Changes in future versions

Gape

98 SE SP [2.2 or 2.5]:

* Updated INFEX.EXE to 0.3.

* Updated METAPAD.EXE to 3.51.

* Added RESHACKER scripts to modify these files: UPDATE.SYS (new microcodes) , SYSTRAY.EXE (icons), HOTPLUG.DLL (icons), EXPLORER.EXE (bitmaps and icons), SHELL32.DLL (avis and icons).

* Added new option: Uninstall MS JVM [?].

* Added new option: "Copy to" and "Move to" Shell Handlers.

* Added "LocalLoadHigh=1" (Note 1) into the TWEAKS.INF.

* Added MSHDC.INF from Q276602.

* Added Q305575 (REG).

* Added Q897225 (REG).

* Added QFE information and QFECHECK tool [?].

98 SP [2.2 or 2.5]:

* Will be added later.

(Note 1): This setting tells the operating system to load its local drivers into upper memory by default as opposed to trying to squeeze them into conventional memory. Even though you'd think this wouldn't matter anymore, DOS still does play a role in how fast the operating system and leaving it whatever resources it might need is important.

Edited by Gape

Why not call this future SP 2.2?

I don't see any reason to make such a big jump in version numbering like:

• nforce4 support
  • >128GB support
  • >512MB RAM support
  • New installer / uninstaller
  • Any new software

I also would like that image conversion plug-ins for Windows Paint mdgx told about.

Meaby there is also the possibility to include drivers for mainboard chipsets, cpu drivers, ide / scsi controllers which can be problematic to install manually.

A better USB Mass Storage Device Driver would also be nice. Meaby we can use the current XP driver. I don't care about legal issues.

Edited by hp38guser

I'd like the forceASPI 1.7 kept in the pack. The newer ASPI worked when Adaptec first released it, but recently caused havoc in my drives. No DMA, no digital audio extraction, pausing forever when copying files, etc.

The old version still works perfectly nearly all the time, while 4.71a2 sometimes works and oftentimes programs won't detect it properly.

C'mon, why change it?

i'd second that, at least make it optional anyway.

(pity the installer can't do an either/or function with 1.7 as default and 1.8 as optional)

1.7 is the most compatible imo (and many others). i know Gape knows this so why the change it ?

don't upgrade for upgrades sake alone Gape ! :}

i thought that was one of the ideals behind this SP (kinda) :huh:

Edited by miko

Cool. Thanks.

You'd think that Adaptec might update 4.71a2 seeing as how I recall it always working in the past, but for some reason causing problems when used now. Perhaps it's something they could fix?

In any case the 4.60 one installed by ForceASPI 1.7 still works fine.

maybe in version 2.2 or even 2.5 of 98SE SP Gape might want to include the MS Active Accessibility 2.0 files:

msaatext.dll ver. 4.2.5406.0

oleacc.dll ver. 4.2.5406.0

oleaccrc.dll ver. 4.2.5406.0

use the setup.exe, msaa9x.inf, MSAATextA.dll, oleaccA.dll and oleaccrc.dll files to install the MSAA 2.0 files.

And another inclusion for the service pack is the wmi9x.exe file, which installs Windows Management Instrumentation version 1.5 for Win98se.

let the SESP installer run wmi9x.exe file with the /s switch as this .EXE file is a self-extracting WISE installer.

The /s switch installs WMI 1.5 silently. then after running "wmi9x.exe /s" the WMI 1.5 updates Q282949 and Q285895 can be installed on top of WMI 1.5.

And another inclusion for the service pack is the wmi9x.exe file, which installs Windows Management Instrumentation version 1.5 for Win98se.

let the SESP installer run wmi9x.exe file with the /s switch as this .EXE file is a self-extracting WISE installer.

The /s switch installs WMI 1.5 silently. then after running "wmi9x.exe /s" the WMI 1.5 updates Q282949 and Q285895 can be installed on top of WMI 1.5.

Perhaps WMI 1.5 shouldn't be a part of the the next Service Pack. WMI/WBEM is not only a resource hog, but it would seem from almost all accounts that it is a buggy resource hog. Accounts about its excessive use of CPU are not hard to find. It has very specific and in almost all cases, it seems, unnecessary functionality, as far as 9x systems go.

Please contradict this with any evidence to the contrary. I have tried to find out myself the benefits of installing WMI v.1.5 on 98 SE. It would be great to find a good reason for having it, or any reason for why it is needed, provided that its resource-hogging bugs can be addressed.

If included, its installation ought to be optional.

Edited by bristols

If included, its installation ought to be optional.

yes, it should be optional and not forced upon. besides, some third party apps require WMI 1.5 to be installed and may not work correctly without WMI.

WMI buggy? yeah right!!! I know for sure Windows ME has WMI 1.5 installed and removing it may break ME, especially it's Help & Support Center feature. Win2000/XP/2003/Vista also have embedded WMI and it worked well. The Win2k, XP & later versions of WMI seem to be more stable than the ones for W9x/NT4. But at least I know how to setup WMI 1.5 under 9x systems and configure it to work with little or no problems.

Also an inclusion for next release of 98SE SP - MDGx's unofficial OLE Automation build 4526 update that includes these specific files:

ASYCFILT.DLL version 2.40.4526

OLEAUT32.DLL version 2.40.4522 (we all know build 4526 doesnt work well on 9xME systems)

OLEPRO32.DLL version 5.0.4526

STDOLE2.TLB version 2.40.4526

Edited by erpdude8