HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

• 3 weeks later...

The current reducer set is not complete. Reducing SystemMonitor, PerformanceLogsAndAlerts and WMI all three still left about 11 meters working.

I am happy with that.

NOT reducing SystemMonitor gives you at least five more meters and I find them to be helpful ones.

I am very happy with that.

My current test setup does NOT reduce these:

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Applications_Briefcase.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Applications_Briefcase.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Driver_LAN.rdv

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_ActiveDirectory.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_MapNetworkDrivesNetworkPlacesWizard.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_MapNetworkDrivesNetworkPlacesWizard.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\OSOptions_NTBackup.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\OSOptions_NTBackup.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SecondaryLogin.inf

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SecondaryLogin.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SNMP.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SystemMonitor.inf

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SystemMonitor.rem

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_SystemMonitor.rin

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_UPS.inf

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Service_UPS.rem

And it is working great for me so far. AD seems to be working great, I have the meters I want and Outlook 2003 will install and run in plain text and rich text modes.

I find it interesting the using all of the IE-related reducers has little effect on Outlook. You just can't use HTML rendering. Using FDV, on the other hand, gives Outlook all kinds of weird problems from not starting up to not being able to access the network.

The only ones that I actually HAVE to NOT reduce for the above requirements are these:

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Driver_LAN.rdv - For VMWare to use network

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_ActiveDirectory.rem - For AD

The rest I do not reduce just because I don't want to do so.

My current ISO is around 100MB but I am not using patches yet and I am not using high file compression.

I spoke too soon.  Apparently I have reduced Outlook 2003's ability to access pop3.  It never accesses the remote pop3 server when trying to check mail.  I can get mail from the Exchange server but it is a bit slow.  Got some detective work to do...

@TP: I think csapi3t1.dl should not be reduced in Network_MSNExplorer.rem. It is OK if I also reduce OE, but I get GUI setup errors about csapi3t1.dll if I only reduce Network_MSNExplorer.rem. Everything is fine when I comment out that entry from Network_MSNExplorer.rem.

csapi3t1.dl is currently in both of those reducers.

@TP: I think csapi3t1.dl should not be reduced in Network_MSNExplorer.rem. It is OK if I also reduce OE, but I get GUI setup errors about csapi3t1.dll if I only reduce Network_MSNExplorer.rem. Everything is fine when I comment out that entry from Network_MSNExplorer.rem.

csapi3t1.dl is currently in both of those reducers.

I agree with Tain.

csapi3t1.dll is used in spellchecking by M$ Office and Outlook Express.

If you don't use MSN Explorer, M$ Office or OE, you don't need csapi3t1.dll. Might not be a bad idea to add a spellchecker reducer titled "MSN_Office_OEZZZZ" or something like that.

And it is working great for me so far. AD seems to be working great, I have the meters I want and Outlook 2003 will install and run in plain text and rich text modes.

I find it interesting the using all of the IE-related reducers has little effect on Outlook. You just can't use HTML rendering. Using FDV, on the other hand, gives Outlook all kinds of weird problems from not starting up to not being able to access the network.

The only ones that I actually HAVE to NOT reduce for the above requirements are these:

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Driver_LAN.rdv - For VMWare to use network

C:\HFSLIP\HFCLEANUP-diff\Network_ActiveDirectory.rem - For AD

The rest I do not reduce just because I don't want to do so.

My current ISO is around 100MB but I am not using patches yet and I am not using high file compression.

I spoke too soon.  Apparently I have reduced Outlook 2003's ability to access pop3.  It never accesses the remote pop3 server when trying to check mail.  I can get mail from the Exchange server but it is a bit slow.  Got some detective work to do...

If you want Outlook to have pop3 access then you must NOT use the OE reducer.  I was able to find three different DLLs which, when removed, caused similar behavior on an otherwise working machine.  But copying those files over to the affected machine didn't fix the problem nor did installing IE6.  So I'll just rebuild without using the OE reducer.  I was actually surprised to get so much functionality out of Outlook without having OE installed as there are supposedly a great many dependencies.

If anyone is curious, those three files were:

INETCOMM.DL

INETRES.DL

MSOERT2.DL (this one caused slightly different behavior, but was close enough to be a candidate)

With the current fileset, I have found that the WMI reducer is fine to use whereas the SystemMonitor reducers actually provide the counters. I can't tell yet whether or not using the WMI reducers will have a real impact on capability outside of a VM.
Testing in a VM just doesn't cut it for perfmon. Turns out that I need to NOT reduce ZZ_Service_WMI_WBEM and Service_PerformanceLogsAndAlerts in order to get the counters that I want. Not reducing these dramatically increases the available counters...and they all work. Note that you don't have to actually run the service. Just having it installed provides the avenue for the meters to be accessed.

But to reiterate: it is safe to reduce all of this stuff if you don't care about performance monitoring.