[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

Hello,

I am using the final version of your switchless installer and I recieve "Your sharing folders aren't yet available, please try again in a minute" when trying to setup up Shared Folders.

This may be a problem with Windows Live Messenger servers at the time of writing and if I discover it is, I will post back - otherwise, please fix this issue.

Thank you for a great release.

laze.

Hello,

After further investigation I have more information to share.

With Event Manager open (System), I recieve the following errors each time I open Windows Live Messenger.

DCOM got error "193 is not a valid Win32 application. " attempting to start the service usnsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{736F8997-C651-4C45-BC43-8AF8369890F1}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

And

The Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service service failed to start due to the following error: 
Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service is not a valid Win32 application.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Each error occurs twice, in the above order, one after the other (I imagine this is because Microsoft have coded it so that messenger makes a second attempt if unsuccessful the first time).

Can you shed some light please Shark007? As Windows Live Messenger continues to report "Your sharing folders aren't yet available, please try again in a minute" and the problem is clearly related to the above Event Manager entries.

Thank you.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I am using the final version of your switchless installer and I recieve "Your sharing folders aren't yet available, please try again in a minute" when trying to setup up Shared Folders.

This may be a problem with Windows Live Messenger servers at the time of writing and if I discover it is, I will post back - otherwise, please fix this issue.

Thank you for a great release.

laze.

Hello,

After further investigation I have more information to share.

With Event Manager open (System), I recieve the following errors each time I open Windows Live Messenger.

DCOM got error "193 is not a valid Win32 application. " attempting to start the service usnsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{736F8997-C651-4C45-BC43-8AF8369890F1}

And

The Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service service failed to start due to the following error: 
Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader service is not a valid Win32 application.

Each error occurs twice, in the above order, one after the other (I imagine this is because Microsoft have coded it so that messenger makes a second attempt if unsuccessful the first time).

Can you shed some light please Shark007? As Windows Live Messenger continues to report "Your sharing folders aren't yet available, please try again in a minute" and the problem is clearly related to the above Event Manager entries.

Thank you.

laze.

Hello Shark,

I have uninstalled Windows Live Messenger and re-installed it direct from the Microsoft website and have found the problem is isolated to your installation.

What I noticed (and it can only be related) is that when starting your version of Windows Live Messenger for the first time, you do not recieve the prompt "Your sharing folders are not currently on this machine, would you like to add them" where when you download Windows Live Messenger direct from Microsoft, the first time you run it, you do...

Thank you for a great release but please investigate the above.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

For the 7z installers i will know config lines. Does anyone known more?

;!@Install@!UTF-8!

Title=""

; File.exe or bat or cmd etc. /Parameter

RunProgram=""

; Desktop Icoon

Shortcut="D, {%PROGRAMFILES%\\Programm Map\\File.exe}, {Nothing}, {Target Map}, {Description}, {Icoon Name}"

; Startmenu Icoon

Shortcut="S, {%PROGRAMFILES%\\Programm Map\\File.exe}, {Nothing}, {Target Map}, {Description}, {Icoon Name}"

; Startmenu/Programms Icoon

Shortcut="P, {%PROGRAMFILES%\\Programm Map\\File.exe}, {Nothing}, {Target Map}, {Description}, {Icoon Name}"

; Startmenu/Start Icoon

Shortcut="T, {%PROGRAMFILES%\\Programm Map\\File.exe}, {Nothing}, {Target Map}, {Description}, {Icoon Name}"

; Unpack 7z file normall

GUIMode="1"

; Unpack 7z file silent

GUIMode="2"

; ? (other flags?)

GUIFlags="44"

; Overwrite files standard

OverwriteMode="1"

; Overwrite files silent

OverwriteMode="2"

;!@InstallEnd@!

Edited by arco

Hello Shark,

I have uninstalled Windows Live Messenger and re-installed it direct from the Microsoft website and have found the problem is isolated to your installation.

What I noticed (and it can only be related) is that when starting your version of Windows Live Messenger for the first time, you do not recieve the prompt "Your sharing folders are not currently on this machine, would you like to add them" where when you download Windows Live Messenger direct from Microsoft, the first time you run it, you do...

Thank you for a great release but please investigate the above.

laze.

thanks for the information, i will look into correcting this before 8.1 goes final

shark

I've completely revised the installation package for the 8.1 BETA release.

The previous installer had several problems/issues such as the sharing folder not working etc.

I have overcome ALL issues related to this package. This MSI now works with GPO, AD, and SMS installations. It is distributed without any modified files.

The new installer uses the original MSI.

The package is still editable allowing you to add your localized and modified files. This installer fails from svcpack for some users. Please use an installation method of your choice after 1st boot.

You can grab it from my repository.

shark

You're welcome Shark - thank you for resolving the issue.

Do you have plans to update the final release, as this is the packge I've been using and experiencing the Shared Folders issue with. Clearly it affected the BETA release too and I'm glad it's resolved.

laze.

Do you have plans to update the final release...laze.

No, I was not going to update the 8.0 release mainly because i dont have the original installer handy.

Its my opinion that 8.1 will be final very soon.

Now that I have aquired the knowledge to use the original MSI, when 8.1 does go final, I'll apply this knowledge and produce a trouble-free installer.

shark

Shark the RAR sfx did not work for me during svcapck, it could not locate a dll or something...

Im guessing if i extract the files and create a 7zip silent installer all will go much better, its not the first time I have trouble with winrar sfx files

Shark the RAR sfx did not work for me during svcapck, it could not locate a dll or something...

Im guessing if i extract the files and create a 7zip silent installer all will go much better, its not the first time I have trouble with winrar sfx files

Thanks for the information. I did not test the scenario. I prefer 7zip myself. I only changed to WinRAR for this distribution to make it easier for people to modify. 7zip will make the installer a whole MB smaller too.

There just isnt enough hours in a day for me to accomplish everything i wish to do. I needed Live Messenger to be deployed through GPO and the original MSI was failing. Along with fixing this deployment issue I also was able to produce an AIP.

Enough rambling, I'll drop its designation to runoncex untill i have time to test it further.

shark

Do you have plans to update the final release...laze.
No, I was not going to update the 8.0 release mainly because i dont have the original installer handy. shark

OK, I was persuaded to change my mind.

8.0 final has also been updated to use the original msi to perform the installation.

shark

I only changed to WinRAR for this distribution to make it easier for people to modify. 7zip will make the installer a whole MB smaller too.
Why not go back or put up your CreateNewInstaller.7z file so others who have trouble with the RAR sfx and dont know how to make a 7zip sfx can make their own.