[Question] - Defrag local disk without Admin rights

D8TA

I've seen a program that will allow any user to run a defrag on their local disk but now I cannot find it. This was a freebe that created a service in Windows which allowed Power Users to defrag their disk.

As of now majority of our users are only Power Users and are unable to perform a simple defrag. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could either push out a scheduled task to defrag the drives at will on any given night or allow the Power Users to defrag the drive themselves? I am still Googling trying to find that service that allows Power Users to defrag but any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. These PCs are in a corporate environment no connected to any domain.

Thanks!

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Diskeeper 10 with the Diskeeper 10 Admin tool is very nice. You can use it in a Workgroup environment (provided you have a common admin account/password on all of the workstations) but it works best in a Domain environment. It even offers reporting features so you can see what machines are running low on drive space (percentage is configurable), if a scheduled defrag failed for any reason, and a few other things.

Even without the Admin tool you can still schedule defrags. I have all of my DK clients set to defrag while the screensaver is on and also on the weekends. To do it without the Admin tool is a little more work but can be done. Basically you just set the schedule on one machine. Then copy Diskeep.ctl from %PROGRAMFILES%\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper. Then export the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\Preferences registry key. From there all you have to do is copy the file and import the registry key after you install Diskeeper.

Diskeeper 10 with the Diskeeper 10 Admin tool is very nice. You can use it in a Workgroup environment (provided you have a common admin account/password on all of the workstations) but it works best in a Domain environment. It even offers reporting features so you can see what machines are running low on drive space (percentage is configurable), if a scheduled defrag failed for any reason, and a few other things.

I second that, its got great scheduling features, runs neatly on workstations and the job is much faster.