Releasing: SysAngel DVD Generator (free)

I installed & ran the program today. Quite amazing. One thing I think that would be helpful would be to have a language selector at the starting point, so that you would only d/l the one language version specified as there seems to be lots of different language version of things downloaded, which make the creation process drag on, as does the downloading .And if there was ever a way to use this with an NLited i386 folder.... :thumbup

Hi CBC!

Concerning nLite: yes, you can tell the Generator to use a nLited i386. It will accept it without complaining. Consistency of a i386 directory is checked against the presence of a dozen of typical files. Here they are:

"ARIAL.TT", "ATAPI.SY", "CALC.EX", "CMD.EX", "COUR.TT", "DRIVER.CA", "HIMEM.SY",

"NET.EX", "NTLDR", "NTOSKRNL.EX", "WINHELP.HL"

There should be more than 4,000 files, too, a SYSTEM32 subdir, and a ASMS subdir.

So, if your nLited i386 matches these criteria, no pb. And if doesn't, please let me know, so I'll add a checkbox to avoid the consistency test (advanced users...)

Concerning the languages: you're right. Presently, the program only downloads MUI packs if the i386 flavor is English, as they are useless otherwise. I considered the weight of the packs, the size of a DVD, the speed of today's ADSL connections, and well... but it seems right to me that in a next version, you could choose this, and not only this, but as well what selection of softs you want. But there's a second possibility. Well, we've got a LinPE :) That means that we can put everything on the DVD, then add a menu on Linux to let the choice be done THEN. It's good to know that on a DVD, you've got everything ready... Maybe I'll add menus in the Generator AND in Linux as well, so you can choose what you put on the DVD, AND what is installed on the target computer when you use the DVD.

What's your opinion ?...

Regards

Natan

http://www.windowsdream.com/dvdgen/index.fr.html -- Graver une distrib Windows complète et silencieuse sur un DVD automatiquement

http://www.windowsdream.com/updater/index.fr.html -- Mises à jour automatiques des softs de votre PC (freeware/opensource)

http://ping.windowsdream.com -- Partimage Is Not Ghost

http://www.windowsdream.com/index.fr.html -- La page corporate

Well, I had just created my new RC5 Nlite edition & wanted to try it out with SysAngel DVD, but I kept getting a message about it was looking for a certain size i386 folder, and would not let me use it. So I had to go back & pull out a vanilla version of an XP i386 folder for this DVD build. So I dumped my Nlited folder, preventing me from checking the criteria you listed for it to comply. :(

AS far as language packs, selecting them at the beginning would be great. EVen though most of the people who have an interest in this project do have broadband, the Tweakers Credo of "less is better" is true! :)

So less "stuff" to pull down before building a disc, the better. So haing an "Options To Install" menu, if it can be done, would be fantastic!

Also instead of including the biggie Adobe Reader, why not just the cute. small Foxit Reader? :yes:

Finally a linux based windows installer...Now we can get down to some serious business.

I always thought something was seriously missing in windows installation.

You have your visually appealing setup...XP(well at least better than 98 etc)

But why oh why is there no sound????

Linux based install may give us the opportunity to have a selection of music playing as it installs.

Probably be MP3 based with video capabilites(who wants BORING PICTURES)

and orchestral ending when setup is done...

With linux the possiblities are endless.

Im downloading and checking this out..

Man this could be huge!!!

PS

this could also mean finally getting XP onto the XBOX as well!!!(modded)

Joshua123

Hey! I wish I had someone like you to give help and advice :)

The MP3 idea is not bad. It's not always evident, with Linux, to set the soundcard up, but yes this can be done. On another hand, I wanted the RAM image not to be bigger than 256 Mo, because this is the memory size they currently sell everywhere -- and who would like to install XP with less memory?! even to my mother-in-law, I wouldn't do that ;) and the X11 is taking a looooot of room. As for XBox... I don't know, never tested such a thing!

But I think a VERY interesting approach would be to add more NICs, and above all, wifi cards. And ADSL support out of the box. The Linux PE offers very very nice possibilities, that I've coded but didn't advertise yet. See:

• Take 3 files out of your output directory: initrd.gz, kernel, isolinux.cfg.
  • Then, burn a CD with only these 3 files, and isolinux.bin as boot sector (no emul, boot size = 4 sectors).
  • Boot it! you can install the same image than what you've got on your DVD with only this.

More. Use pxelinux instead of isolinux (see PING, http://ping.windowsdream.com, for a working example, and ajust the pxelinux parameters with isolinux values) and put kernel and initrd.gz on a RIS server. This works too, the exact same way.

In this case, the Linux script asks for a Windows XP CD, and use it the same way the DVD Generator does. It even applies the Service Pack (yes, linux can :)...)

Of course, files must be downloaded from network. Either LAN, either Internet. Supported protocols are FTP, HTTP, and Samba (= Microsoft Shares). Proxies are supported. The current kernel supports a LOT of NICs, and we can improve this. (Another thing about this kind of installation: you can take the c.7z file the DVD Generator creates, and share it with all other files. In this case, the Windows CD is not needed any more.)

