Windows XP Updates Downloader

We get a lot of clients who come onboard with their laptops (and employee's) that may not be totally up to date. A usefull function for me would be if this tool could check which hotfixes have not been installed on the computer, then install them on request ... that would be so cool! This way I could carry around one CD containing the hotfixes and this tool, to make all my systems up to date.

Now we're talking. This would be insanely cool. I love that idea.

Just use this script (see attachment)

install.zip

Very useful program thanks a lot! I was actually thinking of making something like this too... but I didn't have the time.

Maybe add an indicator that says "Downloading Update 3 of 34" or something like that. Like what you see on MS Update.

:thumbup:thumbup

To be honest, the slipstreaming of hotfixes is pretty well covered by RyanVM's packs, and I dont see the need to add another tool into the mix.

Sorry I have to disagree dude. Not everyone uses XP, not everyone wants to wait a few days/weeks for a new RyanVM pack release after patch day, and some don't use English. HFSLIP does it all: 2K, XP, 2003 (all languages too). Nlite can't do "all" of 2k. I'd like to script this into HFSLIP, but I don't have the mental capacity to do it.... or the time.

To be honest, the slipstreaming of hotfixes is pretty well covered by RyanVM's packs, and I dont see the need to add another tool into the mix.

Sorry I have to disagree dude. Not everyone uses XP, not everyone wants to wait a few days/weeks for a new RyanVM pack release after patch day, and some don't use English. HFSLIP does it all: 2K, XP, 2003 (all languages too). Nlite can't do "all" of 2k. I'd like to script this into HFSLIP, but I don't have the mental capacity to do it.... or the time.

Not really sure what your point is here - this topic is about a hotfix downloader for XP. My point was that we dont really need another tool to integrate these. Sorry for using Ryan's packs as an example instead of your tool ;)

I also stated that I would like to see this tool be able to install the missing hotfixes for you. None of the tools you mention, including yours, have that functionality.

Besides, 'waiting a few days or weeks' is a trivial excuse - use the windows update! Not everyone reinstalls windows every time microsoft releases a patch (sorta defeats the purpose of hotfixes hmm?). And before anyone says it, if you are in a corporate enviroment and are not using some form of server-based update then have a word with your IT dept....

SP

Not really sure what your point is here - this topic is about a hotfix downloader for XP. My point was that we dont really need another tool to integrate these.... And before anyone says it, if you are in a corporate enviroment and are not using some form of server-based update then have a word with your IT dept....

On the contrary, I would love to have a CD-ROM with all of the hofixes on it and an accompanying utility that would install all of the ones not already installed. I sometimes get called to an office where things are obviously FUBAR, and to run 20 workstations through a Windows Update routine would just take too long. Sure it would line my pockets pretty nice with the hourly rate I charge, but I don't operate like that. I like to get in and get out with the customer up, running, and smiling as quickly as possible.

The other point. There TONS of smaller outfits where running WSUS is simply not an option. I simply cringe everytime I enter one of these offices, but there are indeed still a lot of small offices running on an NT4 domain. Or a small outfit that has one single server that does everything (usually SBS) and adding one more thing to the server would not be a great idea.

@RogueSpear:

We are actually talking about the same thing here i think! I was pointing out that there is no need for an integrator (please note that word - this means like slipstreaming sorta thing, source integration) and said I would love the 'hotfix on a CD downloader and installer sorta thing'

[The other point. There TONS of smaller outfits where running WSUS is simply not an option. I simply cringe everytime I enter one of these offices, but there are indeed still a lot of small offices running on an NT4 domain. Or a small outfit that has one single server that does everything (usually SBS) and adding one more thing to the server would not be a great idea.
Agreed 100% and was sorta the reasoning behind my original post you replied to ;)

SP

:thumbup hey jcarle , first of all congrats on such a brilliant idea and a nice simple app.

i have not downloaded anything yet because it has got only 34 update. i would just like to suggest something before you start upgrading the features. the Hotfixes present in thie thread are far more than what you have got in this application. so how about adding all those links as well before the features are added? this way atleast we shall be able to download everything right now :blushing: