need lightweight spyware/virus protection

I am deploying some antivirus/antispyware software solution for a gaming room. I am concerned with keeping them secure, however I also want to make sure I am not sacrificing much perofmrnace. No internet browsing will occur on the computers, so I am fairly confident most spyware/antivirus solutions will do the trick..

any suggestions?! B)

thx!

As for the question - if the computers aren't going to have internet access, then anti-virus programs probably aren't necessary in the first place. You'd be better off setting up the computers as you need them, and then creating an image of the hard drive. If anything goes wrong, simply restore the image.

Secondly - wrong forum. Moved to Software hangout.

I am deploying some anti virus/antispyware software solution for a gaming room. I am concerned with keeping them secure, however I also want to make sure I am not sacrificing much performance. No Internet browsing will occur on the computers, so I am fairly confident most spy ware/anti virus solutions will do the trick..

any suggestions?! B)

thx!

use faronics deep freeze! it takes care of everything! viruses, worms, Trojans, spy ware, with a simple restart! and does not affect system performance! it sounds like the best solution for u. I'm tried of explaining the magic of it so just go here for more info! It doesn't say this there but if u expect to be saving anything u must partition Ur "docs and settings" folder into a separate partition and when deep freeze askers you what to freeze..dont select the drive letter u gave Ur docs and settings folder!

• 1 year later...
As for the question - if the computers aren't going to have internet access, then anti-virus programs probably aren't necessary in the first place. You'd be better off setting up the computers as you need them, and then creating an image of the hard drive. If anything goes wrong, simply restore the image.

lol exaclty.

if you decide to later on allow internet browsing to these machines then i suggest nod32 as well. (you wont even know its there!)

Holy thread resurrection Batman...

@as1308 - Since you're new here, I'll give you the lowdown. We typically try not to bring back year old (or older) threads unless something really important needs to be said. If you want to state your opinion about the best AV program, you can do that in this thread. :)

I have personally been using and recommending Eset NOD32 for a long time by now, and i still think that it's a great application because of it's small size and low memmory footprint + it's good signature based detetction and it's best heuristics based detetction, but after having read some posts here by several knowledgeble old-timers(Zxian, Jeremy etc.), then i decided that there where actually no reason to use any anti-virus app at all if just using some common sence and to always have a backup image of the system drive available + to seperate the data from the OS and it's installed apps.

Just my two cents :)

@Zxian

I am really sorry for having continued this thread as i had somehow completely missed your previous post, so please delete my post if you see it fit and again, i'm really sorry about that :)

Edited by Martin H

:lol:

Meh - once the thread is up - it's up.

One note about getting AV protection - I don't recommend what I do (i.e. no anti-virus) for the "common" user. The "common" computer user is dumb and will make mistakes. Making mistakes isn't the problem, but when they don't know how to fix it - that's when we run into troubles.