Thunderbird 1.5

boooggy

Here's what's new in Thunderbird 1.5:

* Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Thunderbird may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.

* Sort address autocomplete results by how often you send e-mail to each recipient.

* Spell check as you type.

* Saved Search Folders can now search across multiple accounts.

* Built in phishing detector to help protect users against email scams.

* Podcasting and other RSS Improvements.

* Deleting attachments from messages.

* Integration with server side spam filtering.

* Reply and forward actions for message filters.

* Kerberos Authentication.

* Auto save as draft for mail composition.

* Message aging.

* Filters for Global Inbox.

* Improvements to product usability including redesigned options interface, and SMTP server management.

* Many security enhancements.

more info and download link: http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/releases/1.5.html

thanks prathapml for the rc2 confirmation. I stopped using thunderbird because it would gradually bloat my mailbox. 15 text messages would grow to over 200mb of garbage files eventually in my profile folder. never understood what was causing that.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Announcement: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7892
"The final release of Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 is now available for download from getthunderbird.com. Users of RC1 should see the update soon. If you are using RC2, then you already have 1.5 final."

Amazingly, it still has a lot of bugs for me...

which bugs are you talking about? :wacko:

@DigeratiPrime

Check out tb a second time now! ;)

And also, your mailbox-bloat problem, was because of the way most mail-clients store mails in a database. So when you delete it, actually its only the pointer (visible way to access it) that is not available - the actual content is still present in the db - when you right click all mail folders & choose to "Compact" them, this unnecessary data gets removed & your mailbox size is small again.

@magicfly:

Too numerous to list - starting from a "Stop" button that does nothing, to infrequent mail reception, to mails that dont show up in the new mails list because they got already labelled as "Read", etc....

yeah, it still needs work. it is usable in my case however. the only really annoying bug i've found (and reported a number of times) is clicking the little drop-down arrow next to the 'get new messages' button (i have several accounts and sometimes i don't to retrieve mail for all of them). every now and then, she crashes and exits. if i click on any mailbox folder first, then it doesn't happen.

Hmm I am needing to use OE for this one email account. Probably a bad idea in terms of security but there is no way I am getting spam in that email account because it is a company email. I heard of this bloat problem before. Kind of poopy that it is still around!

Announcement: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7892
"The final release of Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 is now available for download from getthunderbird.com. Users of RC1 should see the update soon. If you are using RC2, then you already have 1.5 final."

Amazingly, it still has a lot of bugs for me...

Although it's still my favorite mail client, it indeed has a lot of bugs. However, these bugs were also present in 1.0 and before. What frightens me is that Mozilla, instead of maked TB more user-friendly (compact folders shouldn't be necessary, nor should the s***load of menu items, nor the annoying Account Details window which has been around since the days of Mozilla M1) they're adding more bloat and not fixing annoying bugs.

I am using OE right now for this one particular email because it is webmail based...I dont get spam in it and I have configured IMAP so things are working great. I love that OE is so quick to start up and that it does not use that much memory as does TB. Also the bugs in TB that bloat up on the hard drive are rather annoying. I hope they fix it soon so I can switch and strip out OE in my next nLite install.