[Question] - change boot.ini location

ripken204

i have 2 intallations of windows and i want to get rid of the once on the c: drive which contatains the boot.ini file. i only want to use my d: drive which has windows on it. how will i be able to boot off of my d: drive instead of the c: ?

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

• 5 weeks later...
If I remember correctly, you should make the D: partition active through PDISK and put the boot.ini file on that disk.. :unsure:

You also need ntldr and ntdetect.com, as well as ntbootdd.sys if you have a SCSI (or anything that looks like SCSI to Windows, including most ATA/SATA RAID controllers) boot disk.

You may also need to alter boot.ini to reflect any changes to the partition/disk order on the box.

Is it a logical drive or physical drive?

If you just want to relocate the boot.ini and the rest of the bootfiles to a different partition on the boot drive, just set the other partition as active and place the bootfiles there.

If it's a physical drive, change the BIOS settings to boot from it, and place the bootfiles there. Note that D will now be C and C will now be D (on some BIOSes; others leave the drive orders unchanged at the risk of incompatibilities with other OSs that don't like to boot from a drive other than the first - Windows XP not being one of them).