svpack folder necessary after integrating?

I wonder if the svcpack folder is really necessary after integrating hotfixes? Because when using the /integrate switch, some files in I386 (files provided by the hotfix) become replaced by new versions (those of the hotfix?)... They' re not compressed anymore, the compressed ones are deleted during integrate.

Sooo... Would that work?

- It would save time (the hotfixes don' t have to be installed since the files in I386 are recent.

- It would save some space!

But... How would Windows know, which updates have already been integrated? hmm...

Edited by vpn-user

Integrating method by Microsoft isn't really integrated ... in fact hotfixes are installed during gui part and update files (why svcpack is a must ) ...

If you want "really integrate" hotfixe use nLite which is replace the older file of I386 directly and svpack is no longer used.

edit: and time of installation is speeded up too (sorry for my lang. ^^ )

Edited by sonic

I hadn't considered that, Sonic. Updates by nLite were taking so long, that I began to do it manually once again. If you are correct, then switching back to nLite will shorten install time. Simply ridding myself of that svcpack folder will free up 62MB of CD space (more, if nLite recompresses everything after integration).

But I had another question: How will Windows know, which updates are already installed when integrating manually (replacing files in I386 using the files provided by the hotfixes)?

Sonic, if nlite does it like you said, it would be enough for me to delete the svcpack folder as well as svcpack.inf and makecab the files in I386 updated by the hotfixes? Because using the /integrate switch not only places the hotfix in svcpack, but also updates files in i386 directly but does not compress them :(...

Edited by vpn-user