Windows XP Updates Downloader

great tool

The problem that is shown by seapagan happens to me too

i checkt the file by micro## and it showed this "Validation Required" so mayby it is only able to download the free downloads

Sorry for the bad english

Scorp

This should be a most helpful utility for those without IE in their nLite installs and are only limted to FF...

WindizUpdate is another alternative for FF users, though i do like the idea of jcarle's utility better for a few reasons. more on this below...

What about providing command-line switches that could be used to allow this utility to work as a plug-in for nLite, HFSLIP and/or XPCreate. If the authors could provide feedback on that?

It's an option, however personally I saw this prog as something you set running then come back to a directory full of hotfixes which can then be used as PC's require them.

To be honest, the slipstreaming of hotfixes is pretty well covered by RyanVM's packs, and I dont see the need to add another tool into the mix. Integrating with nLite would be superfluous for the same reasons, and just add more to the 'nLite doesn't work cos I cant be bothered to read the instructions' posts that litter that forum. Similar I would thumbs down on your tool integrating the hotfixes into the XP source also.

The best tool does one thing really well, not everything badly ;P

i disagree with the above. yeah, Ryan's CAB pretty well covers it but, with all due respect to Ryan (and i donated funds to him), the CAB is not always up to date, whereas jcarle's is as up to date as MS is (which isn't necessarily saying much, now is it :) ).

the statement that "The best tool does one thing really well, not everything badly" seems kind of odd. if that were the case, then nLite would be restricted to ONE purpose, whether that purpose be unattended OR slipstreaming OR components removal OR tweaks OR etc., etc., etc.. anyone really want to d/l, install, configure and run 5 or 10 different applications to build a windows installation? i know i don't. since one of the capabilities of nLite is to slip service packs/hotfixes, i don't think incorporating this utility is out of line at all. the only suggestion i'd make is to allow it to run using nuhi's .NET runtimes for those that don't want a full-blown .NET installation.

of course this is all just talk if nuhi doesn't want to incorporate it :)

and as other have already stated i think, i'd also like to see:

1) ability to install, then delete the hotfix installer

2) ability to install, then remove the hotfix uninstall option (and related windows directory), thereby saving some space (with a STRONG warning!).

3) the ability to install and save the installer to a selected directory.

4) the ability to d/l and save the installer only (no installation).

it would also be possible to select more than one of the above options.

EDIT...

ah, wasn't thinking when i posted the above... if this is ever incorporated or added as a plugin for nLite, then there's another option that i think is very important and that is to be able to slip Ryan's CAB and use the windows updater util to d/l ONLY fixes released after his CAB.

Edited by atomizer

Tested in XP Pro SP2 En in VMWare.

Folder destination works.

The first version had the same problem as post #2 when d/ling Windows Installer 3.1, even when the exe executes from C:\.

V. 060117 also had a problem here, but different error (as shown).

Two questions here:

1. I suppose this tool will need to be updated monthly in line with the current list?

2. For different lang versions, is that just the GUI, or the actual downloads (but the links would be different)?

Edited by Takeshi

i disagree with the above. yeah, Ryan's CAB pretty well covers it but, with all due respect to Ryan (and i donated funds to him), the CAB is not always up to date, whereas jcarle's is as up to date as MS is (which isn't necessarily saying much, now is it :) ).

True, but Ryan's pack is usually pretty up to date - recently he had major problems with hard drives, hence the delay in the latest release. The slack was picked up by siginet with his addon for the missing updates. Microsoft generally only releases patches once a month remember. I have no problems installing a couple of updates direct from MS Update after installation.

the statement that "The best tool does one thing really well, not everything badly" seems kind of odd. if that were the case, then nLite would be restricted to ONE purpose, whether that purpose be unattended OR slipstreaming OR components removal OR tweaks OR etc., etc., etc.. anyone really want to d/l, install, configure and run 5 or 10 different applications to build a windows installation? i know i don't. since one of the capabilities of nLite is to slip service packs/hotfixes, i don't think incorporating this utility is out of line at all.

Exactly. nLite already incorporates hotfixes. Just pump them in from the download directory created by this tool. And personally, I have no problems to use more than one tool to get the job done if seperate tools do a better job. I already use siginets integrator, BTS's driverpacks and nLite on my CD's anyway.

and as other have already stated i think, i'd also like to see:

1) ability to install, then delete the hotfix installer

<snipped a bit>

it would also be possible to select more than one of the above options.

Actually, you may have convinced me of something that I never thought of! :thumbup

We get a lot of clients who come onboard with their laptops (and employee's) that may not be totally up to date. A usefull function for me would be if this tool could check which hotfixes have not been installed on the computer, then install them on request ... that would be so cool! This way I could carry around one CD containing the hotfixes and this tool, to make all my systems up to date.

This doesn't mean that I'm backing down on my objection to source integration options though ;P

ah, wasn't thinking when i posted the above... if this is ever incorporated or added as a plugin for nLite, then there's another option that i think is very important and that is to be able to slip Ryan's CAB and use the windows updater util to d/l ONLY fixes released after his CAB.

This would also add a lot of extra work for Ryan & jcarle - how to determine which hotfixes have already been incorporated by ryan's packs so duplicates are not installed by this tool?

Personally, I am really enthusiastic about this tool, but (again my opinion) believe that doing one 'step' only is better than trying to do things that are covered by other tools. I would use this to maintain a library of post SP2 hotfixes, so that I can install them on any computer that needs them.

Also, it depends on what jcarle wants to put in ;)

New version up. I added quite a few of the options you guys asked for.

Test it for bugs. :)

Works good jcarle. I like the progress window, looks cleaner and more functional. The program is much more responsive generally also. I tested the destination folder option, works fine.

Still get the same problem with the windows installer download, though it's now a standard 'windows has encountered a problem ...' instead on the .net error. This seems to happen at the very end, after the hotfix has downloaded so dont think it is anything to do with WGA or similar.

Edit:

I would still like to see the function where if the download directory already contains a hotfix, that the corresponding checkbox in the list is unchecked by default. This would make it easier when new hotfixes come out - just run the tool and get the new ones.

SP

Edited by seapagan