LAN Boot Problem

Happy new Year everybody!

I've got a problem with one of our new PCs, which I want to boot via LAN.

The PC does not have a floppy drive by default, with this configuration it would not boot the transferred image from our PXE server.

When I insert a floppy drive into the PC there is no problem at all, everything works. :blink:

The message during the failed boot says something like that:

Please insert the name of the command line interpreter (e.g. c:\windows\command.com)

Does someone have an idea how I could solve this problem?

Could this be a problem of our PXE server or the boot images?

Any help would be apreciated!

Thanks

Ralf

When you are booting by lan, you might be sending an image disk that connects over the LAN.

It is probably expecting a version of DOS to do this, since the message is a DOS message.

One possibility is to get hold of the freedos version of command.com (which is not DOS version dependent), or 4DOS, and then point to that, eg a:\command.com

Explore the environment, ie SET, and find out what the truename of drives are, eg truename a:\ or dir c:\

W

Thanks for your answer os2fan2, :thumbup

the weird thing about this is, that the bootdisk seems to get transferred to my client an the client attempts to boot the disk.

Transfering control to DOS boot diskette image...
Starting Windows 98...

Please insert the name of the command line interpreter (e.g. c:\windows\command.com)
A>_

So your suggestion would be to insert a non-MS command.com into the floppy image?

Probably a silly question - but is there a command.com file on the network image root? Make sure there is a command.com in the path your PXE boot is connecting to, or you'll get this error. Could be something else, but it's definitely looking for a command.com file somewhere :).

Well last time i took a look a the disks there was a command.com ;)

Probably this is a problem with the version of the command.com I am using.

I am now trying the ultimate network bootdisk, it uses a Windows XP bootdisk, maybe me lucky with this 1...