VIA Apollo VPX chipset), has serious problems with XP Service Pack 2.

This endless loop of registry checking is not unofficial pack's fault. It is a bug of Q311561 update (which is a OFFICIAL update, and there is exactly same version in the unofficial pack). Please, try to google. Even without unofficial service pack, this Q311561 update causes mentioned problem on some systems.

One of the reasons of this loop is bad memory modules. I highly recommend that you should check your ram modules with a program such that MemTest. Could you write your detailed hardware list ?

Also make sure that you installed latest version of your mainboard and vga drivers (especially IAA).

You think OFFICIAL service packs are perfect ? IMO, they're not. :no: For example, my old machine (which has old VIA Apollo VPX chipset), has serious problems with XP Service Pack 2.

Sorry for the "TFN" comment - I DO understand the B,S&T in 'freeware' type development - a labor of love and devotion - I use Flight Sim a lot and a lot of content is 'homebrewed". And I DO know it's unsupported and it's not possible to test every petmutation of usages. But I guess I just seemed frustrated... BTW, still on the laptop, but I am getting desktop back online as I speak....

Will look at RAM and test it - never had any reasaon to do so. I have the latest Intel drivers, and will confirm so, and FYI get off a email of hardware, and software. I skimmed the manual, yes, but did take the time to study it. Will do so this weekend.

I may not want to reload the entire thing, but if you have some ""reversable"" tests you may want to try on this unit, I will do what I can to help so others don't get so bothered...

MRK

I highly recommend that you should check your ram modules with a program such that MemTest

MemTest never helped me; IMHO Prime95 is much better at revealing RAM errors.

Especially if you choose Advanced settings (Password 9876) and then Priority 9, followed by Torture Test.

I highly recommend that you should check your ram modules with a program such that MemTest

Especially if you choose Advanced settings (Password 9876) and then Priority 9, followed by Torture Test.

Prime95 having errors usually means that the processor (not RAM) is unstable. The motherboard may not be giving the processor chip enough Vcore.

Can that update be uninstalled? Maybe then optionally reinstalled by the SP?

Running Prime95 now - so far passed all 380 of the 10K and at 119 of the 12K tests. I have saved my entire System Information data. I emailed it to you via the board email service

I have IAA 2.2.2 (2.3, the newest, didn't work) VGA driver 6.7 (the latest), the INF update for the 820 chipset, and the remainder are the newest from Dell, some that may have been superceded by installation from the Intel ones.

Do you mean this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61749

That's a running diatribe of what to install in what order...

or this

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=30818

Just a list of changes to the SP.

I may have missed it if it's not any of those (I have reviewed those). IS THERE a 'guide or manual' that at least deatils the files that are changed ans why they are?

I also noted that the update crashed Norton System Works 2003, before I rebooted...

Like I said, I appreciate the development of this and do want to help.

BTW, since MS isgoing to discontinue official support for 98SE, DO get a list of what Windows Updates are applied to your systems. Here's my list.

First, the "MS Security CD" from 2004, then these:

Security Update, February 13, 2002 (MSXML 4.0) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

Update, December 22, 1999

Mapped Drives Shutdown Update

Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package

Internet Explorer Navigation Sound Update

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 Series (KB885492)

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB891781)

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB891711)

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB888113)

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB896358)

Security Update for DirectX 9 (KB904706)

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB908519)

Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB833989)

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB905915)

MRK

I have IAA 2.2.2 (2.3, the newest, didn't work) VGA driver 6.7 (the latest), the INF update for the 820 chipset, and the remainder are the newest from Dell, some that may have been superceded by installation from the Intel ones.

You need IAA 2.3. Why it didn't work? Before installing it, you have to install latest Intel Chipset Software Utility, firstly.

I may have missed it if it's not any of those (I have reviewed those). IS THERE a 'guide or manual' that at least deatils the files that are changed ans why they are?

I also noted that the update crashed Norton System Works 2003, before I rebooted...

I mean this: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38193

As already stated in this guide, you must close all open programs. Please, read carefully "Installation Guide" part of this guide.

