[Help] - Strange IE6 temp internet files problem

pmcx9

i tried firefox and opera recently. didnt like them so uninstalled and went back to IE6. this may contribute to my problem as outlined below.

since then i have noticed that i cannot lauch a webpage link from within an email and i noticed that when i try to open or run a download from ie6 as opposed to "save to location" first then an error occurs as though the temporary internet files folder is missing or has a problem.

to try and correct

I have right clicked on the ie.enf in windows\inf and selected install

i have closed ZAP and symantecAV

I have used purgeIE

I have moved location of temp internet files within tools>options of IE6

Any help appreciated.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

solved the outlook express problem. reassociated htm and html files with ie and also ticked "check if ie is default browser" in ie6 options

my specific problem with ie6 is this;

i download using newsgroups. i use www.newzbin.com to give me an nzb file but i have always just selected open before and it loads into grabit. now i have to save it and then run the nzb file to get grabit to batch the file.

it takes ages to open from scratch.

sometimes you can see the webpage being constructed as it loads which i didnt like.

i wanted to change the layout of the menus and bars which i can do in seconds on ie6 but it wasnt obvious how to do it in firefox.

i have used ie since day one and just like the "feel"

I'm currently using Firefox and things you mentioned are correct 'bout Firefox, but I'm still satisfied with it..

Although I must admit that I saw new IE 7 in Windows Vista beta and I like it a lot...

I'm almost sure that when Windows Vista will be officially released, I'll go back 2 the roots and use IE again ;)

i hate to see someone try to make the switch and end up frustrated. i did the same thing when i first tried FF - i went right back to IE. then i got tired of security updates and the hidden cache directories that can't be easily deleted and having to run 2 or 3 third-party apps to control adware/spyware/scripts/activeX, etc., etc., etc..

i'll take a stab at trying to help you out...

it takes ages to open from scratch.

sometimes you can see the webpage being constructed as it loads which i didnt like.

i wanted to change the layout of the menus and bars which i can do in seconds on ie6 but it wasnt obvious how to do it in firefox.

i have used ie since day one and just like the "feel"

IE loads fast only because components are preloaded in memory during windows boot. if you want, you can do the same with FF a couple of ways. the harder way is to create a RAM disk. the easy way is to install Firefox Preloader. yet another way is to install a custom build. these are optimized, 3rd party builds. the moox builds are very popular, though this website is down for the time being.

i'm not sure what you mean by being able to see a webpage being constructed as it loads. perhaps this was due to a bandwidth problem between you and the server. FF renders pages fast and if you want to tweak it further all the options are there, like pipelining, max requests, etc., etc.. a lot of options can be accessed by typing "about:config" in the address bar. there's also an extension that sets a lot of options via a simple GUI. it's Fasterfox. (note to all that use this extension: Fasterfox sets 'nglayout.initialpaint.delay' (Initial Paint Dely in the GUI) to '0' and i don't agree with that. should be set to 250+ depending on bandwidth).

changing the menu/tool bars is a snap! configurability is where FF really, really shines! just like in IE, R-click a toolbar > customize. you can drag and drop almost anything, anywhere. here's a screenshot of some of FF's capabilities.

by default, FF is pretty slim and doesn't offer many 'toys'. this is one of the reasons i like it so much - you build it to fit YOU. there are a ton of excellent extensions that add functionality to FF. see the following for a taste:

https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/

here's some extensions i would highly recommend to new FF users:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater

Adblock Plus

All-In-One Sidebar

Googlebar Lite

NoScript

Permit Cookies

Tab Mix Plus

Edited by atomizer