omg messup hard drive

i dont know about sound buy this morning when my com was turn on the letter d drive was missing so i keep on rebooting and stuff but then when it appear i cant do anything with it. when i scan disk it usually say for this to happen i need to reboot bt it didnt so i can scan disk when i try to defrag it says disk defragmenter cannot run on this volume type and when i try to format it says format was unable to compleate what should i do i have some stuff in that drive that i cannot get back. is there anything i can do plez help

did you upgrade or change your file system from fat/fat32 to NTFS?

What type of drive is this? Make and model please

Open your case up and make sure the IDE cables are connected tightly to both the HD and MB. Also try to replace the cable with a new IDE cable.

How long have you had it running? Any new changes to your system lately.

All the question will help us out, to help you out, so please answer the best you can

I've had a similar problem with one of my drives thats formatted in one piece, my 40gig Maxtor did it allot, it would dissapear leaving the drive letters of the other hd's the same and once in a while when it came up it wouldn't allow me to acces it or defrag it, to fix this I would re-format the whole hard drive (full format not quick) then re-install windows and start filling up, see if it happens again, I've had this about 4times now and did the same thing each time but now I haven't had it for about 3-4 months.. Also, tell us if you see it listed when you boot up..

Hope this helps any..

anybodu have any ideas i just fin trying the wester ditial tools that is up on their site and still on go...

read my post above yours and reply to my questions. Cant help if you odnt tell us the trouble :)

YES i see it when i boot up ill wait one day be4 i format it completely, for any chance that some one can tell me how to fix this problem thanks anyway. when i boot up i see both of my drives but somehow i cant access the files in it no more when i double click on it it says disk d isnt formated do youw want to format now when i click yes it format regularly but after a while it says disk d was unable to format..

is there any way to fix this??

it works now but.. really sad that i lost some important files..

well maybe if you answered some question you might have got some help............

did you upgrade or change your file system from fat/fat32 to NTFS?

What type of drive is this? Make and model please

Open your case up and make sure the IDE cables are connected tightly to both the HD and MB. Also try to replace the cable with a new IDE cable.

How long have you had it running? Any new changes to your system lately.

All the question will help us out, to help you out, so please answer the best you can

:):rolleyes: oh well