Changes in future versions

Gape

Perhaps WMI 1.5 shouldn't be a part of the the next Service Pack. WMI/WBEM is not only a resource hog, but it would seem from almost all accounts that it is a buggy resource hog. Accounts about its excessive use of CPU are not hard to find. It has very specific and in almost all cases, it seems, unnecessary functionality, as far as 9x systems go.

Please contradict this with any evidence to the contrary. I have tried to find out myself the benefits of installing WMI v.1.5 on 98 SE. It would be great to find a good reason for having it, or any reason for why it is needed, provided that its resource-hogging bugs can be addressed.

If included, its installation ought to be optional.

then why are the Q282949 wbemprox.dll and Q285895 cimwin32.dll updates for WMI 1.5 are in the 98se SP, bristols? can you answer that, huh? HUH!

maybe we'll let Gape or Petr answer this question and explain to you why those two WMI 1.5 updates are included, which they should be included in the SP and they are.

Edited by erpdude8

besides, some third party apps require WMI 1.5 to be installed and may not work correctly without WMI.

Perhaps you could name a few.

WMI buggy? yeah right!!! I know for sure Windows ME has WMI 1.5 installed and removing it may break ME, especially it's Help & Support Center feature. Win2000/XP/2003/Vista also have embedded WMI and it worked well. The Win2k, XP & later versions of WMI seem to be more stable than the ones for W9x/NT4. But at least I know how to setup WMI 1.5 under 9x systems and configure it to work with little or no problems.
I would call a component that uses 90%+ of system resources on the 9x systems of what does seem to be a worrying number of people who make mention of WMI to indicate that WMI has problems running correctly on 9x systems. Or, perhaps this is all in order, and WMI is supposed to use resources like this? You tell me. I will bow to your greater knowledge on the matter. Also, although from what I have read, problems are less frequent on NT-based systems, the same kind of problem (resource-hogging) is still sometimes reported. Go ahead and Google - I'm not making this up. This is what people tend to say about WMI for 9x.

Let's be clear: I'm sure that this spiralling-out-of-control CPU usage isn't how it is for everyone. But I just want to chip in here to let people here know what I have found both from personal experience and from seeking the reports of others. That's all. Please erpdude8, if you do know how to configure WMI correctly to prevent the way it gobbles-up resources, do the community a favour (to add to those you've done it in the past) and let us all know. I truly would be grateful for this information, man - I spent long enough trying to find out.

Also an inclusion for next release of 98SE SP - MDGx's unofficial OLE Automation build 4526 update that includes these specific files:

ASYCFILT.DLL version 2.40.4526

OLEAUT32.DLL version 2.40.4522 (we all know build 4526 doesnt work well on 9xME systems)

OLEPRO32.DLL version 5.0.4526

STDOLE2.TLB version 2.40.4526

100% agreed.

then why are the Q282949 wbemprox.dll and Q285895 cimwin32.dll updates for WMI 1.5 are in the 98se SP, bristols? can you answer that, huh? HUH!

But as you say, this is a question for Gape and Petr, not me. I would guess that, like other components of SP2.1a, Q282949 and Q285895 are there just in case you have a specific component installed (in this case, WMI v.1.5). If you have WMI v.1.5 installed, then hey - here are two updates for that. If not, then so be it. It doesn't mean that Gape or Petr are necessarily endorsing WMI v.1.5 as a great thing to have for 98 SE (but please consult Gape and Petr for their own actual opinions - what do I know? :D ).

This relates to a question I want to ask actually - what would a person have to have installed before installing SP2.1a to get the full benefit of it? Clearly, for example, I won't get IE5.5-only updates from SP2.1a if I have IE6 SP1 installed prior. I would love to see some kind of list detailing an 'optimum pre-SP2.1a software/OS environment'.

Edited by bristols

But as you say, this is a question for Gape and Petr, not me. I would guess that, like other components of SP2.1a, Q282949 and Q285895 are there just in case you have a specific component installed (in this case, WMI v.1.5). If you have WMI v.1.5 installed, then hey - here are two updates for that. If not, then so be it. It doesn't mean that Gape or Petr are necessarily endorsing WMI v.1.5 as a great thing to have for 98 SE (but please consult Gape and Petr for their own actual opinions - what do I know? :D ).

This is exactly my opinion. SE SP just checks if WMI 1.5 is installed and in positive case it performs Q282949 and Q285895 fixes.

Petr

• 3 weeks later...

* New INFEX is improved much. The ugly BATCH window has gone (No RUNPOST.BAT).

* Slipstream support is improved.

* Windows 2000 icons and color scheme will only be installed if you choose "Windows 2000 Theme".

* Unofficial updates are added such as UPDATE.SYS, VOLTRACK.VXD and KRNL386.EXE.

Of course, there is some new official updates.

post-29617-1136401321_thumb.png

Based on the graphic picture, I like the new DESCRIPTION section of the SP install.

I know for myself, it would be nice to have more information about each item that is being installed without having to consult the web-site for the details.

Just getting better all the time ........ :thumbup

Only request would be a README file included in the package that is displayed at the begining or end that details the entire contents of the SP, with current fixes/changes in their own section.

Future versions? Please take a look at gurgelmeyer's usp 5.1 extreme edition for windows 2000.

It will have everything!!!

-slipstream (ok i know it is very tricky for 98se)

-every patch

-all updates

-directx

-.net 1.1, 2.0

-ie6sp1, mp9

-etc.

Simpy perfect. Only thing still missing is an updated driver package...

BTW: i don't give a XXXXX about download size anyway :)

-every patch

-all updates

-directx

-.net 1.1, 2.0

-ie6sp1, mp9

-etc.

Simpy perfect. Only thing still missing is an updated driver package...

BTW: i don't give a XXXXX about download size anyway :)

It was discussed before. They're big, they have different versions, and some people don't like some of them such as Media Player 9 (I don't like it, too :)).

However, I can include updates for some of them, especially for IE 6.0 SP1.

@Lunac: It works on my test system. On the other hand, I strongly recommend that, you should backup your system (You can use Emergency Recovery Utility for a quick and simple backup).

And what about patch for WMF vulnerability, e.g. http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php ?

According to MS06-001, Microsoft will not release the patch because this is not critical security issue: Although Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition do contain the affected component, the vulnerability is not critical because an exploitable attack vector has not been identified that would yield a Critical severity rating for these versions.

Petr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know of an explorer freze fix that also works with IE 5.5 SP2 ?

Despite I have on my system the very files that are transplanted to IE6 to address this bug, explorer freezes when deleting/copying/ moving quantities of very small sized files.

Moving 100 1kb files at once will freeze my explorer for almost sure whereas moving 1000 1Mb files at once will create no problem.