Help...Can't Delete a Folder

tfarre2

I can't delete a folder on a Server 2000 machine...NTFS partition. The folder does not have a security tab. No matter what I do, I get an access denied error. I've tried using rd and rmdir to no avail. Going one folder up and replacing permissions on child objects gives an access is denied error as well. Since this machine is a file server, it cannot be rebooted during the day. I would rather not have to install the recovery console or try to remove the directory by safe mode or rebooting. Any ideas?

It sounds like you don't have permissions to the directory. Grab SubInACL from Microsoft's site. It's a command line utility that you can use to change ACL's and ownership. What you want to do in this case is take ownership of the directory...then you should be able to change the ACL's.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

With SubinACL I am still getting errors. If I try to change the owner to domain\administrators or anything else then it gives an error about no security id for the folder. The folder doesn't even have an owner. Every other folder in the parent does except for this one.

Unlocker could not delete it. When trying to rename it said it could not be done, but it could try once rebooting the machine. That is not a possibility for a week. It looks like a week from now this server will be rebooted.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

possibly.

what directory are to trying to delete?

is it a standard directory installed with windows?

A user created the share on a file server. It is not a critical/system folder.

Have you tried running CHKDSK? If it's telling you it has no security ID then it's possible the Index for that directory is missing and/or invalid in the MFT.

This will take the volume offline while it does the CHKDSK so it'd still be as if you were doing a reboot. CHKDSK is something you should definitely run when you get ready to reboot the server though.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch