HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

Oleg_II

tommyp edit----

Please use the fileset located here and not the ones posted by Oleg2. I have decided to do a little work on the reducers while Oleg2 is away (or whereever he is). As usual, please read the instructions and know what you are ripping out. If you rip out too much, your system won't work. Please take care if using with xp and/or 2003. They are a bit buggy for those OS's. It works fine as-is with 2k.

------- end edit

This feature of HFSLIP is UNSUPPORTED so please don't ask TommyP for troubleshouting your problems with reduced installation source.

The main purpose of this project is to get a 'clean' and fast OS with maximum functionality and minimum bloat. Every user may customize a reducers set (delete or leave components and files) for his/her personal needs.

Instructions for creating reducer files from TommyP are here Please be sure to read them first before you proceed with reducing your Windows source.

!!!! You need a modified SETUPAPI.DL_ file in your FIX folder for the cleanup to work properly. !!!!

Suggestions:

1. Try to specify in which INF file you get the names of files you are removing so that others can verify it. If you don't know in which INF they are just make a section _UNKNOWN.XX and list file names under it.

2. If you want some file not to be deleted with a reducer you can delete its name from it or, better, place a '_' before it (for example: _chimes.wa)

3. You can post your issues, findings and opinions in this thread but I still think it's better to have one separate post for discussing removing one separate component and have this thread for requests and suggestions.

Important note: Some features of your OS or some of your programs could not be accessible after running HFSLIP with these reducers. Try troubleshouting installation and post your issues and findings for community.

Troubleshouting: If something is going wrong with your installation after using a new reducer file try to move it from HFCLEANUP folder and run HFSLIP without using it. If you start using a set of reducer files and have an issue, it's a good idea to test your installation adding reducers one at a time.

All files will be downloaded in sets and there will be links for them here later.

For Windows 2000 users: you can try my beta set below but note that there could be some issues in it.

For Windows XP and Windows 2003 users: we are working for the reducers of your OS. If you can submit your findings it will be apreciated.

Request: if you know how to make working modified SETUPAPI.DLL for XP and W2k3 that let deleting files please let me know.

Found files for XP SP2 on JDOE site I also recommend his CAB Tools for SendTo folder (batch version).

Version 0.02 for mini-Windows 2000 Professional reducers can be downloaded here Read the instructions included in ZIP file before you start!

Can't resist ;) If you want go nusty with W2k, combine my beta set with tested reducers from FDV's site B) Just to see how small it could be (and some more files will be removed in future).

Current issues::

1. When adding some new devices drivers for which should be already on the system (like USB flash disk or input devices) sometimes asks for the path to the installation disk again.

2. Very strange but with copying IMG files from one partion to the other - floppy disk image copies but without its contents :wacko:

3. No sound when playing Audio CD with some programs like standard CDPlayer.exe from Windows.

Edited by tommyp

HFSLIP will only be processed if both of these conditions are true

1. if you select A, B or C for the driver compression (this is the merged cab option)

2. your HFCLEANUP folder must be manually created and filled with the reducer files.

Hey,

Excellent Work Oleg II. The instructions are great! :thumbup

Hope to see more junk removed from the w2k in the future, I will continue to test your removal sets from now to forever. :)

Cheers,

-k.

Edited by kalo

@TAiN,

Just download the zip and you can see what files are removed, it's your choice what you put in your HFCLEANUP folder.

A detailed discription of each removed file would be pointless and time consuming, I think. This fileset doesn't remove any features whatsoever. Well no features that can't be replaced with smaller and better applications anyway.

-k

It's pretty straightforward to what is being reduced. If you want java removed, then put the java files in HFCLEANUP. If you want MSAGENT removed, then put the MSAGENT files in HFCLEANUP. If you want it removed, the put the file in HFCLEANUP. If you don't want it removed, then don't put into HFCLEANUP. The removal process is very similar to NLITE, but is more configurable.

Thanks tommyp

Sorry about being a pain in the past. All I had to do is read and follow directions carefully.

Now I am having fun with this and it is so easy.

I got the reducer, I wonder if they can be combined with features from each depending on my use.

Again sorry about being a pain in the past

dirt

Dirt, who said you were a pain? Oleg2's set is pretty good, but it's a bit much for my tastes. I only use a subset of what he offers. So you can configure it however you like. The more patience you have, the more rewards you'll get with a fast system. And if your clever, you can help Oleg2 out with more reduction.

Updated mini-Windows 2000 Professional set:

- added Jet Database reducer - thanks TommyP :thumbup

- corrected a small bug with Gosh reducer.

