HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

I've been working on integrating Oleg2's file reducers with my own. I'll have to send it over to FDV for hosting. Oleg's file reducers reduced a bit too much, rendering some codec slipstreaming NG. The new fileset fixes this issue. If you search FDVs site, you'll find the reducers. It's sort of nestled, but that is by design. You can render applications bad if you reduce too much.

I had some problems with removed *.cat files, but after manualy editing LAYOUT.INF - everything fine now.

Can you explain what you did in more detail? I think that we are in the same canoe.

OIC, I should have searched for reduc instead of reduce! Duh!

Thanks, guys :)

@tommyp: Is the latest version already posted? This sentence caused me confusion:

I'll have to send it over to FDV for hosting.

And the posted zip has files as recent as 25FEB.

The file was sent to FDV. Please give him time to put it on his site. It should have a creation date of Mar6. Remember, these reducers are unsupported. You have to figure out what you like and want.

unsupported = TAiN should stop bugging us with all of his personal config issues? :)

I address most of my problems on my own; but I don't hesitate to refer to the experts when needed.

Thanks for all of the great help. That is one of the main reasons I like HFSLIP and try to pimp it out to others (re: my slashdot plug).

By unsupported I mean that if there are problems, then you have to isolate which doesn't work. Reporting back issues and how you solved them are welcomed. Maintaining such a fileset is a monumental effort, and it's one that I cannot devote lots of time to. However, the fileset works fine for me and my applications. Now, if you are running other software, you *could* run into probs.

A few months back, Oleg2 wanted to lead this effort. Having not heard from him in a while, I figured it was time for me to cleanup the reducers and fix various things. So yesterday it was time to unleash some new & improved reducers.

I'll be more than happy to incporporate any user submitted changes and whatnot until Oleg2 comes back.

That's cool. I am still waiting on the new fileset but I will put extra effort into tracking/squashing any issues that I have before I come crying for help :)

TAiN

I'm cleaned LAYOUT.INF - removed *.cat entries. SYSSETUP.IN_ & TXTSETUP.SIF are cleaned by HFCLEANUP, so LAYOUT.INF U must clean manualy ;)

tommyp

Maybe U will make LAYOUT.INF cleaning by Y/N for future HFCLEANUP? :rolleyes:

I don't really understand how this problem manifests itself. Why is it that my first run of HFCLEANUP has errors but otherwise installs OK, but when I address those errors directly (with no other changes) I get this NT5.CAT error that stops the show? Editing layout.inf for *.cat is easy enough, but I would like to understand why this is happening.

In regards to the latest file reducer of TommyP's (FDV's site):

I will put extra effort into tracking/squashing any issues that I have before I come crying for help

Me too, but I do think that there is one issue possibly not hardware/driver related.

Ok, I have a few issues with my video card and network but does anyone else have an issue with rasphone - cannot load the remote access connection manager service?

Or is this an issue with the modem?

I don't use rasphone but thought it would be nice if I ever needed to.