[Question] - add Hibernate button on 'Turn off computer'

jdaniel

hello,

i have serched the forums and did not find anything for this.

i am running Windows XP with SP2 + hotfixes. i use the Welcome screen not the classic logon.

how can i add a 'hibernate' button to the 'Turn Off Computer' dialog ?

it can be done, i saw it on a Sony VAIO laptop. i only have 'Stand By', 'Turn Off' and 'Restart'.

sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this !

thanks,

OJi.

hello,

thanks for the replies.

i followed your steps but the hibernate button still does not appear.

on ms website (the link you provided) sais something about a hotfix.

i searched the hotfix, i do not have it, autopatcher does not have it, RyanVM's package does not have it.

i tried with my virtual machine too. the button does not appear.

where do i get the hotfix ?

thanks,

OJi.

If you want it without contacting MS, it is available at the hotfixnet site (sorry, the URL is automatically disguised on this board, google for XP SP3)

(number 893056)

Note: this is an unofficial collection of post SP2 hotfixes, the claim that they will be included in SP3 is spurious.

The hotfixes which MS asks you to contact them about, such as this one, always state

Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

So it is not a good idea to install one of these unless you are sure you need it. That is why Autopatcher does not include them.

Edited by JRosenfeld

sounds good.

let me have a try :thumbup

Sorry, but I can't post it here on the board. To do so would violate Microsoft's EULA and put this site in jepordy of being shutdown. Furthermore, this file is a restricted distribution and you must ask them for it like I did. It won't cost you anything because you are specifically requesting a hotfix that already exists even though it has not been published. All that you have to do is submit a support request via their website, give them your name, email, product id, and your problem/request, and they will assign you a case id. When a human reviews it, they will send you a email with the URL and the password to the file.

I kinda understand why Microsoft has this hotfix on restricted access. It has not been properly tested so only they only give it to the people who request it. It's a legal thing because you install this hotfix with the knowledge that if it causes a problem, then it's your problem, not theirs. Basic CYA legal stuff.

I'm under the impression that they will give it to anyone who asks for it without question, but you have to ask for it.

the hotfix is from microsoft. check the link to the ms website in this thread. the hotfix - KB893056 has ~500 KB.

we cannot post it here as explained by Maelstorm.

you can get it by contacting microsoft or by downloading the 300 MB pack. the pack is not made by ms and it is a collection of hotfixes. the hotfix is in it.

OJi.