[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

Hi ... thanks for the quick reply.

The distributed files work in all my tests. (svcpack and runonce)

As a side note, WinRAR doesn't have a corporate version. You may want to contact rarsoft.com

You should possibly attempt installation of my wares using the SVCPACK METHOD.

This way all users will have access to the programs not just the administrator.

shark

Edited by Shark007

We were writing the reply and editing the post at the same time :) Please check the edit note in the previous post. Thanks.

PS: Its not corporate version (i know it doesnt exists) ... just a modified version by me with some extra themes incorporated & tweaks.

Edited by kalavera

But there isnt a way to create the shortcuts in All Users folder even during runonce? This way wouldnt be a problem.

And about the add/remove entries ... its a normal behavior in your installers? Would be nice to have it.

I dont like the svcpack method for applications :S So i have all my unattended apps installing in runonceex.

Firefox keeps giving me that error and doesnt install :S

A sidenote: why do you extract to %systemroot%\Installer instead of using TempMode from WinRAR sfx? For example using this sfx code :

Setup=msistub.exe livemess.msi /qb
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

Edited by kalavera

And about the add/remove entries ... its a normal behavior in your installers? Would be nice to have it.
This is NOT normal, completely unexpected, and the 1st i ever heard of my wares not showing in add/remove.
A sidenote: why do you extract to %systemroot%\Installer instead of using TempMode from WinRAR sfx?
For svcpack compatibility. If you aren't using svcpack, you may use tempmode if you wish.

shark

Edited by Shark007

can I replace some files with hacked´s ones? (on a ptb working release)
Yes, that is the intent of the distribution is to allow you to replace files. NOTE: any file with the exact same filename may be replaced.

shark

Edited by Shark007

One again here i am :)

But this time i found the problem and a solution.

The problem: Like i thinked the problem is because of not waiting that the setup of a ware finishes before another one starts. Causing all the problems i mentioned, even the one with firefox. Its not a runonceex problem, because it always waits for the sfx to extract. The problem is inside the sfx.

Also notices that there is no difference between having the items in runonceex, all in differente entries or using subcommands (like i used before).

Searching this forums i found that someone had the same problem : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55193

In the topic there are many solutions ... but none works ... only the last one :)

And is related with the WinRAR SFX TempMode. Winrar when using this mode, automatically waits for the installing program finish. Tested and worked 100%. Without using the TempMode, winrar just executes the command and leaves, so it needs a solution like the one i tell next.

Another solution is using StartX.exe freeware utility or the RunHiddenConsole.exe (tried with "start /wait", and like told in the topic ... doesnt work) to run the msiexec or msistub inside the sfx, after the extraction. This technic is used for example in the installation of .net frameworks unattended packs (found at the forum).

After this ... all i have to say is thank you to all. And sorry for all this posts and reply's :P

This is NOT normal, completely unexpected, and the 1st i ever heard of my wares not showing in add/remove.
A sidenote: why do you extract to %systemroot%\Installer instead of using TempMode from WinRAR sfx?
For svcpack compatibility. If you aren't using svcpack, you may use tempmode if you wish.

shark

Temp mode works in svcpack ;)

kalavera, very nice research and thank you for sharing your findings. I now see the error in my methods of testing. I mostly concentrate on having things SVCPACK compatible because 90% of MY unattended installations are done that way. The applications in question, were both svcpack compatible.

Only applications that couldn't be made svcpack compatible are 'downgraded' (I know, bad term) to runonce(ex) installation. But i never really did 'test' these scenario's fully because to me, erroneously, it was the same as being logged in meaning they weren't being installed in a sequential order as in runounce(ex).

again, thanks

muiz, have you tested uninstalling one of my msi installers after repacking using tempmode thru svcpack? In my tests, uninstall failed with the message 'can't find *.msi' This is why i use %systemroot%\installer and delete the setup files after installation, preserving the actual msi for windows to use during uninstall.

shark

Edited by Shark007