You need IAA 2.3. Why it didn't work? Before installing it, you have to install latest Intel Chipset Software Utility, firstly.

Will look at this issue again - I have the latest Chupset utility as listed on the Intel site. I also finally did get the latest V2.3. 0.2160 IAA and it is solid and working.

I mean this: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38193

As already stated in this guide, you must close all open programs. Please, read carefully "Installation Guide" part of this guide.

I had only explorer and systray loaded. I manually ran Norton it to look at something before I rebooted and it gave a small message box error. As for the guide, I have 4.10.222B, not A, and installed in order shown:

Windows 98SE, Dell Video driver (to get 256 color mode), MS Security disk (contains IE6 and MS updates to 98SE up to 2/2004), all system drivers (Dell and Intel) and updates, and then DirectX9.0c.

I did however have my firewall (Trend Micro PCS 2006 installed BUT DISABLED AND REMOVED FROM MEM when loading the SP) and all 12 (as I recall) new Win Updatees completed.

Is there an incompatibility with the SP and and CURRENT windows 98SE Win Updates that would affect if it was installed AFTER these updates are installed? I want to have the system Microsoft "clean" before adding any other programs.

Did you get tle hardware list email?

MRK

Edited by emarkay

-a couple notes:

IAA: -some older intel chipsets can NOT use the latest versions, and Intel (in some places) notes this; one of my puters has 815 chipset, and the latest IAA totally screwed everything... upon research, I found intel notes mentioning that certain chipsets must use older IAA...

-Norton: (sigh... here we go again lol) Norton is Horrible for stability! How many times, how many people, how LONG must this be reiterated? Even if you don't have it "currently in memory", I've found, many times, just having it on the system AT ALL causes many unexplained headaches with win98se, and those unexplained headaches GO AWAY once it is (totally) removed!... just an experienced (and agonized) note...

gl...

>;]

IAA: -some older intel chipsets can NOT use the latest versions, and Intel (in some places) notes this; one of my puters has 815 chipset, and the latest IAA totally screwed everything... upon research, I found intel notes mentioning that certain chipsets must use older IAA...

It is described here: http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-015001.htm

# Intel Application Accelerator version 2.3 does not support the Intel® 845MP and Intel® 845MZ chipsets. For support, use Intel Application Accelerator version 2.2.2.

# Intel Application Accelerator version 2.3 does not support the Intel 830 Chipset family. For support, use Intel Application Accelerator version 2.2.2.

# The Intel Application Accelerator is not compatible with the Intel® 815EM chipset.

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/...b/cs-009319.htm
If you are using large Western Digital* hard drives that are larger than 137GB, it is recommended that you install version 2.3 of the Intel® Application Accelerator.

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/...b/cs-001410.htm

The Intel® Application Accelerator will not work with the following Intel® chipsets:

* Intel® 440BX chipset

* Intel® 440LX chipset

* Intel® 440EX chipset

* Intel® 440GX chipset

* Intel® 440FX chipset

* Intel® 430FX chipset

* Intel® 430VX chipset

* Intel® 430HX chipset

* Intel® 430TX chipset

This is really interesting. The installer really refuses to install IAA2.3 on these systems, but the driver itself recognizes PIIX, PIIX3, PIIX southbridges and what's real surprise, IAA2.3 package contains hidden INF file for these chipsets:

[INTEL_HDC]
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1230.DeviceDesc% = DUAL_GOOD_IDE, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1230 ; Device ID for Intel PIIX (DUAL_GOOD_IDE)
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010.DeviceDesc% = DUAL_GOOD_IDE, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010 ; Device ID for Intel PIIX3 (DUAL_GOOD_IDE)
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111.DeviceDesc% = DUAL_GOOD_IDE, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111 ; Device ID for Intel PIIX4 (DUAL_GOOD_IDE)
%MF\GOODPRIMARY.DeviceDesc% = GOOD_IDE, MF\GOODPRIMARY
%MF\GOODSECONDARY.DeviceDesc% = GOOD_IDE, MF\GOODSECONDARY

Does anybody know if there are any problems with these older chipsets and IAA? I tried to install it on older BX board and everything looks fine so far. This results in two benefits

- 48-bit LBA support

- real disk names in Device Manager (not DISK TYPE47)

Any drawbacks or compatbility problems?

