HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

The general way of the RIN file is identify what setup infs need to be cleaned out. In the case you pointed out a few messages up, those registry entries get added in HIVESYS.INF. So, to clean it out, first you must tell hfslip what INF needs to be cleaned out. Next you have to tell what line to remove from the INF. This is done by a RIN file. The filename is specified by the filename with LESS the last character of the extension. So the filename for RIN format is HIVESYS.IN. Next, looking through the hivesys.inf you can see the entries you want. You need to specify a unique string of characters (no spaces or weird characters). In other words, think of it this way.

Name_Of_File.IN;String_To_Filter_Out

I'll try to clean up the info file. It's not that hard. It's just hard to explain logic and nested loops. I'm glad I don't program for a living. :)

OK I think I follow how it's done now. I guess tricky part is knowing which .INF file the entries you want deleted are located.

I created the requested .RIN file and am going to test iit with the latest HFCLEANUP. If it works, I'll post it here.

Edited by saugatak

It works, I tested it with 2k and xp. To search thru the setup infs, this may help you out. Manually create a folder called INFS alongside your source folder. Open a CMD window and type this:

FOR /F %I IN ('DIR/B/A-D/ON source\I386\*.in_') DO EXPAND -r SOURCE\I386\%I infs & ECHO %I EXTRACTED

(that needs to be one line)

Once that's done, manually copy all the *.INF over to INFs. If you need to search INFs, right mouse the INFS folder and search. Piece-o-cake.

Edited by tommyp

@tommyp

Well, gave it a shot. Below is code in my OSOptions_OS2Posix.rin file.

I clearly screwed something up because my HIVESYS.INF file in SOURCESS has no entries :blink::no:

Looks like you already worked out the right .rin file but I'm wondering if you could give me pointers so that next time I catch something I can make the file myself instead of passing the buck to you.

HIVESYS.IN;HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","Os2LibPath",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%\system32\os2\dll"
HIVESYS.IN;HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems","Optional",0x00010002,"Os2","Posix"
HIVESYS.IN;HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems","Os2",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%\system32\os2ss.exe"
HIVESYS.IN;HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems","Posix",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%\system32\psxss.exe"

Edited by saugatak

Tried an IE6 HFSLIP Win2k build with M$ Windows Updates. All update cabs are included except for legitcheckcontrol.cab. For some reason, I get an error message and the Windows Update site won't let me install any updates.

Attached is my HFSLIP log and list of my HFCLEANUP files.

Any suggestions?

HFCLEANUP_files.txt

HFSLIP.LOG.txt

Edited by saugatak

It's not there because you're removing it with hfcleanup. Remove osoptions_wga.* and you'll be ok. You may need to keep the BITS too. Why bother removing stuff to visit windowsupdate? Use the hfnetchk tool instead. Saug - You may want to try out nlite to see what each reducer does. The reduction set is loosely based on that. With nlite, you can see dependencies for various things.

Whew, spent a bunch of time at the nLite forum and playing around with nLite. Came across a bunch of old posts by you and Clint where you two are like mad scientists figuring out exactly which comopenents and .dlls to remove to get the slimmest Win2k.

Unfortunately, doesn't look like a lot of your suggestions got incorporated by Nuhi.

This computer is for parents who live far away. I don't want to update their machine. I want to set up automatic updates and forget it.

I thought the WGA files were Windows Genuine Advantage only, which I figured were not needed.

Edited by saugatak

saugatak - Thanks for noticing that in the forums. I waited well over a year for a change request to get processed and got practically nothing. This is why the HFCLEANUP efforts started.

I have used the reducer on windows 2000 with very good results. If I used the reducer on windows xp what would the iso size be and what would the install size be? I know I can go a head and do it (I will) just wondering what the end result would be.

results may not be as near-perfect with 2K ... tommyp has advised to

throw sfc_os.dl_ & syssetup.dl_ into fix and you'll be ok.
&
To play it safe, only do the hfcleanup.zip but exclude the 4Z and 5Z files. There is a little issue with keeping the old media player with xp.
... i have not been quite lucky with it ;) TP, took the liberty of quoting you sir! :) Edited by Kiki Burgh

saugatak - Thanks for noticing that in the forums. I waited well over a year for a change request to get processed and got practically nothing. This is why the HFCLEANUP efforts started.

Nah thanks for putting HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP together. Your stuff rocks. I have a great, clean install now. System works fast, no hiccups.

nLite I'd always have odd bits and pieces left over or there'd be some portions I want to remove but can't.

HFCLEANUP is harder but once you get hang of it and tweak it the way you want, it does better job IMO. Plus it works a lot faster than nLite.

• 1 month later...