[Help] - 'cannot find operating system'...

izza

my 4 month old laptop overheated ( i think ) the hardrive is making a noise i can only describe as a rusty fan and i found it turned off... its loading past the fujitsu intro screen then showing 'operating system cannont be found'. Now...the cd drive is also on the blink and seldom reads cds however the one or 2 times its picked up the seimans XP disc it freezes at kernel bug something DLL. it also loaded once or twice to the screen where u choose safe mode etc and showed me the blue screen after the windows XP load screen on safe mode, normal mode and last known good config.... id rather not hand it back to pc world yet as i use it every day for my business.... i have a 512mb flash drive and no floppy drive, aswell as the desktop tower im on right now.... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Does your XP CD function in another computer? If you're hard drive is making a "rusty fan" noise, the head is probably or has probably scratching/ed the HD's cylinders. As for the CD-ROM drive, I have no idea. My advice would be to give it a few days of rest and see what happens after that. If it doesn't work and you still have a warranty, I would send it back...

Anyone else think the HD's fried? :}

I've heard clicky sound on my sony from hdd, i was almost sure that hdd was dying. PC BSODed after POST, I gave it last chance and reformatted whole hdd and made new partitions from scratch. Right now it runs ok, but hdd clicks or reboots itself from time to time.

I've also seen pc always booting to blank screen, unplugging all ide and sata cables + clearing cmos always worked for me. Maybe you can take apart your laptop?

Edited by Kamil

the cd was fresh out the packet never used, how can i retrieve data if i cant even boot into windows? il giv it rest but the last thing i want is to hand it back.... iv heard sum horror stories and ALL my work is on it with very little backed up (yes yes i know please say nothing) :( im a music producer and like....all....my work is on there.

Attempting to boot from a dying HDD will only exacerbate the situation.

It is recommended to physically remove the HDD from the machine and attach it to another machine to copy the files from it.

Attempting to boot from a dying HDD will only exacerbate the situation.

It is recommended to physically remove the HDD from the machine and attach it to another machine to copy the files from it.

what he said. since you obviously have a desktop, get yourself a 44-pin>40-pin adapter and hook it up to the desktop. that's your safest, and easiest bet to getting your stuff back.

give me a sec and I'll find you one. I'm a big fan of producers (deep dish and paul van dyk are literally win :thumbup), and to see/hear about a producer losing all their work sucks hard

edit:

adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16812205001 - I like this one. it looks strong, comes with the 44-pin->40-pin adapter you need, and is actually pretty handy. if you play around with hdds and cd drives, you'll find out just how useful it really is.

and, to give you a little head-start on drive shopping, I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822146043

I trust hitachi drives, almost as much as I trust seagate, but seagates are expensive...even though you could probably boot from it after dropping it from 8 feet up :P I have a really old 2gb hitachi in my old deskpro 5000 and it's still running perfectly. :D

a little expensive, but from that 8mb cache I see in its specs, you'll thank yourself for shelling out the extra cash :)

and last time I checked, hdd upgrades don't void your warranty so... >.>

as for your cd drive, I can't really help you there. it sounds dead too, but I'd try to get that replaced under warranty.

whatever you do, do NOT send your laptop back to the manufacturer until you have all your data backed up. all they do is replace the drive with (probably) the same cheap-a** drive that's in it now, toss an oem image on it, and throw the old one away.

hope I've been of some help to you

Edited by anoxan

I've heard clicky sound on my sony from hdd, i was almost sure that hdd was dying. PC BSODed after POST, I gave it last chance and reformatted whole hdd and made new partitions from scratch. Right now it runs ok, but hdd clicks or reboots itself from time to time.

i would guess that the drive is going to fail.

i had the same thing happen and i read up on it; the 'clicking' is the heads banging off the case.

thats certainly helpful thanks but it all seems like a complete task, is there no way at all in copying the C: drive contents directly across the wireless network? i have it booted right into windows with 'safe mode with networking' and its waiting on a prompt....

yes, there is!

i'm not sure where i saw the s/w, but try http://www.sysinternals.com/

excellent! problem is....i know music software like the back of my hand, and i can fix the odd problem with regular computer issues but this is way over my head....the most command stuff iv dun is CMD from run and then like ipconfig! :} i have not got the first clue what im looking for on this site or how to use it when i find it... :( all help is extremely appreciated my work is my life.... ( i know, im useless lol )

found it here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RemoteRecover.html

however it's not free. they also have another similar product, except it works over a serial (null modem) cable.

google around and see what else you can find.

thanks A LOT! i at least know what im looking for software wise now...im taking the laptop to a friend in the know's house 2nite so he can use his USB cd drive to attemt to boot my xp disc since my drive is dead. if that fails i will get hold of that program....il keep u posted and thanks again