HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

@ Oleg_II

qdvd.dll did the trick :D

What is Advanced INF Install?
That was just the title of the frame that reported the Error registering OCX trouble.

4_ Start - Settings - Printers "This file does not have a program associated with it ..."

This is not a problem with your reducers. I just never noticed before but the FDV files do this. MY fault - if I had noticed this earlier I could have told Fred.

The drivers are still a problem but all in due time.

I decompressed mru_kill.in_ and renamed it back to .in_ and this fixed problem #5 for me.

As for paint, I found PhotoFiltre as a possible alternative.

Everything else seems to be purring along nicely. B)

4_ Start - Settings - Printers "This file does not have a program associated with it ..."

same with Control Panel

same with Network and dial up connections (except that the shortcut under communications works)

I don't have that problem.

5_ mru eraser - reports installation failed

Yep. I have this problem, too!!

When the desktop appears the following message pops up:

Error

Installation failed

Then I was thinking "The Windows installation process failed. Yeah right!!" I saw the desktop, thus I knew that it probably was fine.

Yep. I have this problem, too!!

When the desktop appears the following message pops up:

Error

Installation failed

Uncompress mru_kill.in_. You'll get it as an .inf file so rename it back to mru_kill.in_ and use this in the FDVFILES folder. That worked for me.

Let me know if this creates the next problem about Start - Settings - Printers "This file does not have a program associated with it ..."

Thanks

I redid it all from sp4 (so much playing along the way) and problem 4 is no longer.

Probably shouldn't have done so much surfing while HFSLIP was slippin' too <cough>. :blushing:

Thanks TommyP, FDV and Oleg_II.

BTW Oleg_II, I like my Windows Explorer in Details view and (don't know why but) like Control Panel with large icons.

This seems to write in

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU"

If others are the same it could be a considered mod for mru_kill.inf

Also file association gets lost with:

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts"

Really handy when I want to read text files by double clicking like .sif, read.me, etc.

A new .something is always popping up.

Edited by Squeeto

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to test this out but the readme from mini002.zip says that it is based on HFSLIP_051109. Quite a bit has changed since then so I am wondering about FDVFILES. FDV's have been updated; should I still overwrite with Oleg_II's?

tommyp

Can U add clean out for LAYOUT.INF too? ;)

"Do you want to overwrite and clean out FDV's INF files with HFCLEANUP files?" If Y, then FDV's INF will be cleaned or FDV's INF will be overwrited with original cleaned WIN's INF ?

I could cleanout layout.inf, but it's needed for *some* things. If you run the reducers, the larger layout.inf file won't affect anything. Are you having probs with it? All is fine for me.

If you select Y when running FDV's fileset, it filters out FDV's inf files. If you select N, then FDV's files will overwrite whatever is in the sourcess just as before. Personally I would select Y to filter them out.

I just ran this for the first time. It reduced my ISO by a good 200MB; thanks!

There were a couple of 'file not found' errors but I seem to have pulled through it OK (and with DX9!)

I've gone through this regimen twice now and keep coming up with the same bucket of dung. On my first pass of HFSLIP with Oleg2's HFCLEANUP files, setup asks for the following missing files:

agt0407.dll on (Unknown)

agt0407.dll on (Unknown)

pcntn5m.sys on (Unknown)

ati.sys on (Unknown)

speech.hlp on (Unknown)

Error registering the OCX c:\WINNT\systems32\qdvd.dll

So I rifle through the HFCLEANUP folder and remove all references to those files (one is in there twice). Then I run HFSLIP again with no other changes. On the second run I get:
NT5.CAT on Windows 2000 Professional CD is needed
followed quite promptly by:
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. press OK to view the Setup log files.
and:
The D:\i386\NT5.CAT catalog file could not be found. The error code is 1.

Any suggestions? I saw someone reference fixing layout.inf for a CAT issue but I would like to avoid so much cross-editing to fix problems if possible. It makes things yucky and hard to maintain when I upgrade filesets and such.