HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

I mailed FDV the other day with an updated HFCLEANUP that fixes the issues that Squeeto talks about. For some reason it's not posted yet. Don't run the posted cleanups unless you see filedates circa Mar 11 in that zip file.

murvun - Test it out and report back. Just read the instruction readme file and don't remove anything you're not supposed to. And before you ask, this is still an unsupported feature of hfslip. If you run into problems, report back the solution to the issue. There are too many variables for each user and it would drive me crazy to figure out problems for everyone. :) For example, to fix squeeto's concern took about 50 installs to isolate the bad reducer. I only fixed this issue because it affected me as well. For me, all is fine and I don't plan on altering it... and I'll gladly give full control to Oleg2 once he gets back... if we only knew where he is now.

I mailed FDV the other day with an updated HFCLEANUP that fixes the issues that Squeeto talks about. For some reason it's not posted yet. Don't run the posted cleanups unless you see filedates circa Mar 11 in that zip file.
Please post a message here when you update the HFCLEANUP link.

Hey men, I am VERY sorry I did not get to it.

It's all up.

See http://www.vorck.com/hfexpert.html

Cleanup set

IE add-on remover

Dial-up add-on remover

MS Office Jet, ODBC add-on remover

I got busy at work and couldn't do any testing. Yuck, the friggin server went down due to a hard drive failure. And ya know what? The ghost image was unuseable. Corrupted. And to complicate things? The old old video card I threw in the thing (because a doc server sure doesn't need a fancy vidcard) was failing TOO, causing boot anomalies. Yeah, all that sucked. I had to reinstall 2003, not so bad, but also had to reset security permissions on hundreds of items in the shared resources. :realmad:

So anyway, I have been busy at work. Oh yeah, the boss is on vacation too! That means I have to do her job too, which long explanation short involves turning some people's questions over to attorneys who then send back legal advice that I have to make anonymous and then send back to people. Which means I have to read her mail and not just forward it but read for content. Ohh yeah, my car's also in the shop, which means I have to rely on the wife for rides to and from work, which means I have to wake and go to bed on her schedule, preventing any late-night work. Sooooo, there ya have it, FDV's mega excuses, not like it matters, but I hope it's worth a chuckle to someone, heh heh...

And now, for no apparent reason, Alyson Hannigan.

@FDV: Thanks for posting all those files. Can we have HFCLEANUP sub-directories like the ones in your zip? aka:

HFCLEANUP

- HFCLEANUP_DIALUP

- so on....

or do we dump all the raw files into HFCLEANUP only (no subdirs)?

dump them all into one folder, dont use subdirectories.

these zips are just as TommyP provided.

once things settle i am sure he'll repackage them somewhat.

again, apologies for the delay...

Well, crap. I am getting the "need NT5.CAT on Windows 2000 Professional CD is needed." error again. It is a show stopper.

I am getting this error because I am using all of the new HFCLEANUP files that FDV just posted...I didn't get the error with the old HFCLEANUP files.

Tain - It seems that only a few of us use HFCLEANUP. Here's some tips for you. Don't jump the gun and use them all at once. And if you do use them all and it doesn't work out, figure out why they don't work and report which reducer is the offending one. Remember, I'm not really supporting this as it will take up time.

Here's some tips for your problem at hand.... Explore to the HFCLEANUP folder, and set up the dual pane look. Do a right mouse click on the HFCLEANUP folder and search the reduction files for "NT5.CA" no quotes obviously. The ZZZ_CAT.rem file will be found. You now have two options: either delete the offending reduction file or put an underscore before NT5.CA line of the reducer. All of the reduction files can be opened with notepad. Remember to save it with the same extension and not a txt extension.

For me I do not get any errors. Perhaps it is because I am using a modded setupapi.dl_, sfc.dl_ and sfcfiles.dl_. All of these are from FDVs fileset. I run with IE6 (no FDVFILES). The HFCLEANUP.ZIP reduction set provided really slims down IE6 to the bare bones and ***really*** speeds things up. My OS footprint is about 280 meg and all my software installs fine. Honestly, it outperforms my best nlite'd 2k by a longshot. Also, I do NOT use the "extra" HFCLEANUP zip files posted on FDVs site. They were only compiled for those who want them. In other words, they are remnants of Oleg2's reducers, slightly modded by me.

Last note, remember, the more Z's the more aggressive it will remove files. This file has 3 Z's which makes it reduce some oddball files.

Hope this helps.

@tommyp: Thanks for the excellent feedback. I wasn't really asking a question so much as posting an FYI. I was home on lunch and the installer (which I had started earlier) had hit that question so I just made a quick post about it.

I fully intend to investigate it as you suggested.

My intent was to let people know that someone has had an issue with that particular config (all reducers) so if someone else had the same issue, or no problem at all, we could collaborate. By all means, you can just say "unsupported...good luck to you" and be done with it. Or say nothing at all :)

Anyway...I have some debuggin' to do! :thumbup

No prob dude. The right-mouse click and search on the HFCLEANUP is your friend.

Do you have the 3 modded dlls that I have in my fix folder? Perhaps those 3 are needed for hfcleanup to work properly? If they are, I'll mod the instructions.

What are the modded files you're talking about.

BTW, I'm playing around with HFCLEANUP right now, really great job again guys.

Lots of options to pare down the OS the way you want it . . . which is both good and bad I guess.

What are the modded files you're talking about.

tommyp:

For me I do not get any errors. Perhaps it is because I am using a modded setupapi.dl_, sfc.dl_ and sfcfiles.dl_. All of these are from FDVs fileset.

Welcome back, saugatak! I don't think we've seen you for a while... :hello: