Windows XP Updates Downloader

jcarle, nice.

If you ever develop command line or .net integration options, as a DLL or something, let me know and we'll work something out.

But I too don't see anything bad to run this separately.

One bug which isn't so important: when I blocked it with a firewall 2 times it just exited the program, try that in debug mode and see what happens.

Maybe it would be good to first ping the Microsoft.com and note that I'm offline or Firewall is blocking.

jcarle, nice.

If you ever develop command line or .net integration options, as a DLL or something, let me know and we'll work something out.

But I too don't see anything bad to run this separately.

One bug which isn't so important: when I blocked it with a firewall 2 times it just exited the program, try that in debug mode and see what happens.

Maybe it would be good to first ping the Microsoft.com and note that I'm offline or Firewall is blocking.

@nuhi: Bug noted. I'll be checking that. I'm glad to see that you're interested in a plug-in type option. I love nLite and I admire the quantity and quality of the work that you've put in it. Do you code in C#?

@others: Multi-lingual interfaces and downloads will be available in the future. At the moment, it will remain exclusively for the english version of XP until the utility has become stable enough to include multiple language options. It's hard enough to be 100% bug free in one language, let alone in twenty odd languages. :P Not to mention the whole unicode mess. :P

Those of you who are having errors with the Windows Installer download, I'm pretty sure I corrected the problem. Bug test it? :)
Perfect! All 37 updates downloaded with no errors :)

Thanks again.

@seapagan - hmm... some good points there.

ok, i'll relent... but only 42% :)

Allright, I can live with that! :P

SP

As a fellow .Net coder, I have to say great little app, I love to make simple little utilities too.

I'm posting to let you know the feature I'd most like to see is the ability you already mention, to only grab updates I don't have, or better yet (an easier to code) is a dropdown that will "only get updates after SPx).

One example why is there are XP cds with integrated SP1 or SP2 (or slipstreamed for the power users here) so they only need the updates that came after that point.

Of course the next feature would be to have a drop down choose which OS they want, ex: Win 2000, Win 2003, Vista.

From the looks of it it looks like you hardcoded all the updates into the app, if I'm correct then you'd need to update your app every month. You know there is an XML file you can download from MS to get the list of updates.

From the looks of it it looks like you hardcoded all the updates into the app...

Indeed, they are at the moment. However, I was thinking of changing that. Since you have to be connected to the internet to download the updates, I could have the utility automatically retrieve an XML style updates list using my personal domain as a host, therefore excluding the need for people to update their executables.

You know there is an XML file you can download from MS to get the list of updates.

This could be interesting to look at. Do you have a link?

As a fellow .Net coder...

What language do you code in?

@everyone:

Thank you for all the positive feedback and support. :) Much appreciated, it's encouraging to find people finding my little slap of code so useful.

Those of you who are having errors with the Windows Installer download, I'm pretty sure I corrected the problem. Bug test it? :)

Works fantastic, no problems at all. Pity I spent last night manually downloading all the updates....

Great work jcarle :thumbup

We get a lot of clients who come onboard with their laptops (and employee's) that may not be totally up to date. A usefull function for me would be if this tool could check which hotfixes have not been installed on the computer, then install them on request ... that would be so cool! This way I could carry around one CD containing the hotfixes and this tool, to make all my systems up to date.

Now we're talking. This would be insanely cool. I love that idea.