HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

It has been a rough few months.

My rebuilt OS is acting up again . . . always have a problem with printer drivers after a while, sigh. O well, time to HFSLIP again. Want to give HFCLEANUP a shot, great to get all in one.

I have trouble with printer drivers as well. Instead of fighting/fixing the issue I just setup another machine (non-HFSLIP) with the drivers and use that one via vnc.

Probably unrelated; just thought I'd throw it out there in case we are all having the same issues w/o realizing it.

Wow, HFCLEANUP is awesome. Congrats on fine work by TommyP and Oleg2.

Couple of questions. FDV includes IE.INF to lay waste to the registry of all the junk that the FDV fileset removes.

Is there something like this included for HFCLEANUP?

Edit: Oops. I'm finding some things in the VM OS which should have been removed by HFCLEANUP. I've attached my errorreport.txt. Put SETUPAPI.DL_, SFC.DL_ and SFCFILES.DL_ from FDV fileset in FIX folder.

Any suggestions?

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

Edited by saugatak

saug - If you are running 2k with FDV's fileset, you will be prompted if you want to filter out FDV's INF files. If you select YES, then the reducers filter them. If you select no, then FDVs INF files will be copied over at the end. If you are slipstreaming IE6 and running hfcleanup, IE.INF (aka IN.IN_) is filtered along with a host of other INF files.

I think the reducers may have filtered a bit too much. I can't copy/paste files that are located on the network. I can modify files on a network, but I cannot cut them out of one folder and place in another. Strange.

I am HFSLIPing IE6 for this build, so FDV folder is empty. The only FDV files I copied into the FIX folder are SETUPAPI.DL_, SFC.DL_ and SFCFILES.DL_.

I did not copy FDV's IE.INF into the FIX folder. However, a lot of the stuff that HFCLEANUP was supposed to remove still shows up in the OS. I removed the 2003 HFCLEANUP files. Are there any HFCLEANUP files that absoluetly must not be removed?

ATTACHED: Files in HFCLEANUP folder

HFCLEANUP_folder.txt

Saug, you'll need to type in A, B or C for the compression type to use HFCLEANUP. I run with all those hfcleanup.zip reducers for my 2k. They work great.

Edited by tommyp

Hello its me again. If someone just wanted to take out just the things not needed for a home enviorment with simple networking, what could be removed? Size is not a factor just want a smooth, responsive OS.

Can things like DCOM, COM+ etc, and some uneeded services not needed for a home setup?

Thanks

I tried to make the current reduction set home-network friendly. Some applications depend on certain built in windows functions, the folks over at Nlite have nice description on what to keep for various applications. For me, I use the current set posted and all my applications run fine. Your mileage may vary.