Cheating the OS

lo_gic_bomb

Hey, new here, so I probably sound like a layman, but, got bought a wireless mouse and keyboard for xmas, but they are designed for 2000 or newer. I dont really wanna upgrade my OS cos I'm quite happy with 98 thanks! So is there anyway I can "cheat" and get the new stuff to run on the old OS?

You may want to forage through the BIOS settings to get the system to treat USB keyboard/mouse to legacy support, or something. I got a USB keyboard to work under DOS etc in this, even when the PS/2 ports failed.

W

Hey, new here, so I probably sound like a layman, but, got bought a wireless mouse and keyboard for xmas, but they are designed for 2000 or newer. I dont really wanna upgrade my OS cos I'm quite happy with 98 thanks! So is there anyway I can "cheat" and get the new stuff to run on the old OS?

Have you tried just plugging them in? Perhaps Windows detects them and finds

working drivers automatically.

Interesting point with the BIOS and all. I suggest you DONT just try plugging the mouse/keyboard into the computer. When you do that with no drivers in windows 98, you might as well just give the OS a Cyanide pill. Although, if you DID do that, windows 98 would prompt you for a driver and you could do what tguy was talking about and tell windows 98 to just use a regular keyboard driver and regular mouse driver. If in fact the box or w/e says it'll only work on windows 2000 and up, keep in mind that Windows Me was released after 2000; in which case there should be a windows me driver that you could most likely use on windows 98SE.

Get rid of mouse and keyboard legacy

All you need is

IRQ for USB:yes

USB:ON

Usb legacy:NONE

To tell you the truth I found pS2 with Ps2rate was the most powerful, the usb mouse seems to stick when the cpu sucks the juice or a heavy operation.

But I'm still on usb v1 :}