vmware and it's woes

Hello All,

I installed vmware workstation 5.5, (30 day trial), and managed to create a virtual pc with no issues.

I have also installed xp sp2 to this pc via ris, again no issues

I now have the issue of not being able to pass the Ctrl-Alt-Del command to enable myself to login.

It says i need to to press Ctrl-Alt-Insert, which is fine but I have one of these pesky MS keyboards that have the "helpful" function keys and as such the Inset is one(1) of three(3) availble on one(1) key and i can't get this to work.

i've done a search, found nothing, though maybe out there &

I've looked through manul and nothing.

The tool bar offers the chance to Send Ctrl-Alt-Del, but doesn't and without shutting all down and attaching and traditional keyboard in,

How please can I get this to work as needed? - Thank you

P.S - i also have the same issue in MS Virtual PC 2004 - which is painfully slow to use

Cheers Sonic, i looked for that, but you can only change certain key - not specific key combinations though.

looking under Preferences | Input | HotKeys - you can alter the Ctrl, Shft & Alt only.

I think issue is with the MS keyboard, but not sure how.

Are you saying that your Insert, Home, and Delete keys (or something similiar) are all on your 1 (one) key?

What happens when you try to use the same key combination to get the Insert key to work, and then add Ctrl and Alt without letting go of the previous keys?

thanks asin,

The Insert key is also located with the PrtScn & SysRq(whatever that is) commands.

If i'm understanding you correctly do you mean press, ctrl-alt-insert release ctrl-alt and the re-press ctrl-alt?

[edit]

You can also "Pass" Ctrl-ALt-Del via the toolbar menu, but this doesn't work either.

just thought i'd add before suggested as forgot to mention previously.

[/edit]

Edited by oioldman

thanks asin,

The Insert key is also located with the PrtScn & SysRq(whatever that is) commands.

If i'm understanding you correctly do you mean press, ctrl-alt-insert release ctrl-alt and the re-press ctrl-alt?

Actually, what I meant was do whatever it is that you have to do to make the Insert key work, then press Ctrl+Alt.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Fn+1 for Insert, and then press Ctrl+Alt. So basically, Ctrl+Alt+Fn+1 where Fn is what you need to get Insert working.

Now i understand Asin,

downside, i've never used the insert key so will need to investigate that.

Cheers Roguespear, do you use a MS keyboard with th e"helpful" keyboard? and if yes how do you use it within vmware?

When I'm not using my laptop I use a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro. Have been for years, but I've never run into this issue before. I would think that the "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" menu option would work no matter that case. For instance, I commonly terminal service to other XP computers and manage VMware on those computers without any difficulties.