Wanted: Solution to removing IE core

Indie

due to the high interest in my software, I have decided to make a site.

you have to realize that the deleted edition is still under development, but it is already a working version.

obviously I have no rights to publish microsuck material, but I can give instructions on how to use the original microsuck material.

my site is under construction, for the moment I am still placing things into it, but you can already find the drivers, and I will add the deleted edition into the list as well.

manoa.ath.cx

Edited by monohouse

Same here.

Just one site for your site : please don't forget to use line feeds. :lol:

And for your scripts, you should use variables imho. I mean you always use absolute path, replace absolute paths with variables that are defined at the beginning of your scripts or somewhere else. Thus if you need to change a path you only have to do it in one place. ;)

And last, why not use something like AutoHotKey or AutoIt ? :w00t:

Anyway, congrats. :)

the dude didn't have time to work on the syte I think.

there are variables in his scripts, %1, %2, %3 check in the top of the file, the directories are selected at run time.

what is AutoHotKey and AutoIt ?

Autohotkey and autoit are scripting languages. Very easy to learn. My preference goes to AHK since it's open source but they are just the sames. They allow window (send keystrokes, mouse clicks), string, file manipulations...

Just google them. ;)

@indie

there is an easy solution to that problem:

put the site to which it tries to connect in the host file in \system32\drivers\etc

afair it was steampowered.com (or just look at the message that prompts)

127.0.0.1 steampowered.com

@monohouse

from my point of view this is very similiar to an article of sysinternals, there it is described how to kill many processes with their process explorer

can't see anything new + huge! loss of functionality

what functionality ?

how come I did not loose any functionality ?

that part from sysinternals is not necessarilly to be run, only if you choose to, obviously you should only do that if it suits you, however, the deleted edition is about to have a working winblows xp version at minimum amount of space, it has the same functionality, obviously for those that choose to use the sysinternals idea in ADDITION to the deleted edition's basic deletion scripts (which have nothing to do with sysinternals), then it's all welcome for more efficiency.

the deleted edition turns a ~300 MB winblows xp (build 0) (nLite all components removed) into a < 100 MB (for now).

the addition of deleted driver versions for video cards, and pre-deleted drivers for other components make it even better.

granted, this is not linux, there is an optimized linux version already, but I have yet to see a winblows xp version which is less than 100 MB in size (on disk after installation, not compressed), and I have yet to see a winblows xp version which does not create files of it's own, files like inf caches, reinstallbackups, last known good backups....

I don't see what functionality was lost here, the obvious loss of functionality from killing the winblows xp processes only occurs if imho you kill the processes.

everyone please keep in mind this is an ALPHA version, that means it is not yet designed to run without examining the scripts and manually testing FIRST.

however, the drivers for video cards are already tested, and are fully working, the nvidia drivers don't loose any functionality, because you use RivaTuner to control the various driver parameters, and the ATI driver parameters have registry entries which have been provided on the site, there is no need for programs when you can change registry, remember Deleted Edition is a 1337 thing, anyone 1337 enough will be able to get his functionality back if he lost something important because of Deleted Edition (and you might want to start with Comrade's signature).

can those Auto things run in real DOS mode ?

Edited by monohouse

@monohouse

props for your great work. im running the ati diet drivers from your site. it works just fine.

could you recommend any methods of running the batch file scripts on a windows drive running ntfs?

I don't see what functionality was lost here, the obvious loss of functionality from killing the winblows xp processes only occurs if imho you kill the processes.

I experimented a bit on my computer. For example killink lsass.exe prevents me from closing my session. Do you mean you don't have this problem ?

I recommend NOT to use ntfs filesystem on the boot drive, and unfortunately Deleted Edition does not cover writing to ntfs volumes in real mode DOS (does it work anywhere other than winblows ?) not even Linux can write to ntfs drives, ntfs sucks, use fat16 on your boot drive C and make sure it's size is less than 2 GB (you don't need any more than that for your boot drive anyway). fat16 is fastest of all winblows filesystems, especially with a 64K cluster size.

yes it is very likely that if you kill winlogon.exe and lsass.exe you will not be able to :

1. use CTRL+ALT+DELETE menu

2. be able to use winblows' shutdown/restart (maybe standby too)

3. possibly loose the ability to copy text from firefox

but think for a moment, what do you do when you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE ? what do you need it for ?

for me the answer is simple, when there is no other task manager can be run, you can try to use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get the winblows task manager, but we already have a much better task manager so we don't need it.

what is special about winblows' shutdown/restart ? nothing, the only thing that matters is to make sure that cached hard disk data gets written to disk and not get lost, that is easily accomplished with Sysinternals's Sync, it's on their site, you can find it.

you have no problem to shutdown/restart with your buttons as long as you run Sync first, so all you have to do is run Sync and press the shutdown/restart buttons.

im afraid that the only way to support ntfs, is to get writing support for ntfs under DOS.

Edited by monohouse

NTFS has much better performance than FAT and FAT32.

And Linux can in fact write to NTFS. The patch is in the mainline kernel, you just have to enable it. It is quite stable.

I'd still prefer something like EXT3 or Reiser4, but Windows is not about to run on those anytime soon.