Hello all, some question about this project

Dels

hello all win2k user,

i'm one of the win2k user that trying to find a best and suitable service pack for my win2k, and while i surf on softpedia i looked the best rated for this software (even better than sp4 by M$ self) and just some quick question for the maker of this unofficial service pack 5

1. the size of file is over 200mb (almost twice bigger than official sp4), the problem is if there any new version of this sp pack i have download a whole pack just to get updates, is there any other system like update for sp or roll-up version (just like M$ did) so i don't have to download a whole bunch of over 200mb (i have slow connection here, only 128kbps)

2. basic edition and extreme edition, what should i wait for? and what the different between basic and extreme? is there any patch or update for basic so it can update to extreme edition version?

3. is there any choice of what we can install in the software installation? cause some of user might think some of the file/system don't need to update (for example : i just use my pc for surf and college work so i dont need any improvement for ISS and web server related apps)

thanks for creating this amazing pack i hope this pack clean as softpedia suggest it :D

PS : sorry for my bad english

oh yeah just forgot some BIG question here :

4. is this sp pack will same as sp4 in compability (or maybe higher)? i need some software that must installed atleast on sp3 i very worried if that software can't installed on this sp pack because this pack doesn't read as sp4 or better (this is why i get around net and searching for best sp pack out there)

1. the size of file is over 200mb (almost twice bigger than official sp4), the problem is if there any new version of this sp pack i have download a whole pack just to get updates, is there any other system like update for sp or roll-up version (just like M$ did) so i don't have to download a whole bunch of over 200mb (i have slow connection here, only 128kbps)

Yes, I'm afraid there's no way around this massive download. The irony in this is, that in order to make the slipstreamed w2k image as small as possible I need to include more files. For example I include a rebuilt and optimized DRIVER.CAB and a rebuilt and optimized SP4.CAB - only because I cannot change DRVINDEX.INF as Microsoft would have done, because this breaks the digital signature on the .INF. However, once you integrate USP 5 into your dsitribution share or CD image you will benefit from the fact that the integrated image is actually several megabytes _smaller_ than an integrated SP4 image, which is _because_ it now contains my optimized DRIVER.CAB and SP4.CAB. This leaves more space on the HD as well, even if you just make a regular install of USP5.

But lately I've considered to release a Rollup too - however this will NOT integrate - and I'll block the /integrate option entirely if I choose to release this.

2. basic edition and extreme edition, what should i wait for? and what the different between basic and extreme? is there any patch or update for basic so it can update to extreme edition version?
USP 5.1 (formerly known as Basic Edition) is already done. You can dl it from Will's place (click my signature to get there) or from SoftPedia and soon from MajorGeeks as well I hope. USP 5.1 (formerly Basic) "only" integrates components from the 'Critical Updates' section on 'Microsoft Update' or 'Windows Update'. Also it includes some non-publicly available IE6 fixes. The advantages of downloading USP 5.1 - compared to installing USP 5.0 and then visiting 'Windows Update' to get the critical updates - are, that your total amount of downloaded bytes will be smaller (USP 5.0 + WU > USP 5.1), IE6 will effectively replace IE501 if you integrate USP 5.1 (and likewise will the other components included), and whether or not you do an integrated install you will save space on your HD and in the registry.
3. is there any choice of what we can install in the software installation? cause some of user might think some of the file/system don't need to update (for example : i just use my pc for surf and college work so i dont need any improvement for ISS and web server related apps)

Very few "new" files have been introduced in USP 5.x compared to SP4. To the best of my recollection all IIS updates and fixes resulted in never versions of files which were included in SP4 anyway. No extra IIS files will be installed, unless you install IIS from the Add/Remove Programs - USP's generally behave like ordinary MS SP's.

4. is this sp pack will same as sp4 in compability (or maybe higher)? i need some software that must installed atleast on sp3 i very worried if that software can't installed on this sp pack because this pack doesn't read as sp4 or better (this is why i get around net and searching for best sp pack out there)
For compatibility the service pack level is kept at SP4. I have even fixed the registry bugs that MS allowed in SP4.
PS : sorry for my bad english

No problem :)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Hello,

I have been following your work for a while- thanks for doing it.

I have a few questions on the new USP5.1. I slipstreamed USP5.1 to a vanilla W2K CD image and did a clean install with the resulting SP5. Since I was doing a basic installation, I was expecting that IE6 would have been somehow included in the W2KSP5 image, but it was not. The original IE5 from the original W2K CD was installed, so I had to install IE6SP1 separately, which means that I did not get the IE patches which I thought would be included.

So # 1- is there a way to get a patched IE6 included in the W2KSP5 image instead of IE5?

#2- my installation of IE6 on top of the IE5 seems to have broken Outlook Express. It refuses to start and gives constant error message of "Msimn has generated errors and will be closed by Windows". This error is supposedly caused by read-only DBX files or a damaged Identities key in the registry. Neither of these should have occured in a clean install, so what is happening- is this related to using USP5.1?

