HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

@FDV, thanks.

Makes sense, since everyone is using different filesets, registry edits would be a major PITA. I guess it'd be a good idea to create a registry tweaker that HFSLIP could install along with HFCLEANUP.

I made a tweak.reg file and put it into HFSVCPACK but for some reason it did not work. Also, don't know how to make a tweak.reg file that takes out registry entries.

Links to any sites or threads on how to go about making a good tweak.reg appreciated.

I think I'll make a reg file for Win2k users with comments and then users can add or delete to it. Shouldn't be too bad because I can base it off FDV's tweaks.

I made a tweak.reg file and put it into HFSVCPACK but for some reason it did not work. Also, don't know how to make a tweak.reg file that takes out registry entries.

Afaik you can use

[-HKLM\foo\bar\n\a\w\a\k\w\a\z\a\a]
Links to any sites or threads on how to go about making a good tweak.reg appreciated.

Check this page : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66127 ;)

Different people like different reg tweaks. This is why there is a separate folder to place your reg files. For example, I like the two paned and detailed view with explorer. Others like the stupid big icons. HFCLEANUP's intent isn't to tweak your system, it's meant to cleanup your system. ;). With the hfcleanup fileset that is posted, registry cleanups are part of the process. By registry cleanups, I mean that portions of the registry and setup INFs are deleted because they don't apply to a install with HFCLEANUP. Care was taken, but it's impossible for me to check everything out. There's too many variables to test.

the reducers do not clean the registry. In XP and 2k3, that doesn't really matter much (I won't get into why) but in Win2k, it significantly speeds things up becasue of the way win2k loads the registry entirely into memory. In 2k3, the reducers combined with a file I wrote cleans the registry quite a bit, but since 2k3 doesn't load the whole thing anyway, it's not so crucial for performance.

That explains why your fileset improves bootimes so much in 2k.

You mean a reg tweak for ms-explorer two pane? I think the reg settings are here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\ContainingTextMRU]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{EFA24E64-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults]

You'll need to do your settings, reboot, export the reg settings save them in HFSVCPACK. I can't share the settings because these settings are different depending on what OS *and* what IE core you are running.

Sorry about non-HFCLEANUP info.... let's resume the main thread.

Saugatek - FYI, the HFCLEANUP reducers *do* filter INFS and HIVES.

Saugatek - FYI, the HFCLEANUP reducers *do* filter INFS and HIVES.

I was checking registry on lots of removed services and don't see any entries.

Did see that HFCLEANUP removed OS/2 and Posix but left those entries in the registry. Right now I'm doing a .reg file to get those entries removed, but here it is if you want to incorporate.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Remove OS/2 & POSIX
;
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OS/2 Subsystem for NT]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"Os2LibPath"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems]
"Optional"=-
"Os2"=-
"Posix"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet002\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"Os2LibPath"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet002\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems]
"Optional"=-
"Os2"=-
"Posix"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"Os2LibPath"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems]
"Optional"=-
"Os2"=-
"Posix"=-

Edit: Grabbed latest HFCLEANUP, testing it now :thumbup

Edited by saugatak

Saug - All the RIN files filter various INFs. Without filtering, then setup will crash all the time. True I may not have gotten every single entry, but it's a start. To get rid of those above entries, look thru the setup infs and see where those get created. It's in hivesys.inf. So, to get rid of these from the installation, you create a RIN file. First character set is the filename (less the last letter of the ext), a semicolon and a unique string. The entire line in the unique string will be deleted when hfcleanup is parsed. In other words, create a file called OSOptions_OS2Posix.rin.

HIVESYS.IN;os2ss.exe
HIVESYS.IN;psxss.exe
HIVESYS.IN;Posix

Edited by tommyp

Saug - All the RIN files filter various INFs. Without filtering, then setup will crash all the time. True I may not have gotten every single entry, but it's a start. To get rid of those above entries, look thru the setup infs and see where those get created. It's in hivesys.inf. So, to get rid of these from the installation, you create a RIN file. First character set is the filename (less the last letter of the ext), a semicolon and a unique string. The entire line in the unique string will be deleted when hfcleanup is parsed. In other words, create a file called OSOptions_OS2Posix.rin.

HIVESYS.IN;os2ss.exe
HIVESYS.IN;psxss.exe
HIVESYS.IN;Posix

@tommyp

I get what you're asking me to do but I still don't understand the .RIN files and what goes on with the INFs. I looked over the README and it's basically beyond my level of understanding. :blushing: