[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

And do you use runonceex to install your apps? Also i didnt told that winrar has any problem ... not at all. Its a general problem in sfx (7z or sfx) when executing the after extract command (they by default, dont wait to finish). Also i told that using Winrar sfx TempMode, winrar does this automatically, not needing to use "startx /w" for example.

The reality is ... after changing the installers to use the technic i told, all worked perfect after that. No overlapping of running installers.

And since this can be applied also to svcpack-able installers ... its a good practice to use it, since both worlds can benefit from it :)

hey mate, can you do a quick step by step of how to repackage it after replacing the files..

i always use 7zs.sfx, config.txt and a 7z file, with an Installer.exe inside that (i write the exe for each program that needs one)

bit stumped here!

hey mate, can you do a quick step by step of how to repackage it after replacing the files..
Since this is now distributed in a winrar archive, right click it, choose OPEN with winrar.

Now you can just ddrrraaaggg your new files into the winrar program so that they overwrite the existing files.

shark

One again here i am :)

But this time i found the problem and a solution.

The problem: Like i thinked the problem is because of not waiting that the setup of a ware finishes before another one starts. Causing all the problems i mentioned, even the one with firefox. Its not a runonceex problem, because it always waits for the sfx to extract. The problem is inside the sfx.

Also notices that there is no difference between having the items in runonceex, all in differente entries or using subcommands (like i used before).

Searching this forums i found that someone had the same problem : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55193

In the topic there are many solutions ... but none works ... only the last one :)

And is related with the WinRAR SFX TempMode. Winrar when using this mode, automatically waits for the installing program finish. Tested and worked 100%. Without using the TempMode, winrar just executes the command and leaves, so it needs a solution like the one i tell next.

Another solution is using StartX.exe freeware utility or the RunHiddenConsole.exe (tried with "start /wait", and like told in the topic ... doesnt work) to run the msiexec or msistub inside the sfx, after the extraction. This technic is used for example in the installation of .net frameworks unattended packs (found at the forum).

After this ... all i have to say is thank you to all. And sorry for all this posts and reply's :P

Good research, but it isn't necessary to switch to RAR sfx or use StartX. I posted a completely new 7z SFX module, in the "How to make a 7zip switchless installer" topic. I didn't give the full documentation but enough to know this module doesn't need StartX, msistub, Hide.exe or whatever and it waits nicely untill all processes started by the module are terminated, before it quits.

I did not create it and I actually found it because Shark007 told me about it months ago... but I think he uses an older version, the latest version ((april) is what I am talking about.

I never stopped using 7z SFX + this very nice editable Live Messenger installer :)

Edited by ZileXa

• 1 month later...

Updated the BETA to v8.1.0106 - get the editable installer from my Repository.

Please check the MD5 because I updated several times working on adding a cmdline to the registry run section to remove the sqm files littering the root directory. Although the files do get created, they will be removed on each reboot.

For those wanting a link to Microsoft to get the original english file - URL

shark

I'm a noob here.

I've made quite a few XP cd's using RyanVM and nLite, but i've never quite understood switchless installers, SFX, and making addons.

I've read a couple tutorials, but it all looks like Greek to me.

Shark, you got any links to some good, clearly written tutorials?

I wouldn't mind learning how to make my own Addons, but truthfully, all I really wanna do is take this 9.81MB installer I got from the Repository and integrate it into my XP installation cd.

How to use a Switchless Installer.

1st of all, understanding what a switchless installer is: executute = installed

There are several methods available, I'll touch the 2 main ones;

SVCPACK METHOD

Place the EXE downloaded into a folder named SVCPACK withih the I386 directory.

expand svcpack.in_ to get to the svcpack.inf file

edit this file to have it execute the EXE as follows:

[setupHotfixesToRun]

example.exe

recompress the svcpack.inf file with this command in a DOS window: makecab svcpack.inf

DO NOT LEAVE THE UNCOMPRESSED FILE SVCPACK.INF IN I386 - DELETE IT.

RUNONCEEX METHOD

I suggest you read this page in the Unattended Guide.

shark

Hi Shark

TNX for the wonderful Windows Live Messenger - version 8.0.812 multilingual :thumbup

May you let me know what language are supported?

Regards

coucou

I personally cannot test installations other than English.

If you use the installer 'As Is', it will default to english with no patching.

The purpose of this distribution is to allow you to add patched/localized files to the installer. To the best of my knowledge, once you insert your patched files into this package, it will install with your localization. If you just want it to be your language without using modified files, replace these files:

msgslang.dll

msgsres.dll

msidcrl40.dll

msnmsgr.exe

The supported languages are the languages of the replaced files.

shark