Counter-Strike Replacement - WANTED

atomizer

hiya all :hello:

i'm not all hip on the new games that are out there. basically i'm looking for a CS replacement - a tactical, based on real-life, first person shooter. i know about BF1942 and some MOD i tried for the Unreal engine. the Unreal MOD i didn't like at all and i've not yet tried BF.

any suggestions?

Have you had a chance to demo Call of Duty 2 or the original Call of Duty? www.callofduty.com will lead you through a few pages for the links to the demo download. The Medal of Honor Series is good as well although I have never played them online. Battlefield 2 (the successor to BF1942) is much improved over the original and may be worth your time as well. Hope this helps!

Call of Duty and the Original Medal of Honor use the Quake III engine. Call of Duty 2 uses a proprietary engine from Infinity Ward - I don't know it's name. The newest Medal of Honor for the PC is Pacific Assault and it uses the Havok Physics engine.

Sorry - I forgot about BF2 - it has it's own engine that was created for it and I am unaware of it's name.

Edited by Javlin8

thanks!

i like the quake engine because it's so simple to script for. still, i'm checking out the others as well.

ah, i found this...

COD2 engine: partial quote from http://www.tweakguides.com/COD2_1.html

Infinity Ward have moved away from the Quake engine they used for the first Call of Duty, and have coded a new engine (borrowing a range of elements from the Doom 3 engine) for Call of Duty 2. This engine appears to deliver the goods and when run at maximum eye candy really does look as good, if not better, than the Doom 3 engine. However that in itself has become a dual-edged sword: the very source of these amazing DirectX9 graphics and effects has caused a lot of users a great deal of pain, as they find their systems unable to cope with these high-quality DX9 effects. For the most part I can assure you that the COD 2 engine is not "flawed" from what I can see - it simply uses a variety of advanced techniques which can severely drain anything but the most recent of medium to high-end graphics cards. Fortunately there are ways you can adjust these settings to improve your performance.
Edited by atomizer

That's accurate - I didn't have any problems with COD2, but I do know a couple of people running older (one of them was using a Radeon 7000) video cards that had some trouble. If you have the muscle, it does look good though.

you know what, i installed AA twice and twice i removed it. i'm going to look into that again. i never got far enough to be 'qualified' for on-line play (and i didn't want to "patch" it). AA runs on the Unreal engine and it seems that engine allows powerful scripting capability.

thanks for mentioning that.

Your best bet for a real CS replacement is a mod for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory called True Combat: Elite (this is an evolution of the mod True Combat, which was and still is around for Quake 3)

Go here to check it out, it's so much more realistic than CS for a start, no crosshairs, true to life iron sights aiming, none of that HP/Armour Points/Buying weapons crap.

The game is still in development, and so far there are only the two modes Body Count (Deathmatch), and Bomb Defusal/Plant, so at the moment you might as well call it a CS rip off, but this plays so much better than CS ever will. Plus this game has alot more stuff planned for future releases in the form of new game modes and objectives.

:thumbup

I tried most of the games mentioned here, and always eventually go back to playing CS 1.6. IMHO, CS just has the right look and feel. It's simple, I don't have to worry about binding a key to "lean" or crap like that. I have a nice system too (X2 4800+ / A8N-SLI MB / 7800GT) but that old Half Life engine just has the twitchiness I like.

If you find yourself comming back to CS, stop by some of my servers:

]NsR[ Playhouse (CS 1.6): nsr.nuclearfallout.net:27015

]NsR[ Penthouse (CS 1.6): nsr2.nuclearfallout.net:27015

]NsR[ Puppethouse (CS:Source): nsrsource.nuclearfallout.net:27015

Your best bet for a real CS replacement is a mod for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory called True Combat: Elite (this is an evolution of the mod True Combat, which was and still is around for Quake 3)

anyone ever hear of the "WET" game?

partial quote from the TCE website...

TCE is based on the #3 first person shooter and is one of the top total conversion mods worldwide. While being the #1 total conversion mod for the free game WET, TCE is ranked in the Top 5 of all free total conversion mods for first person shooters

i did a little searching, but the results aren't exactly relevant when you search for "wet" "game" :blink:

Edited by atomizer