Network issues

D_S

I have 3 nearly identicial gateway pc's, 450mhz, 64+ meg ram that I recently applied the sp to. Since the sp's install the pc's will no longer autologin using tweakui. The pc will boot up without issue but no login (ms windows at first since then added ms's novell client).

TCPIP is functional but no file sharing services, fails to browse the network. Log the pc out and then back in and seems fine. However, the pc is not seen in the workgroup from any other pc except one of the 3 the sp is applied to. Most of my pc's are xp...they can't connect to or view any shares, but the win98 pc's can. Up until I loaded this sp this was never an issue.

These pc's are part of old time clock system which are always on. Because of the program I can't upgrade to a newer os and on those rare occassions when a power outage lasts longer than the ups the pc's are useless for their intended process until they can be manually logged in.

• 3 months later...

D_S, you will need to reset your network connections and re-enable file sharing service in the Network control panel app after installing the 98SE service pack on ALL of your Win98se computers. Also try removing both MS Client for Microsoft Networks and MS Client for Netware Networks from Network control panel, reboot and then re-install the Clients for both MS Networks and Netware Networks and reboot.

and also, see MS article 272594 on using WinIpCfg to release DHCP info and to renew it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272594/

I have had problems in the past where the autologon feature would just stop working all of the sudden. And this was not in combination with sp2. So my guess is either the tweakui's autologin is buggy or there is some patch that happens to be in sp2 that causes it to stop working.

i do not recommened using tweakui's autologin feature as it makes your network very insecure and can allow unauthorized users to mess up your network. i guess a win98 hotfix completely disabled it.

• 2 weeks later...

However, the pc is not seen in the workgroup from any other pc except one of the 3 the sp is applied to. Most of my pc's are xp...they can't connect to or view any shares, but the win98 pc's can. Up until I loaded this sp this was never an issue.

I have the same problem but its not cause by the sp

Can any 1 help us.

I tryed above methods still don't work.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I don't know if this is a permanent fix but i got

my network working seein all computer from both sides.

What i did was went 2 the C:\windows and run Winipcfg.exe

Release all then renew all.Then it started working again.

And yes the XP computeris the host.

looks like releasing and renewing DHCP leases did the trick. that resets all the network connections.

In Win2k/XP systems, to release and renew all network adapters, open the Command Prompt, type in "ipconfig /release_all", hit Enter and then type in "ipconfig /renew_all".

hankjrfan00 might also want to try using WinIpCfg to release all and renew all network adapters to reset the network connections on his machines.

These commands work under all 9x/NTx 32-bit Oses:

IPCONFIG /release_all

IPCONFIG /renew_all

But if you prefer to do this thru clicking buttons [the graphical (UI) way]: ;)

- 9x OSes:

run WINIPCFG -> release and then renew all addresses for all installed adapters.

- NTx OSes:

download + install Windows NT4/2000/XP TCP/IP Config v1.0 32-bit tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release...releaseid=31170

WNTIPCFG.EXE [152 KB]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win...Ipcfg_setup.exe

Windows NT4/2000 require Microsoft Installer (MSI) [1.73 MB, free] already installed:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/Win...US/InstMsiW.exe

HTH