Microsoft Autoroute 2006 / Street and Trips 2006 Silent at T13 (workin

jonscaife

I couldn't get Autoroute 2006 to install silently like AutoRoute 2005 because of an error about system restore. The solution is to edit data.msi and change an entry. The full procedure for making Autoroute / Street and Trips install silently is detailed below.

Insert the first CD and run "d:\setup_ar.exe /a" (where d is your cd drive letter)

follow the wizard thru, and when prompted insert the second CD.

copy the directory (C:\Autorte in my case) to your xpcd folder where you keep the software to be installed

edit the Setup_Ar.ini file so that the 2 entries in the [Display] section (lines 44 and 45) are Display=None and CompletionNotice=No

They shouldn't be commented with a ; at the start of the line

Download "orca" and open autorte\msmap\data.msi with it

Use search to search for "WM9Codecs_EXE (its in the "CustomAction" section)

Edit the value in the "target" field from "/Q:A /R:N" to "/Q:A /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

Save data.msi

Run the setup program without any switches

I also nuke all reference to the Location Finder utility from the .msi file. You end up saving a little space too since, in Streets & Trips anyway, it not only installs that little utility, but also a database file that weighs in around 60MB.

do you think either of you could show me a little bit more of a step by step example of how to create a silent install for this. i'm wanting to do what both of you said but i've never messed around with editing an msi before. also does the code that jonscaife talked about make it install of of the map data too or once installed would you still need to have the 2nd cd in?

thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
do you think either of you could show me a little bit more of a step by step example of how to create a silent install for this. i'm wanting to do what both of you said but i've never messed around with editing an msi before. also does the code that jonscaife talked about make it install of of the map data too or once installed would you still need to have the 2nd cd in?

thanks guys.

My original post is pretty simple to follow. Don't be afraid to try it, you can't harm anything if you've got the autoroute setup files on a CD already - coz you can always recopy them from the CD if you break one.

To make it install the datafiles from CD2 you need to either edit a different part of the MSI, or create a transform (mst file). To create transforms you'll need something like Installshield Pro

I would be very happy to upload my MST, but i'll have to check that i'm not violating any terms and conditions of this site first...

Since there is no serial number or other type of copy protection involved with this title, the .MST file would not enable anybody to bypass any sort of copy protection mechanism (since there isn't any). Uploading it would be no different than the posting of an AutoIt script that would facilitate an automated installation.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've attached my transform file.

I've also got a bit more info to add. Doing the above will install autoroute but will not do a complete install - it won't install the data disk. Its also easier to use a transform file than to edit the MSI with orca, so i've restored the msi to its original state. Trying to run setup with the setup_ar.exe at T-13 has all sorts of weird problems, and also a shortcut often doesn't seem to be created. The method below will install at T-13 without errors, will create a shortcut, and will copy the full data files

So - the new, and complete guide....

• Insert the first autorun CD, go to start:run and type "x:\setup_ar.exe /a" (where x is your CD-ROM drive letter)
  • Follow the instructions and when prompted choose to install to "C:\Autoroute2006" (if you install elsewhere you need to use a different path in some later parts of these instructions)
  • when prompted, insert disk 2
  • copy C:\Autoroute2006 (this may be different if you picked a different location in part 2) to your unattended CD path
  • copy the attached transform file (.mst) to the Autoroute2006\autorte\msmap folder
  • Run setup with the command "msiexec /i AutoRoute2006\autorte\msmap\data.msi TRANSFORMS=AutoRoute2006\autorte\msmap\data.mst ALLUSERS=1 /qn

Advanced info - For those who wish to use this on a previous version, on Street and Trips, or on MapPoint - the mst file does 3 things which you can do with your own mst (if you have installshield) or by editing the MSI file...

• In the "CustomAction" part of the MSI table it changes WMCodecs_Installation value from "/Q:A /R:N" to "/Q:A /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"
  • In the "Media" part of the MSI table it changes disk 2 value from 77 to 81
  • Changes the "complete" setup feature from not installed to installed. An alternative to setting this in the transform is to use the commandline option INSTALLLEVEL=500 when setup is run

These 3 steps...

1. prevent a disabled system restore error from the windows media stuff that is installed.

2. tell setup that all of the files are on 1 disk so avoiding an error about the run disk not being in the drive

3. tell setup to do a full installation including the data from the run disk

Notes:

You might have to change some paths, particularly in the command thats run - depending on where your files are located. I run my setup with wihu, and the command I use is

msiexec /i software\AutoRoute2006\autorte\msmap\data.msi TRANSFORMS=%INIDIR%\software\AutoRoute2006\autorte\MSMap\data.mst ALLUSERS=1 /qn

data.mst