Symantec AntiVirus Corporate v 10

Floppy

Ok

I have read the topics ......maybe Iam "to Slow" on thies matter... :blushing:

The closes I came was this ""%systemdrive%\install\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus.msi /qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS""

Is this what I need to do a silent install, and after reeboot(whole XP install is finalized) just run a virus def update(liveUpdate)... :unsure:

Yes, thats the switch you need for Symantec AV 10.0.2

/QB RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

(i.e., if you have already obtained an admin-install point thru the "/A" switch)

And to update the virus definitions, simply download (the -i32 or -i64, as per your need) it from symantec & extract it.

You will see a ZIP file called VIRSCAN.ZIP - now rename it & replace the file vdefhub.zip in SAV admin-point folder, with this updated ZIP, & its done!

Do post back, on whether it works or not.... :)

Edited by prathapml

The quotes are in the wrong place...

""%systemdrive%\install\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

Give that a shot. And if you're loading it from RunOnceEx using the REG ADD command then it should be like this:

"\"%systemdrive%\install\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus.msi\" /qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

Also, the proper way to update the client is to grab the latest .XDB file from Symantec. See the article titled Updating virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x and Symantec Client Security 3.0. Other methods can cause problems later down the line and aren't supported by Symantec.

I use a modified version of the script they provide to auto-download and apply the latest definitions onto my Parent Server...which automatically pushes the updates out to the clients.

EDIT: I found a post I'd made in a previous thread about updating SAV (without having LiveUpdate issues later):

The correct way to actually update it without having LiveUpdate issues is to grab the lastest .XDB file from:

ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/xdb/

Place this file in the same folder as your install then add the following commands to your CMD file:

START "" /WAIT "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /passive RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS
COPY *.xdb "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\"
net stop "Symantec AntiVirus"
net start "Symantec AntiVirus"

The net stop/start will restart the SAV service, which forces it to read the .XDB file right away. If you're doing this during an unattended install just leave out the net stop/start because it'll happen automatically when the system is restarted.

This works for all versions from 8.x up.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Not without doing the vbdefhub.zip "hack" (not really a hack because it does work, it can just cause problems with LiveUpdate later). You could write an AutoIt script to kill the window.

Here's one that I use for another application we install. All you need to do is change the Window Title in the WinClose statement and compile it.

If @OSVersion <> "WIN_98" And @OSVersion <> "WIN_ME" Then
BlockInput(1)
EndIf

Sleep(1000)
WinClose("Oracle for Windows NT")
Sleep(1000)

If @OSVersion <> "WIN_98" And @OSVersion <> "WIN_ME" Then
BlockInput(0)
EndIf

Exit

updated my post above, its simpler now.

The vdefhub.zip is not a hack anymore, its a proper replacement, liveupdate has no problems with it.

The "Virus def out of date" message wont come up after install, since your defs would already be the latest.

Also, the other solution of *.XDB actually makes no sense for a client-install (XDB is useful only for SAV server). For the desktop version of SAV-10, the best way is to simply update the old ZIP with the new ZIP. This way, you save disk space (no need of keeping the old virdefs when you are gonna update anyway), plus you are updated right from the beginning. The vdefhub.zip replacement is the native way of updating virdefs directly at your install-source itself.

The XDB method works as advertised for the client version, otherwise they wouldn't include the location of where to put the file in the instructions I linked. :)

4. Copy the .xdb file to the correct location, depending on the type of installation:
  • For NetWare servers, the default location is SYS:SAV.
  • For Windows computers, the default location is C:\Program Files\SAV or C:\Program Files\SAV\Symantec AntiVirus.
    For help with this, read the "To find the Symantec AntiVirus program folder on a Symantec AntiVirus or Symantec Client Security server" section in the Technical Information section of this document
  • For clients, the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\.
    The Application Data folder may be hidden. To show hidden and system folders, read the document How to make Windows show all files.

The main reason to use this method is because LiveUpdate will only get updates once a week...no matter how often you schedule it. But, the XDB file is updated daily.

If you use a script along with Task Scheduler you can have your virus definitions updated daily. I use this method on several of our workstations that aren't in the domain so they aren't managed by the SAV Parent Server(s).

However, you are correct in that updating the vdefhub.zip in the installation source will install the latest definitions at install time (or whatever version you last updated it to). It'll work...but that still doesn't make it an approved method. :)

Hey

I did it the way it was described here, and it work perfect :thumbup

Thank you to all of you guy's that cared to answer, it was great :hello:

The quotes are in the wrong place...

""%systemdrive%\install\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

Give that a shot. And if you're loading it from RunOnceEx using the REG ADD command then it should be like this:

"\"%systemdrive%\install\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus.msi\" /qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

Also, the proper way to update the client is to grab the latest .XDB file from Symantec. See the article titled Updating virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x and Symantec Client Security 3.0. Other methods can cause problems later down the line and aren't supported by Symantec.

I use a modified version of the script they provide to auto-download and apply the latest definitions onto my Parent Server...which automatically pushes the updates out to the clients.

EDIT: I found a post I'd made in a previous thread about updating SAV (without having LiveUpdate issues later):

The correct way to actually update it without having LiveUpdate issues is to grab the lastest .XDB file from:

ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/xdb/

Place this file in the same folder as your install then add the following commands to your CMD file:

START "" /WAIT "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /passive RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS
COPY *.xdb "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\"
net stop "Symantec AntiVirus"
net start "Symantec AntiVirus"

The net stop/start will restart the SAV service, which forces it to read the .XDB file right away. If you're doing this during an unattended install just leave out the net stop/start because it'll happen automatically when the system is restarted.

This works for all versions from 8.x up.

updated my post above, its simpler now.

The vdefhub.zip is not a hack anymore, its a proper replacement, liveupdate has no problems with it.

The "Virus def out of date" message wont come up after install, since your defs would already be the latest.

Also, the other solution of *.XDB actually makes no sense for a client-install (XDB is useful only for SAV server). For the desktop version of SAV-10, the best way is to simply update the old ZIP with the new ZIP. This way, you save disk space (no need of keeping the old virdefs when you are gonna update anyway), plus you are updated right from the beginning. The vdefhub.zip replacement is the native way of updating virdefs directly at your install-source itself.

Do you build the msi or do you just take all the files from the /sav folder on the CD?

I Dl'ed the virus def file, then extracted the new file(virus def), and included that file into the org. instal file.