Black screen after xp splash screen

heathuff

Hi all, I slipstreamed all the windows updates via hfslip but I have a problem; everything goes fine as far as installing windows and the gui install, but after the gui setup completes and the system restarts, I see the Windows XP splash screen like normal, then it fades to black and all I get is a black screen-anyone have any ideas? It should start installing my programs from my runonceex but all I get is a black screen; my unattend disk worked fine until I tried slipping the updates-I hope someone can help-thanks

How did you install the programs last time with your unattend disk? How did you incorporate your runonceex previously? It appears that your system was functional because you were able to post your wu.txt file.

I made a disk a few months ago with sp2 slipstreamed, added my apps, created my runonce which installed my apps, but i did not have the updates slipstreamed, thats when i started making my new disk with my current apps and i tried slipstreaming the updates using the hfslip method-I hope this answers your question

oh, sorry :) ok, my runonceex.cmd file is in my $OEM$ folder which is started by the cmdlines.txt files (which also resides in the $OEM$ folder, my install programs are in the c:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\apps folder-hope this helps-and i appreciate your assistance

Did you place your $OEM$ folder alongside your SOURCE\i386 folder? Are you replacing your winnt.sif file in the FIX folder? Or is the correct winnt.sif file in your sourcess\i386 folder? After running hfslip, is your $oem$ folder alongside the sourcess\i386 folder? Just to verify functionality of your folder and file structure, have you made an ISO of your SOURCE folder to see if your unattend works? The reason I ask is because I have an installation that is totally silent and it's lauched via cmdlines and the $oem$ folder structure. For me, the SOURCE iso and the SOURCESS iso both install fine.

FYI, hfslip doesn't alter any files in the OEM folder.

my $OEM$ folder is alongside the i386 folder, now one thing I did not do is put the winnt.sif file in the fix folder, i left it in the i386 folder, I created the iso and installed it on a virtual machine like i always do, and thats when the problem starts, is it because i left my winnt.sif file in the i386 folder? should i remove the winnt.sif from the i386 folder and move it to the fix folder then run the script again? Thats the only thing I can think of. If it helps, before I did anything with the hfslip I was able to make my unattend disk with no problem, so before doing the hfslip process, I made an exact backup of my c:\xpcd folder (so now i have 2 xpcd folders) I made an iso of both BEFORE trying the hfslip and both installed fine, then i did the hfslip on one of the xpcd's and it doesnt work (but I still have my original xpcd backup which i tested again and works fine) Sorry this is so long and I hope it helps :)

HFSLIP doesn't modify winnt.sif and HFSLIP doesn't alter or create any files in the OEM folder. So you do not need to alter or move your winnt.sif file to the fix folder. I have a similar setup here with the OEM folders and it's running fine, so it looks like the prob is on your side. Are you sure that your unattended files and folders are functional? I mean, have you created an ISO from the SOURCE folder to verify if it works? I know that you have had a successful installation with your XPCD folder before, but please verify your SOURCE folder works. If it helps, please see step 13 of http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html to see how the OEM folder should be. Also, a stupid comment, you need to install by a CD if your OEM structure is like that, and your winnt.sif file needs the correct switches so the files get copied over during the file copy stage.