Is the Ctfmon.exe process really needed?

Is the Ctfmon.exe process really needed?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do have use for the Ctfmon.exe process to run in the background and steal memory?

• Yes
    • No, never
    • Rarely
    • No idea

What Is the Ctfmon.exe File?

Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.

What Does the Ctfmon.exe File Do?

Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

more information here...

Ctfmon.exe - it's an ever annoying helper tool that comes rather unexpectedly at times and liked by nearly nobody. (...) Unless you're using anything in that list above you'll want to stop this file from loading!

Can I Remove the Ctfmon.exe Process from running in the background?

Yes, with the following reg entry, CTFMON is prevent from ever starting up. More information in above link.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"=-
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF]
"Disable Thread Input Manager"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\MSUTB]
"ShowDeskBand"=dword:00000000

Edited by BoardBabe

Actually, if you've got Office in a terminal server environment, unless you're using multiple languages and actually need it, it can be a HUGE performance penalty. Just an FYI - we actually recommend removing the components completely in a TS environment if they aren't used, as they can cause issues in certain configurations (albeit rare, it does happen).

Edited by cluberti

• 7 years later...

Sorry for the "bump", but I got curious about CTFMON running.

According to this -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827323

...the value for "ShowDeskBand" should be "1"

I did what the first post link said to do, then what the above link said to do, AND "removed" the HKCU "RUN" entry for it (you can "move" it to "RUN-" using e.g. CCleaner).

In addition, apparently the first post used the following instructions -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823586

...which contradicts what my first link proposes.

Confusing? Yes!

I hate it when "extra stuff" runs for no apparent useful reason.

edit - FYI - "Best Paractices for Server 2003 Terminal Server"

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2009/10/09/best-practices-on-a-windows-server-2003-terminal-server.aspx

Edited by submix8c

I think this entry changes state when the "bar" or "band" is dragged from the taskbar... As far as I know the LangBar can have three states: a bar on the taskbar (like quicklaunch), a compact bar (with only the button/icon with the language code), or a floating window. I think this entry is irrelevant when the LangBar is already turned off through the other entries.

It should be determined what Microsoft means by the terms toolbar band, desktop band or floating window... I guess there might be some inconsistencies, like in other things Microsoft. :)

In any case, I want neither, so it's 0 for me, and I never saw a ctfmon. :)

GL

• 2 months later...

I use the following registry tweaks to prevent the CTFMON.exe process from running.

;Disable Advanded Text Services (Language bar)HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF","Disable Thread Input Manager",0x10001,1HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar","DontShowCloseLangBarDlg",0x10001,1HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar","ExtraIconsOnMinimized",0x10001,0HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar","ShowStatus",0x10001,3HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\MSUTB","ShowDeskBand",0x10001,0HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\SystemShared","CUAS",0x10001,0

You don't need the language bar to switch between keyboard layouts. Simply pressing ALT + SHIFT still works with these reg tweaks applied.

Edited by Acheron