Petr

Edited by Petr

Prime95 having errors usually means that the processor (not RAM) is unstable. The motherboard may not be giving the processor chip enough Vcore.

where can I get the Prime95 program, azagahl & RJARRRPCGP?

of course, service packs of any kind whether official or unofficial aren't perfect. when I first installed XP SP2 on my brother's xp laptop, it hosed the Smart Link modem drivers and the modem didnt work properly. Smart Link had to post up a newer modem driver a few months after SP2 was released to fix the problem. even the Win2000 SP4 pack can cause some problems on certain Win2k machines.

not NEVER... I think that the majority of people that try this out either has good results, or disasters like this. Unofficial doesn't mean bad... it just means non-production quality, and possibly also alpha-quality bugs... It's a luck of the draw, I guess. (Although it seems that most people DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM with the pack).

I even installed the unofficial Win98se SP on an old Pentium 1 PC and on a Pentium 3 PC and the SP worked fine on both computers I've tested. Maybe the pack is incompatible with emarkay's laptop computer.

I strongly agree with PsycoUnc about Norton software. DUMP IT ASAP! Norton is a major resource hog and should NOT be used on slow machines. even on fast PCs, Norton can drag performance down unless you have installed the fastest CPU available and you have at least a gig of RAM installed.

use an alternative program for norton.

This is really interesting. The installer really refuses to install IAA2.3 on these systems, but the driver itself recognizes PIIX, PIIX3, PIIX southbridges and what's real surprise, IAA2.3 package contains hidden INF file for these chipsets:

[INTEL_HDC]
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1230.DeviceDesc% = DUAL_GOOD_IDE, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1230; Device ID for Intel PIIX (DUAL_GOOD_IDE)
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010.DeviceDesc% = DUAL_GOOD_IDE, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010; Device ID for Intel PIIX3 (DUAL_GOOD_IDE)
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111.DeviceDesc% = DUAL_GOOD_IDE, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7111; Device ID for Intel PIIX4 (DUAL_GOOD_IDE)
%MF\GOODPRIMARY.DeviceDesc% = GOOD_IDE, MF\GOODPRIMARY
%MF\GOODSECONDARY.DeviceDesc% = GOOD_IDE, MF\GOODSECONDARY

Does anybody know if there are any problems with these older chipsets and IAA? I tried to install it on older BX board and everything looks fine so far. This results in two benefits

- 48-bit LBA support

- real disk names in Device Manager (not DISK TYPE47)

Any drawbacks or compatbility problems?

Petr

Good find. The hidden INF files inside the IAA 2.3 pack are named W98_PIIX [for Win98 systems], WME_PIIX [for WinME systems] and W2K_PIIX [for Win2k/XP systems]. Use Snoopy81's WinPack tool to open the data1.cab or data2.cab files inside the IAA 2.3 pack (you'll need to extract those .cab files first by viewing iaa23_enu.exe in Winzip). You can get the Winpack utility here:

http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/snoopy81/en/winpack.htm

then you can extract the W98_PIIX, WME_PIIX or W2K_PIIX file and then rename any one of them as the intelata.inf file.

Also bundled in the IAA 2.3 package are the Q274370 Cdvsd.vxd hotfixes for Win98 & WinME.

Drawbacks? yes. Installing IAA 2.3 on supported or unsupported systems will rename and disable the SMARTVSD.VXD driver (on Win98/ME PCs) as this file causes conflicts with IAA.

Thanks MDGx.

Too bad Intel Application Accelerator does not work at all under Win95. It will work under NT4 BUT with SP6a installed.

Drawbacks? yes. Installing IAA 2.3 on supported or unsupported systems will rename and disable the SMARTVSD.VXD driver (on Win98/ME PCs) as this file causes conflicts with IAA.

SMARTVSD.VXD is replaced by INTELVSD.VXD.

Petr