Guest account asks password

Hey,

I know that some people allready had this problem and posted here, but the proposed sollutions are not clear for me.

I made a nice unattended cd for an xp pro. There is just one small problem. When I want to go on anouther pc on my network it asks the password for the guest account. The username "guest" grayed out, so I cant change it. When I run the Networkwizzard it works fine. (I added a picture of what I see)

I read allready a lot of stuf about it. Like that it only occurs when you set UnattendSwitch="yes".

But I wounder what makes this Network wizzard so magic? What settings does it change? And would it be possible to make those settings unattended??

Thank you in advance. I hope someone can make time to post a cristal clear answer. :)

post-78299-1137250577_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonathan_314

First, run secpol.msc and make some necessary change for guest account. Then run secedit /export /cfg c:\GroupPolicy.inf /quiet to generate a security template. you can use that template for UA Group Policy configuring later.

NOTE: you should apply the KB897327 hotfix first if you use WinXp with SP2 or you are not able to export the template normally,it can be obtained from http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...3-Preview.shtml, or contact Microsoft Product Support Services for it. Don't forget to integrate it into your XPCD later if you want to successfully apply the GroupPolicy template in UA mode.

Unattended process:

1. Enable "file and print sharing" in Windows Xp firewall's exception list from Winnt.sif, see SP2's ref.chm for detail

2. Use net user guest /active:yes to enable the guest account

3. Finally run

secedit /configure /db %systemdrive%\gp.sdb /cfg X:\XX\GroupPolicy.inf /overwrite /quiet

gpupdate

del %systemdrive%\gp.sdb

Change the path of CroupPolicy.inf accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Rico.JohnnY

Ok, I will try that, while i was in that Local security settings page I saw something.

In the "User right asigments" >> "Deny acces to this computer from the network"

The Guest account was in it.

On my other pc where I have run the Network wizard it doesn't has the guest in it. So If I can make a config file like you showed me how to do, then I must know all the settings that the Network wizard changed.

But Ok, for now, I will try to turn the Guest account on. (on my pc with the networkwizard on, it has not the Guest account on hmm strange)

I will try it anyway and let you know if it worked :)

Edited by jonathan_314

Here's the GroupPolicy.inf template for removing guest acount from "deny access to this computer from the network" ,works flawlessly for me..

[unicode]

Unicode=yes

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

Revision=1

[Profile Description]

Description=Enabled network access for guest account without asking user to authenticate. (Windows Professional)

[Privilege Rights]

SeDenyNetworkLogonRight = SUPPORT_388945a0

The following is the default setting one

[unicode]

Unicode=yes

[Version]

signature="$CHICAGO$"

Revision=1

[Profile Description]

Description=deny access to this computer from the network (Windows Professional)

[Privilege Rights]

SeDenyNetworkLogonRight = SUPPORT_388945a0,Guest

Edited by Rico.JohnnY

Guy, am so happy coz it worked.

I mean it worked manualy. I removed the guest from the item I spoke about. And then I enabled the guest user. (I always thought that I didn't have to enable the guest user coz on the machine where it worked the guest user wasn't active, but when I looked on the same working machine the guest user was indeed enabled so there must be a difference between beeing enabled and beeing active )

Now I will try to do this unattended. So I only need to put the settings you gave me in the grouppolicy.inf file and aply them in a cmd file. and before I do that I must enable the user also in the cmd file. So I think I can put this in the runonceex.cmd file. Or not. Well I will try and if it doesnt work I will let you know. Rico.JohnnY thank you for helping me out :)

Edited by jonathan_314

yup..just use the GroupPolicy.inf i provided above for your UA configue,it should work fine as mine does,don't forget to integrate KB897327.EXE into your XPCD using nlite if you use XP SP2. enjoy!

:thumbup

Edited by Rico.JohnnY

What do you mean by "this user"? You mean the "SUPPORT_388945a0"?

Cause "SeDenyNetworkLogonRight = SUPPORT_388945a0,Guest" is the default setting on my PC, i dont know what it is like on yours. So just modify it according to your need.

"SeDenyNetworkLogonRight" is eqaul to the entry "Deny access to this computer from the network" under "User Rights assignment"

None, I will explain myself. I made *.inf policy file from a working computer here. And on this computer there was vmware installed. So in this *.inf file there are also vmusers. I will show you with this code.

[Unicode]
Unicode=yes
[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Revision=1
[Profile Description]
Description=Default Security Settings. (Windows Professional)

blablabla

[Registry Values]

SeInteractiveLogonRight = __vmware__,Guest,Administrators,Users,Power Users,Backup Operators
SeSecurityPrivilege = Administrators
SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege = Administrators

So there you see there is a user vmware. I just woundered if I could leave it there or not. Coz in UA, VMware does not exist yet.

But in fact it is not so important :blushing: . I could as well skip that part I guess.

So I wont cry if you don't reply to this small question of me. :D

I will try it myself :)

Edited by jonathan_314

You could remove any non - system - default user groups from it and apply the template before you install any other apps. So user groups that are created later would be appended to it.

Or another way, make sure what user groups will exist in each item after you have installed OS, add them to each item of the template accordingly, then apply the template at the very end of your UA setup.

maybe you could just leave it there, not tested, but should be ok.

what i recommend is that you make the template as less content as possible, just leave the item you want to apply during UA setup, and delete the others to avoid unexperted problem, cause any security template that comes after will overwrite the value in your template,this issue is described in http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=9513&hl=

Sorry for my poor English, it takes me 10 minutes to type these several lines.hope you could get what i mean

:}

Edited by Rico.JohnnY

Sorry for my poor English, it takes me 10 minutes to type these several lines.hope you could get what i mean

Hehe, your English is quite good :D . I have seen worse, I have seen much worse. Mine is not perfect too. I took your advice and made the template on a virgin machine. (I hope you get what I mean ;) )

Thanks for the advice.