Testing new SETUPAPI.DLL for Windows 2003 Server - thanks *** :thumbup It works for not installing OE and Wab right now. Trying to remove files for them too :yes:

Request: could somebody list all components of Windows 2003 Server that may be used in WINNT.SIF for it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Oleg, good work :thumbup

A few issues though:

1_ error with Advanced INF Install - Error registering OCX C:\WINNT\system32\qdvd.dll

2_ Video Controller S3 Trio32/64 installation error (didn't even know I had one of these :o )

3_ Hardware found called MEDIA and no drivers available

4_ Start - Settings - Printers "This file does not have a program associated with it ..."

same with Control Panel

same with Network and dial up connections (except that the shortcut under communications works)

5_ mru eraser - reports installation failed

6_ you have removed Paint, can you suggest a good small replacement?

7_ iexplorer exe and lnk removed - could this possibly be still needed by some 3rd party apps?

8_ what are your FIX files doing? Are they required?

Sorry for all the numbered questions; I just don't want to miss an answer :)

Thanks, S.

Squeeto

This is a beta and it's my installation so it has some features that I need and you can use it as an example (remove or add components and files) ;) I'll try to answer all your questions one by one but some of them are linked:

1_ error with Advanced INF Install - Error registering OCX C:\WINNT\system32\qdvd.dll
QDVD.DLL is removed with DVD.REM. You can comment or delete this file or entire reducer from HFCLEANUP folder. If I'm not mistaken this file deals with DVD playback.

What is Advanced INF Install?

2_ Video Controller S3 Trio32/64 installation error (didn't even know I had one of these ohmy.gif )

Well, probably a file or a few should to be removed from z_DRIVER_v1.RDV reducer. You can find out which files are needed for this controller in your usuall installation and then check if they are in this reducer. If some of them are - delete them from reducer and let me know.

It's a driver releted thing and it depends on user's hardware. You may unCAB DRIVER.CAB from original source and try to update driver for this hardware specifying the folder with unpacked files.

3_ Hardware found called MEDIA and no drivers available
I had similar problem with my TV-Tuner. It also maybe connected with a missing driver (see the previous answer).
4_ Start - Settings - Printers "This file does not have a program associated with it ..."

same with Control Panel

same with Network and dial up connections (except that the shortcut under communications works)

Strange - it works fine here for printers and connections :wacko:

5_ mru eraser - reports installation failed
It also works fine. Try to find MRU_KILL.INF in SYSTEM32 and run it manually (right click and install). Does it work this way?
6_ you have removed Paint, can you suggest a good small replacement?

I thought most of us use some graphics application so don't really need Paint. But it can be easily added back if needed (remove Paint.REM and Paint.RIN reducers). I use XNView as a graphics browser and for simple operation (free) and XaraX (not free but great little app that runs very fast and can do a lot of things). I'm also thinking about Photo Line 32 (small, fast and not bloated Photoshop-like program).

7_ iexplorer exe and lnk removed - could this possibly be still needed by some 3rd party apps?
Maybe usefull for some software (read FDV's notes not about it). But I don't use such appz so I deleted it.
8_ what are your FIX files doing? Are they required?

Nope. You can fill it yourself ;) I just wanted everything works for all testers and placed the files I think may gave problems with my set. INTL.INF is in unicode coding so it can't be edeted without losing some functionality (not critical if using western languages only).

TommyP made a set for IE users that reduce nearly all the same files but leaves IE engine for those who need its HTML rendering :thumbup

@Oleg_II - 2003 winnt.sif components list... it would be the same pretty much as XP's. but keep in mind if any of that stuff actually worked, we wouldn't need tools like my fileset or nlite :D

i dont trust that file for component removal so am proceeding with the INF route.

btw folks who are reading this and wondering what i'm talking about, TommyP, Oleg_II and I are slowly making progress on de-crapifying 2003 server.

one of the things we have to decide is what role we want it to play. in other words, do we rip out server components to make it more like a workstation OS? do we rip out junk like IIS so it can still be a 'server' but a document server, not a web server? i am figuring i will work toward making it a desktop OS for now. i anticipate putting a new page on my site in a few days on 'workstation-ifying' 2003*, which will include how exactly to hack (with pictures) SETUPAPI.DLL so that we can have more people joining in to hack around with the OS.

*yes, we are aware of the 'turn 2003 server into workstation' thread elsewhere on msfn. it's just really not as thorough as we would like.

more later.