Athlon 64 Processors

hougtimo

Hi,

My mum has just bought a new buisness PC, which I have some questions regarding the processor.

specs:

Athlon 64 (i forget wich model number)

1GB DDR2 RAM

939 Asus NF4 Board

256 mb ATI raedon (PCI-e)

160gb S-ata hdd.

It is a very nice machine, but... I was suprised to discover that the processor has a clock speed of 1900mhz. Now I know that AMD model numbers do not correspond to the clock speed (as i run an athlon XP) but, it was quite a high-end processor we went for (something like a 3800 i think). Now my athlon XP runs at the same clock speed as the 64, (in every other respect my machine is relaively the same, regarding vid card, ram (although its ddr400) etc..., but there is a HUGE difference in speed between mine and my mum's. Mum's also out strips (by MILES...) OUR p4 3.2 GHZ machine with a gig of ram also. Now do the athlon 64s actually run quicker than system properties / everest / tuneup utilities suggest? or is it simply the difference in speed between 64 bit and 32 bit? (it is running XP Pro 32 bit).

thanks

HougTimo

The clock speed is not the only determining factor of speed. How many instructions it can execute per clock (or how many clocks it takes to execute an instruction) makes a big difference. AMDs have lower clocks/instruction and higher instructions/clock. The newer ones are similarly better than the older models.

besides the cpu itself being faster. other things also come into play.

ram speeds. (examaple pc 2700 to pc 4400 or 133 to 266mhz comparsion)

motherboard chipset, or front bus speed in relation ship to cpu and ram improvements

video card connection types (agp to pci-E)

hard drive (pata or ata compared to new sata)

in laman terms. over all improvements in technology within the computer can have dramatic speed improvements comparing older technolgy. make it hardware baser, software base, driver base, firmwares.

Agreed. I heard socket M is going to use DDR3, the nextgen, and skipping DDR2 alltogether (essentially what Intel did to AMD with DDR2, even though DDR2 still performs crappier than DDR b/c of the horriffic 5-9-9-18 timings or whatever tr@mp looseness they have, IMHO).

well for amd the ram doesnt matter that much, there have been tests done and the only thing that rly matters is how fast the cpu is. the test for the ram was high bandwith and loose timings vs low bandwith and tight timings. both gave vry similar results.

a 3800 should be running faster than 1.9Ghz.

A 3800 venice is 200*12 = 2.4Ghz respective.

The speed difference has nothing to do with 64bit extensions, the extra registers etc will not even be in use if your running a 32bit operating system on the machine.

The difference is the architecture of the chip, the A64 chips with their on-die memory controller gives a massive boost.

PCI-E offers no advantages speed wise to AGP when talking about graphics cards because the AGP bus has not yet been saturated. PCI-E for me comes into play when you need a high bandwidth bus for high bandwidth components, such as a high speed raid array/ SCSI setup to work at its best which PCI will choke.