Thanks for your help.

@Gurgelmeyer

thanks for the fast support, i just hoping there will be roll-up version or other in next future :D

@vernz

i think Gurgelmeyer will add IE6 in extreme edition of USP5.1 :D and maybe dx9 or other new component

A fully patched and "hotfixed" Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 with Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 1 and Windows Address Book 6 and Microsoft Script Engines 5.6 and Microsoft Installer 3.1 version 2 and Background Intelligent Transfers version 2.0 and all security patches including those from December 2005 are ALREADY IN THE EXISTING USP 5.1, WHICH IS FINAL AND AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC DOWNLOAD :lol: So just hook up your modem and start the download - I know it takes almost 2 days, but trust me, if I didn't already have this USP and I was stuck with a 56k modem I would definately download it myself no matter how long it took :yes: And I would still prefer the full package rather than rollups. When I downloaded W2k SP1, SP2, SRP1, SP3, and SP4 I was in fact on a 56k modem myself - and I survived, although my girlfriend at the time was pretty annoyed because she couldn't call me three times a day on the phone to let me know how she was doing :P

USP 5.2 - which was proviously referred to as the USP 5.1 Standard Edition project - will add MDAC 2.8 SP1, DX9c and WMP9 and - when I figure out how to - .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 and whatever is left on WU. It wont be ready for another month at least.

USP 5.5 / USP Extreme will add all the extras which are not on WU, such as the Remote Desktop client, TweakUI 1.33, etc.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Gurgelmeyer

I just re-downloaded the USP5.1 version. It appears to be the same thing that was downloaded Dec 29. How do I get access to the IE6? Should the USP IE6 update the IE5 that comes on W2K when I slipstream? If yes, how do I do that?

Edited by vernz

have you checked correctly because there are (if im not mistaking 2 downloadable versions on softpedia for example - befor you start downloading check twice if your downloading the usp51.zip (hope the name is right, - been a will since i downloaded it) LOL

IE6.1 is already included in the usp51.zip download, and it contains dx7

Dx9 and dotNET 1.1 and 2.0 are (if in not mistaking planned for the 'standard edition'-release of the uSP.5

for a compleate release features list... check THIS POST

Edited by -I-

• 5 months later...

Hi Gurgelmeyer,

What a fluke! I only joined this Forum an hour ago, did a search for - Break IE5 in WIN2K and integrate IE6 SP1 - and I came across your name within seconds.

Subject: WIN2K Pro. SP4

Mshta.exe Error Message Appears When You Start the Add/Remove Programs Tool in Control Panel.

SYMPTOMS:

When you start the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel on a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, the following error message may be displayed:

Mshta.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows

RESOLUTION:

To resolve the behavior, type the following commands in the Run dialog box:

• sfc /purgecache

• sfc /scannow

NOTE: Windows 2000 prompts you to insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM to complete these commands.

If you run these commands and the behavior is not resolved, perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000 Professional.

APPLIES TO:

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

These errors may not have occurred prior to "Windows 2000 SP4", but attempting to do an upgrade using "Windows Update" on "Windows 2000 SP4" simply does not integrate into the system correctly, (although it is supposed to).

As you probably know, IE6SP1 is integrated directly into the Operating System by "Windows Update" and you are given no choice of downloading and installing at a later date.

To get around that problem, I downloaded IE6SP1 using WINME, (I also have XPSP2Pro, running VMware WS 5.5; In download options, can select different Operating System versions, at least M$ gave us that choice.

After installation (of IE6SP1), the Operating System thinks it is IE6SP1, but the "Windows Update website" knows it is actually IE5.

I did after a long attempt, manage to access "Windows Update", but I realised that I would always be stuck with the problem with Internet Explorer.

So I am thinking,

There must be some way of stripping Internet Explorer 5 out of Windows 2000, and it would have to be done before integrating "Service Pack 4 (SP4)" into "Windows 2000 /Windows 2000 Professional", using nLite:http://www.nliteos.com/

Possibly not so much stripping "Internet Explorer V5" out of "Windows 2000", as breaking the installation so it is not installed as V5, which is the default, but as V6.

When "Windows Update" completes installation of "Internet Explorer 6 SP1", "Windows Update" still recognises the version as Version 5 (Five).

Well Gurgelmeyer, I think that is my story well and truly told, (maybe not well), I will have to follow up on this usp51.zip file.

Regards and best wishes,

Jim

You should be able to integrate USP 5.1 and it replace IE 5 with IE6 using nLite. Another option as I had to do because I no longer have virgin media of Windows 2000 is use my nlited source which has IE 5 removed and just add SP5 on top of that.

Hi Gurgelmeyer,

What a fluke! I only joined this Forum an hour ago, did a search for - Break IE5 in WIN2K and integrate IE6 SP1 - and I came across your name within seconds.

