[Help] - winlogon.exe using 99% cpu

LordFett

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40 with a fresh install of XP pro SP1 and after updating my drivers from IBM.com when I boot up my computer winlogon.exe is using 99% of my cpu resoruces. I've run a virus scan on the drive (from another computer the thinkpad is so lagged it can barely open my computer).

I've tried installing Winpatro, Spybot S&D, Adaware, HJT but nothing will because there are no resources left. I have also tried changing the way users login and had no luck their either.

Any suggestions?

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Does the problem occur in safe mode? Also, if you disconnect all network cables (and disable wireless) does the problem occur?

Also, try using a utility called "process explorer" (http://www.sysinternals.com) to see if you can make more of a determiniation what is running *inside* of the winlogon.exe process consuming CPU.

Is sysinterminals something I can run with the hdd attached to another computer? Because it is so slow it takes 1m30s-3m to open the start menu and additional time to be able to select anything.

I have not tried SP2 but its looking like I might have to before I install the drivers.

When I do connect it to my LAN I keep getting Windows update icons, not one, but at one point I counted 12.

I am going to try and boot it into safe mode and see what happens.

No, you need to run Process Explorer on the machine with the problem, because otherwise how will you see the problem in a working pc? :)

If it doesn't happen in safemode, use msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup items and then boot back into a regular Windows session. One of two things will be true at this point:

1) If the issue doesn't return, it's likely one of the non-Microsoft services or one of the startup items causing the issue - start re-enabling them and rebooting, services first then startup items, until you come across the one causing the issue.

2) If the issue returns, it's going to be a driver issue and you'll have to roll back driver changes to before the problem occurred, reinstalling drivers one at a time (similar to step 1 with services and startup items) until the problem recurs.

If it happens in safe mode, you likely have corrupt system files and will need to do a repair installation to recover.

No, you need to run Process Explorer on the machine with the problem, because otherwise how will you see the problem in a working pc? :)

That is what I figured, since I can't run anything on this machine, skipping this.

If it doesn't happen in safemode,

Safemode never even finished booting.

use msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup items and then boot back into a regular Windows session.

This was the very first thing I did even before I checked task manager.

If it happens in safe mode, you likely have corrupt system files and will need to do a repair installation to recover.

Well since it was a fresh install I am just doing a total reformat. No point in repairing a bad fresh install. This time I will obtain all of the MS updates before downloading the IBM drivers.

Thanks for the suggestions