[Question] - add Hibernate button on 'Turn off computer'

jdaniel

300MB? What did you get? The Library of Congress? The hotfix is 546KB, and it addresses ONLY this issue. It sounds like what you found was some kind of major update that includes numerous hotfixes. And yes, it was provided by Microsoft, and I downloaded it from a Microsoft website. The only thing that it does is enable a fourth button on the shutdown menu which is Hibernate.

So instead of having this:

3button.jpg

You have this:

4button.jpg

I also developed a registry hack that will add it to Tools > Folder Options > View menu as well. That hack is below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; part 1 - the actual setting for show hibernate on shutdown
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Shutdown]
"ShowHibernateButton"=dword:00000001

; part 2 - the menu item - to get to it, open any folder and go tools -> folder options -> view
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\System]
"Bitmap"="SHELL32.DLL,22"
"Text"="System Settings"
"Type"="group"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\System\Hibernate]
"CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002
"RegPath"="Software\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\System\\Shutdown"
"ValueName"="ShowHibernateButton"
"UncheckedValue"=dword:00000000
"Type"="checkbox"
"Text"="Show Hibernate Button on Shutdown Menu"

Later.

Edited by Maelstorm

Mircrosoft let me request to the technical support team in China.I guess they must only support simpified Chinese win xp.

It's a pity.

Hello Tech Support,

This customer`s issue was received at Microsoft and would be better addressed by your Support team. We are forwarding you this e-mail message for your attention and follow-up.

Please respond directly to the customer.

-------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I understand from your message that you would like to add the hibernate button. I realize your concern.

If you are seeking assistance with a Microsoft product that was purchased outside of North America, you may wish to contact your local subsidiary directly for assistance.

At this time, our Support Professionals are only trained to troubleshoot issues with North American versions of our products whereas the Support Professionals at the local Microsoft subsidiaries are trained to troubleshoot issues with localized versions of our software.

Hence, I am forwarding your request to the technical support team in China. They will contact you within one business day, to resolve the issue.

I hope your issue gets resolved soon and appreciate your patience in this regard.

Thank you for using Microsoft Products and Services,

Edited by newcomer

• 5 months later...

What's really interesting is the "unreleased" "fix" appears on a new XP machine (a Tablet edition on a Motion Computer LE1600). Why would it be considered untested if it's in release? Anyhow it is apparently an updated msgina.dll (as mentioned in KB # 893056). I will try moving that to an older tablet PC (Motion LE1400) that I have here too, and make registry changes as documented in the same article if necessary. Will perhaps let you know if this works.

Edited by pjbee

There is a collection of very small & free files (winoff25.zip) available which will allow you to normal shutdown, hybernate, reboot & forced versions of the three directly by clicking on it. No need to apply any patch or hotfix.

(Mini Shut Down Utilities for Win'9x/ME/NT/2000/XP version 2.5 by Károly Kálmán)