Creative X-Fi Software installation?

Powerhouse

Two questions for anyone out there who has an X-fi soundcard...

1. What is the Registry key to enable 5.1 Speakers with an X-Fi installed (was able to do this with the integrated nVidia Soundstorm Drivers)?

2. How do you install the Console (for Entertainment, Audio Creation, and Game Modes), as well as the Speaker connection wizard?

I know where the software is on the CD for these applications...

Audio\EntCntr

Audio\EntMode

Audio\GameMode

Audio\SpkWiz

Although each folder has it's own setup.exe file, when I try to run them, I get an InstallShield Wizard error (-6003 if that matters to anyone). The only way I've found to install these programs is through the actual Setup (Audio\Setup), where you need to select what you want installed. Any help would be very much appreciated... :yes:

I think the unattended installation of the X-Fi Software is very hard to do. I just install the driver itself via Dirvers from CD method and then install the Creative Audio Console. Both taken from the website.

• 5 weeks later...

So has anyone using the latest Driver Packs, actually gotten the Creative X-Fi Drivers to work once you have your Unattended installed?

I've used the latest Driverpacks (6.01) that contain the latest official Creative Drivers for the X-Fi (2.07.004) and still get the Yellow Exclamation symbol in Device Manager (this on two different systems, one an ASUS A8NSLI - Premium, the other an Abit AN8-SLI). Once in Windows, if I reinstall the same driver (2.07.004), the system reboots, and then the sound works.

I'm asking, cause basically, if these don't work Unattended, there is no point for Bashrat to include them in his packs.

I was the one to originally request the X-Fi drivers inclusion in October, but I never had the chance to test it. :(

The Story: (for those with the time to read it)

I requisitioned the parts from newegg and assembled my new gaming system in September:

• Thermaltake Tsunami Dream chassis
  • SilverStone Zeus ST65ZF 650W power supply
  • ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard (BIOS v1006)
  • AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+ processor
  • Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED CPU heatsink
  • Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PRO RAMstick pair (x2 for 4GB at DDR400, 2-3-3-6 2T)
  • BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256MB PCI-e video card (x2 in SLI)
  • Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS sound card
  • Pioneer DVR-110DBK DVD±RW Burner
  • Sabrent 42-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer
  • ViewSonic G220fb 21" PerfectFlat CRT monitor
  • I-Star iStorm7 hard drive rack
  • Western Digital Raptor WD740GD hard drive (x2 in RAID1 on nvRAID for 74GB of redundant storage for Windows)
  • Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 hard drive (x4 in RAID5 on SiI3114 for 1.5TB of redundant miscellaneous storage)

The only thing I didn't receive was the X-Fi because it wasn't available yet. Using only the most recent DriverPacks available as of September 20th, Windows installed on the system flawlessly. Windows on the RAID1 array, no missed drivers or conflicts, Method 2, no KtD.

I reordered, received, and requested DriverPacks support for the X-Fi in October. I installed the X-Fi as per its included instructions from CD and it worked fine. After a couple hours of continuous use I began to hear severe noise in the signal through the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 setup I use. Removed and reinstalled the drivers using all default settings with the same result. Creative had not released an updated driver; the card had just been released a week or two before.

I removed the card and drivers from my system and reenabled the on-board sound. The system and sound work flawlessly as before so I tried the X-Fi again only to be disappointed immediately by the same noise.

I have updated the BIOS and various drivers since September, but haven't reinstalled Windows or tried using the card again. Eventually I may do so, but this is the system I use daily. Before I try reinstalling Windows with the X-Fi supported in the DriverPacks I'd like to have the card working correctly when installed from within Windows. I realize that Creative has now released an updated driver, but I haven't made the time to try it.