End of WIHU ?

Bendes

From Google Translator :

Cross after bath, 31 December 2005

Hello dear user of my "Windows installation Helper utilities",

as surely noticed it, I already changed since longer nothing more in this Tool. One in front: It is not to be developed further for private and temporal reasons unfortunately any longer possible for me the Tool . There would be to improve still another quantity, I a whole list with possibilities for improvement and functions had already arranged, among them - when desired many members of the MSFN of forum - among other things the use of XML instead of INI.

There were many people in this Tool was interested and to have helped actively this to improve. Still still so some WIHU seem to use although it several similar projects give, which are to be handled partly simpler. I had therefore try this project on Sourceforge to place over thereby evtl. Developers to find those the project to continue would like. This however rejected... became however not so completely smart from their reason.

Some time ago one could read here something similar. Due to of "objections" on the part of various users however I wanted to then resume the project nevertheless. Since I did not come however to it the project substantially to advance, so that it makes no more sense further in such a way to do than one on it would continue to work. In addition I could do various promises which I in connection with the development of the Tools made for mentioned above reasons not to keep. I apologize for it hereby officially.

In addition it does not make a sense this project in regard to Windows Vista as I had at first planned to touch down new around more overview into the source code to bring and new functions add. This tools run at best still on Windows 2000, however regarding compatibility to Windows XP were developed. Several Windows XP specific functions will not give surely in such a way used those it in Windows Vista. I.e. on Windows Vista one might not at all use this Tool and/or it would not run there.

Naturally nothing speaks against it the Tool further in Windows XP to begin. Up to few well-known a not critical of nose one can use it naturally further, it stop will not be developed further. Also this side remains existing further!

Who would like to continue the project however, this can do nearly without restrictions. The only request which I have is only that the name of the original developer (thus I) is recognizable in the source code as well as Binary. Otherwise the source code is freely available and changeable.

How did it originally come to this project? Approx. 1 year ago there was a report over "Unbeuafsichtige Windowsinstallation" in the computer journal c't. I naturally always wanted this, because I again installed every few days Windows anyway and I did not want each time to sit beside it around the whole data to enter. In this connection: I ask myself which Microsoft during the obligation registration imagine. After 3 time on-line register is my knowledge conclusion. I would thus have had to call as private users (and computer amateur handicraftsmen) every few days with those. Sowas is unreasonable! There should be special computer amateur handicraftsmen an edition of Windows which one only once register must - if at all;) Each case wanted to let install I then equivalent some programs additionally, automatically. I wanted to have however the possibility the programs which can be installed to out/vote out so that am only installed, which I need for the current system. For this reason this project developed. The whole auxiliary functions such as user account production, shell file administration etc. developed many users, I personally that only when desired never needed.

Thus I thank you all those the project advanced hereby again and me to have supported.

Many greetings

Benjamin Kalytta

:(:huh:

Edited by Bendes

Ok...

I gather that basically he is abandoning the project. That is his progative if he chooses to do it. :(

But, the source code is available, which makes building your own version quite possible. I have no idea why SourceForge would reject his project proposal though. Kinda asnine on their end. They did accept my project though: Unix based IP/Domain tools.

The google translator needs some work.

My brain hurts after reading that translation. :wacko:

Google Translator is really awful, I'll provide you with the hand translated mail.

Bad Kreuznach, 31th December 2005

Dear users of my "Windows Installation Helper Utilities",

as you may noticed, there weren't any major changes on my tool since long time now. Because of private and temporal reasons Im not able to continue development of my tool. There are many things that can be improved. I made a list with things to improve, among other things the use of XML instead of INI.

There are many people interessted in this tool and many helped actively to improve it.Even now some people still seems to use it although there are several similar projects, which are even easier to handle. Therefore I tried to move this project to Sourceforge, but they declined it. However I don't know the exact reason why.

Some time ago, I write a similar letter, but because of objections on the part of the users I decided not to stop development. But since this time, I hadn't any time to considerably advance my project. It make no sense to pretend still continue developing. Futhermore I couldn't keep my promise - because the reasons I stated above - I gave in connection with the development of the project. I'll apologize for this in public.

Futhermore, I think towards Windows Vista, it make no sense to continue this project or to do a rewrite as I aimed once. This tool was explicitely optimized and developed for Windows XP and therefore it won't work on Windows Vista.

Nothing speaks against continue using this tool in Windows XP. Except for some known not critical bugs this tool is in stable state. Also the website will be still available.

Every one who wants to continue this project is welcome to do this without almost no restriction. The only request which I have is only that the name of the original developer (thus I) is recognizable in the source code as well as in the Binary. Otherwise the source code is freely available and changeable.

How did it originally come to this project? Approx. 1 year ago there was a report about "Unattendend Windows installation" in the german computer journal c't. I naturally always wanted this, because I installed Windows every few days anyway and I did not want each time to sit beside it around to enter whole data during installation. In this connection: I ask myself what is the intention of Microsoft to use such obligation registration. Afaik, after third on-line registration you have to call Microsoft by Phone. Thus as private user I had to call Microsoft every few days. Such is unreasonable! There should be a special computer tinker edition of Windows which need only registred once - if at all ;) Anyway, I would have an option to select and install certain application automatically. For this reason the project was developed. The whole auxiliary functions such as user account creation, shell folder administration etc. was developed because of user wishes, I personally never needed one of this features.

Thus hereby I thank you all again who advanced the project and supported me

best wishes

Benjamin Kalytta

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

Please download the final version WIHU 2.2. /TopMost switch was added there. Localization entirely changed, each localized string is now saved in a seperate languages.ini file which should make localization easier and less time consuming for me.

I'll stop major development here as I wrote before, but may be I'll fix some bugs (if there) in this new version 2.2 because 15% of the code is new, so there is a chance that there are some bugs inside.

Benjamin

as far as I remember, you're learning French at school

Hehe, yes you are right, but only basic things like "J'mapelle Benjamin" or "J'habite au Allemange à ..." ... or something like this. ;) Don't know if I succeeded the french exam.

I need to add [en] section to the languages.ini, otherwise you won't be able to translate it because you have to translate german [de] messages. But after that, you're welcome to translate it.

Benjamin Kalytta

So, languages.ini is now mandatory. It contains [de] and [en] section for german localization and english localization.

If you want, you may send me the translated languages.ini. It shouldn't be too difficult to translate.

Search order for languages.ini is following:

1. WIHU searches in working directory

2. WIHU searches in application directory (%wihu%)

languages.ini may be saved in UNICODE or ANSI format. UTF-8 isn't allowed.

Benjamin Kalytta