Subject: WIN2K Pro. SP4

Mshta.exe Error Message Appears When You Start the Add/Remove Programs Tool in Control Panel.

SYMPTOMS:

When you start the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel on a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, the following error message may be displayed:

Mshta.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows

RESOLUTION:

To resolve the behavior, type the following commands in the Run dialog box:

• sfc /purgecache

• sfc /scannow

NOTE: Windows 2000 prompts you to insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM to complete these commands.

If you run these commands and the behavior is not resolved, perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000 Professional.

APPLIES TO:

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

These errors may not have occurred prior to "Windows 2000 SP4", but attempting to do an upgrade using "Windows Update" on "Windows 2000 SP4" simply does not integrate into the system correctly, (although it is supposed to).

As you probably know, IE6SP1 is integrated directly into the Operating System by "Windows Update" and you are given no choice of downloading and installing at a later date.

To get around that problem, I downloaded IE6SP1 using WINME, (I also have XPSP2Pro, running VMware WS 5.5; In download options, can select different Operating System versions, at least M$ gave us that choice.

After installation (of IE6SP1), the Operating System thinks it is IE6SP1, but the "Windows Update website" knows it is actually IE5.

I did after a long attempt, manage to access "Windows Update", but I realised that I would always be stuck with the problem with Internet Explorer.

So I am thinking,

There must be some way of stripping Internet Explorer 5 out of Windows 2000, and it would have to be done before integrating "Service Pack 4 (SP4)" into "Windows 2000 /Windows 2000 Professional", using nLite:http://www.nliteos.com/

Possibly not so much stripping "Internet Explorer V5" out of "Windows 2000", as breaking the installation so it is not installed as V5, which is the default, but as V6.

When "Windows Update" completes installation of "Internet Explorer 6 SP1", "Windows Update" still recognises the version as Version 5 (Five).

Well Gurgelmeyer, I think that is my story well and truly told, (maybe not well), I will have to follow up on this usp51.zip file.

Regards and best wishes,

Jim

You should be able to integrate USP 5.1 and it replace IE 5 with IE6 using nLite. Another option as I had to do because I no longer have virgin media of Windows 2000 is use my nlited source which has IE 5 removed and just add SP5 on top of that.

You're right. I was able to integrate USP5.1 and replace IE5 with IE6 using nLite.

I DO (still) HAVE my original/bona-fide (not copy)Microsoft Genuine Software, but stuck at the IE5 hurdle because Bill Gates at Micro$oft won't allow me to update/integrate my Original Media. (As long as I/you have a suitable backup of my/your System, which I/you are only allowed to have on your HDD, mixed in with my/ your own Software, expanded from around 300MB to +10GB, then I/you am/are AOK.

What a JOKE!!!!!!

nLite identifies my M$ CDROM Media as: "Windows 2000 Professional - build 0". (Gurgelmeyer may know just what that means).

On install, of USP5.1, there was only one error encountered: Setup cannot copy ACSPECFC.DLL.

Unfortunately, after the first login, I neglected to do a SFC check, and it was not long before I made a mistake of installing ".NET Framework V2.0", (knowing my Matrox Graphics Software required NETFw but not checking the correct version it required, (which is V1.????).

Anyway, I had to start again with a bare System Drive.

(I knew I was being casual, next time, tread slowly, and backup prior to installing Software).

Again, Setup came up with the same (one) error.

This time, on first login, I did run SFC check, five (5) errors (five files it is demanding to replace with original versions), but am informed that I have the incorrect disc inserted (which I don't).

I did check the error count twice, still came to five (errors).

If I can keep the error count (SFC) at only five. I believe I"ll have a very stable system; and if I can't, I have made a Software installation error; nothing to do with the OS (Operating System).

Finally (almost), a comment about nLite: I disabled "Automatic Updates" (Services dialog of nLite (using V1 Final)), but found on first login that "Automatic Updates" was set to Automatic (and Started), just waiting for an Internet Connection.

Check state of "Automatic Updates" on first Login.

Finally, I wish to make a comment about USP5.1, and using USP5.1 as a (genuine/legal) "Microsoft Software" user (before patching/using USP5.1).

Firstly, I believe I am entitled (though not in a legal sense) to do what I have done. It is, (for Micro$oft and for me, a win/win situation). I have (I strongly believe), a much better, more secure System, especially considering the problems M$ has had concerning "Internet Explorer".

Secondly, Micro$oft has won because they do not have to look after my interests for the next four years, the lifecycle of "Windows 2000 SP4" has been shortened by four years, from 2010 (when the lifecycle of W2K ends), to 2006. (I have a very strong sense that Bill Gates is actually pleased with the situation that USP5.1 puts him in.

Cheers to all, :thumbup

One happy (now ex M$, but not ex W2KSP4 (SP5.1)) "Windows 2000 USP5.1" user.

Jim