There are finally other advantages with a Linux PE:

• We can use already NTFS-formated partitions, and (re)install Windows on them, a clean way, without formating it (Microsoft setup cannot, or you've got to install on another part, which makes a discrageful D:\Windows NOBODY wants).
  • If choosing to format, we can pre-partition the way we want, an unattended way (you cannot tell winnt.sif to do this; Microsoft forgot it.) Currently, the Linux script, when you choose to make an install from scratch, will let you fix the size of the C: drive (to install the system on it), and affect everything remaining on a D drive (so you can reajust with no need for software like Partition Magic).
  • S-ATA is supported with no effort. Never add drivers in your i386 again. The LinPE does the job the first part of Microsoft's setup used to do... so forget about F6.

Now... We're presently 3 people working on the idea and a lot has been done. But a lot more can be done to improve and maintain. I mean that if someone out there would like to join the team, it'd just be great!

Regards

Natan

natan

unfortunately for me, I've just redone my system using the Nlited XP disc I created. Have you tried out SysAngel using an Nlited i386 folder to see if it works? I didn't take out too much stuff, mainly non needed drivers & WMP 9 (although I should have left it in as I have had afew video playback probs using MPC. :blushing:

I wish I had another puter to use as a "tester box" so I could experiment more. ;)

Hoping to hear some success stories here! :yes:

Hi people!

I've just updated the release of the DVD Generator so that it supports nLited i386 folders.

Everything available here: http://dvdgen.windowsdream.com/dvdgen/download.html

Please note that executing a .EXE install file will automatically uninstall the previous version of the Generator prior to installing the new one.

Regards

Natan

I tried the first version and successfully generated the iso (but not yet installed XP using it - need to make a new VM guest).

If you can, I'd like the main DVD Generator window to be made resizeable. it fills most of the desktop.

Also, on my 1280x1024 screen with 144 dpi, the fonts on the main window do not display correctly, with the top part of the progress text window partly obscured by one of the yellow bars near the top L corner.

The X button doesn't respond but the [quit it] does.

Edited by Takeshi

Ok a little feedback

Make sure your XPCD Is complete and ready before you start this, dial-up forget it, well well well over 1GB. .. don't remember done deleted as personally I didn't care for it

Nothing once you start it, no interaction or adding your stuff at all, me I don't do french or any of the other languages it downloads stuff for.

Make it a heck a lot better if it only download my language and not all the rest. maybe a smaller d/l also huh

Personally I'd like a little interaction with it, in other words telling it what I want to do.

I didn't Install it cause I don't know what its going to do, I have drives I wanna keep stuff on and don't want it going off deleting them.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Ok a little feedback

Thanks for it...

Make sure your XPCD Is complete and ready before you start this

Yep, this was conflicting with a nLited i386. That's why I've just added a checkbox to prevent any check for i386 consistency. You don't need any more to have a complete XPCD.

dial-up forget it, well well well over 1GB. .. don't remember done deleted as personally I didn't care for it

One of the initial goals of the project was: let's not make another nLite. Here, we want a Windows distribution ready to install anywhere (except a MSFN geek's computer, that was obvious...!) Say you want to get a unique DVD in your briefcase, and save a neighbour without spending the night. On another hand... (below)

Nothing once you start it, no interaction or adding your stuff at all, me I don't do french or any of the other languages it downloads stuff for.

Make it a heck a lot better if it only download my language and not all the rest. maybe a smaller d/l also huh

Personally I'd like a little interaction with it, in other words telling it what I want to do.

I didn't do it first, but I'm on my way to add this. In the next release, you'll be able to modify everything, and download only needed stuff. So, you should enjoy the benefits of the Linux pre-install scripts, and all the possibilities it gives, without having to use other features if you don't need them, or say, if you've built better ones.

I didn't Install it cause I don't know what its going to do, I have drives I wanna keep stuff on and don't want it going off deleting them.

This is a main feature of the Linux PE: it definitely can install on a C: drive without formating anything. Well, don't use it on your own system if you want to keep your existing Windows... :) but it should not kill your other partitions.

Will be back soon with improvements... your comments do help.

Natan

Hi people !

as many people have downloaded the tool and burnt ISOs, I'd like to have a little feedback...

did this work for you ? have you experienced trouble or not-100%-working things ? etc.

Thanks!

Natan

When i try to install my burnt iso i get a "Not a valid windows source could be found in your local CD ROM drive please insert one" message.

I've folled the "useing the dvd generator" document to the letter but still i get the error.

What am i doing wrong ?

Edited by ironside

(except a MSFN geek's computer, that was obvious...!)

yep sorry that was my (MFSN GEEK) wanting to MOD anything and everything about it.

Me I don't care about the C: if thats all its gonna do in cause I'll restore very quickly with my well prepared

UAXP created by my own program.

Just giving ya some thoughts.

I don't do French so the DBdesigner in fench does me no good.