[Release] Live Messenger 8.5 final

Shark007

this is SUPER tool!
Thank you again
:thumbup

* * * UPDATED AUGUST 19, 2006 - This (and previos installers) do not properly create the sharing folder if installed through svcpack. YOU MUST install this after 1st boot. (runounceex etc.)

shark

If you weren't experiencing problems with this package, you DO NOT need this updated installer.

* * * UPDATED AUGUST 27, 2006 - A few users (mostly non-english but not all) have been experiencing difficulties with this package. I've completely redone the installer and hopefully have solved all these issues. The new installer uses WinRAR instead of 7z on the suggestion of 'Muiz'.

shark

Hi Is they any particular reason why the Windows Liv eSafety Scanner installer has been removed from your website ? Thanks
I removed it because the program auto updated on a weekly basis and this auto updating caused double entries to be created in add/remove programs. I may update the installer sometime in the future, but for now, i took the installer down.

shark

Edited by Shark007

1st download and install Live Messenger. Next get Apatch (google it) or similar software and with messenger NOT loaded, use Apatch on your current installation. Be sure to choose 'backup files' so that the original files are marked .bak. Then go to the installation directory and copy the patched files (you'll know which are patched because the originals are now .bak). Decompress my installer and overwrite the existing files in my installer with the patched ones. re-create the 7zip sfx exe , and use it in your uA media.

shark

I'm trying to repackage the installer but the WinRAR sfx installer I am creating just wont run.. I am following the instructions from the second post in this thread but when I double click the installer a black cmd window flashes briefly then nothing?

to apply a-patch patches files just take the patched files from installed live messenger folder. look for the files with .bak extensions, the new ones with .exe are the ones to be included in a sfx archive. just extract them and overwrite the files after the msi with /qn or this switchless setup from shark.

ok, so I used the Windows Live Messenger silent installer of shark's and created a sfx archive to replace the modified files created by apatch. Worked flawlessly. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems with installing messenger during runonceex. I notice that if i put it before another installer (using also msi), your installer brokes the installation, because appears a message telling me that another install is in progress. Maybe you launch the installation of messenger but dont wait for it to finish, before continuing. This way the other installers crash.

As a note, if i dont put your installer in my runonceex script, my installation is ok.

Here it is a sample of my runonceex script:

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /VE /D "Utilities Installation ..." /f

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\MSNMSGS\msglive80812.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /V 2 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\MSNMSGS\InkInstaller.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /V 3 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\PDFREADER\AR708.exe" /f

In this case normally breaks in the Acrobat Reader installation (since it also uses MSI).

Another question: Is you installer compatible with the original installer? What i mean is, if there is an update or if i try to install a newer version using the original installer over this one, works fine?

Thanks for all, and keep the good work!

I'm having problems with installing messenger during runonceex.
I think your problem exists in the format of your installations.

Try a new entry, for each new ware.

EXAMPLE:

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /VE /D "Windows Live Messenger" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\MSNMSGS\msglive80812.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\012 /VE /D "Messenger Ink Installer" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\012 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\MSNMSGS\InkInstaller.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\013 /VE /D "Adobe Reader" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\013 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\PDFREADER\AR708.exe" /f

Another question: Is you installer compatible with the original installer? What i mean is, if there is an update or if i try to install a newer version using the original installer over this one, works fine?
I suggest you uninstall ANY ware before installing an updated version. Removing my installers through add/remove programs will not remove any of your 'personal' settings. Most likely, using the original microsoft installer after using mine will overwrite my installation but leave double entries in add/remove because my installer is my installer, and microsofts installer is microsofts. I didnt modify microsofts installer, i created a new one.

shark

Edited by Shark007

Hi ... thanks for the quick reply.

I have tested again my runonceex, with those modifications you suggested (putting each ware in a different entry). The results continue ... none of your silent installers (live messenger or firefox) are installed. Maybe the problem is about the extraction to temp directory or something :S

Also during firefox 1.5.0.7 installation there is an error popup "7-zip" "Can not delete output file"..

Also note: now only this firefox error appears ... but messenger and firefox arent installed in the end! All the other ware's are installed correctly.

But like i told in the previous post ... my old script always worked 100% ... installing frameworks, utilities, office, codecs, etc ... only when i changed from the original messenger msi to your's ... this problems started.

here it is part of the modified runonceex script:

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "[ Utilities Installation ]" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\021 /VE /D " - WinRAR 3.60 Corporate Edition ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\021 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\WINRAR\wrar360ce.exe /s" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\022 /VE /D " - Windows Live Messenger 8.0812 ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\022 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\MSNMSGS\msglive80812.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\023 /VE /D " - Windows Live Messenger - Ink Installer ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\023 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\MSNMSGS\InkInstaller.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\024 /VE /D " - Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.7 ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\024 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\FIREFOX\firefox1507.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D " - Mozilla Firefox - Extensions ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\FIREFOX\ffexts.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\026 /VE /D " - Acrobat Reader 7.0.8 ..." /f
REG ADD %KEY%\026 /V 1 /D "%CD%\INSTALL\PDFREADER\AR708.exe" /f

EDIT

I noticed that live messenger is extracted to the program files folder and works, but there isnt any entry in add/remove programs (messenger or ink installer), and noticed that the only shortcut created is in the administrator account start menu. Thats why i told before it wasnt installed :S Sorry. But even then ... maybe it needs this issues fixed. Like for example the start menu created in the All Users folder. Firefox continues to not be installed.

About the modified original .msi ... i just thought it would be easier that way, because it would garanty a fully correct install, and future automatic updates would be smooth (for example when messenger tells ppl that there is a new version, he tried automatically to install it, and this way wouldnt be a problem). Before this was my method ... but now i cant get to modify the original .msi :S So i found your silent installers and used them! Dont want with this to tell that your way is not good ... just different.

Thanks!

Edited by kalavera